CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   water pump torque spec (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/63665-water-pump-torque-spec.html)

mastermikie 09-01-2013 08:44 PM

water pump torque spec

Ok atm the sites ability to download the documentation is nil. i was hoping to find the service manual for all the correct info on replacing the water pump. at this point i can find enough general data(and have done water pumps on other vehicles) that i think i can do this easy enough. my only concern is re-torque on reassembly. anyone have the torque spec for the water pump bolts?
I say thank you in advance.

onehundred80 09-01-2013 08:57 PM

Re: water pump torque spec

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mastermikie (Post 756626)
Ok atm the sites ability to download the documentation is nil. i was hoping to find the service manual for all the correct info on replacing the water pump. at this point i can find enough general data(and have done water pumps on other vehicles) that i think i can do this easy enough. my only concern is re-torque on reassembly. anyone have the torque spec for the water pump bolts?
I say thank you in advance.

See attached details.

mastermikie 09-01-2013 09:02 PM

TYVM.. you rock!

grip grip 09-01-2013 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That diagram is very misleading. If you try to put 26 ft lbs on the smaller bolts they are going to break. Please take a look at the attached specs also from the service manual.

M6 bolts: 7 ft lbs
M8 bolts: 26 ft lbs

mastermikie 09-01-2013 09:31 PM

TY for the correction.
always appreciate info that prevents breakage. ;)

onehundred80 09-01-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mastermikie (Post 756632)
TY for the correction.
always appreciate info that prevents breakage. ;)

Sorry about that. I just got it from the manual. but when grip grip piped up I remembered his post a few months back.
Just shows you cannot believe all you see, two bolt sizes. I should have looked up that other page.:(

mastermikie 09-01-2013 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 756639)
Sorry about that. I just got it from the manual. but when grip grip piped up I remembered his post a few months back.
Just shows you cannot believe all you see, two bolt sizes. I should have looked up that other page.:(

Its all good. I appreciate the efforts of all.

grip grip 09-02-2013 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 756639)

You're rarely off your game, so definitely an anomaly. :)

waldig 09-02-2013 07:26 AM

Torque is king on this work and it is really important that the bolts be kept straight as there are MANY and several different lengths to keep track of, Woody. Enjoy.;):D

mastermikie 09-02-2013 01:09 PM

I am just thankful for such a good resource. i spent quite a bit of time reading all the threads on water pump replacement. lots of good info! :D

mikehagg123 01-05-2014 05:21 PM

Should anti seize or anything else be put on these bolts when installing the water pump back in? Only on one post do I remember someone mentioning anti seize.... I'm probably going to use it because "why not"....but just thought I would check to see if anyone would recommend for or against it. Thanks.

Chrisjlyon 04-30-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by grip grip (Post 756631)
That diagram is very misleading. If you try to put 26 ft lbs on the smaller bolts they are going to break. Please take a look at the attached specs also from the service manual.

M6 bolts: 7 ft lbs
M8 bolts: 26 ft lbs

Damn wish I had searched for this thread two days ago. I was mislead by the service manual torque and ended up snapping two bolts installing my new pump. Oh I could get out but the other no luck. It's basically ruined that boot hole.

onehundred80 04-30-2017 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisjlyon (Post 886364)
Damn wish I had searched for this thread two days ago. I was mislead by the service manual torque and ended up snapping two bolts installing my new pump. Oh I could get out but the other no luck. It's basically ruined that boot hole.

I think that the torque value for the 8mm bolt is too high, it would be OK for a 10mm bolt in aluminum. I think the value for the 8mm bolt should be about 16 - 18 Ft.Lbs. I studied various charts and came up with those figures. I do not think the class of the bolt should alter the torque value in our aluminum block.

You were lucky the 6mm bolt broke instead of stripping the aluminum thread.

In matters like this I think caution should be used.

Chrisjlyon 04-30-2017 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 886389)

You were lucky the 6mm bolt broke instead of stripping the aluminum thread.

No, turns out I did that too. Guess I'll have to tap it and put a helicoil insert in. Fml.

dedwards0323 04-30-2017 07:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are a couple of resources I've used for tightening torques of metric fasteners.

onehundred80 04-30-2017 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323 (Post 886398)
Attached are a couple of resources I've used for tightening torques of metric fasteners.

We need the specific torque figures for aluminum, figures given in charts are most often the recommended torque for that particular screw in high strength materials, the figure is adjusted downward for softer and more ductile materials.

dedwards0323 05-01-2017 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See if this chart gives us what we're looking for.

Chrisjlyon 05-07-2017 06:43 PM

Well got it done. Spent the day today drilling and tapping. Ran it and went for a little drive. No leaks so far.