CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   TSBs and How-To Articles (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/)
-   -   Transmission service guide (auto 5 speed). (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/72211-transmission-service-guide-auto-5-speed.html)

Wes__Hutchinson 08-02-2015 10:30 PM

Transmission service guide (auto 5 speed).

Heres a link to a 40k mile service interval for the auto tranny found in crossfires. Hope it isn't a repeat. If it is, mods please delete.

Mercedes 5-speed Transmission Service Walkthrough (722.6 Transmissions) | FCP Euro

ExFire 10-26-2015 04:36 AM

Re: Transmission service guide (auto 5 speed).

This link is broken, do we have a copy of this elsewhere?

maxcichon 10-26-2015 07:19 AM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/blog/posts/m...-transmissions

spillagecars 11-03-2015 04:11 PM

I put together the service kit referenced in the FCP Euro article, feel free to email or PM me if you have an questions related to it or other products on the site

--Kyle (kyleb@fcpeuro.com)
Mercedes Product Manager

Fla_Xfire_SRT 11-03-2015 06:23 PM

The author of that article says that only early model trannys have drain plugs for the torque converters and that he feels that this step is OPTIONAL??? I just cant see why contaminating the fresh fluid with what is in the TC could be considered anything but .. NOT RECOMMENDED. They even offered that option at the dealer to save $$. I went the full flush route.

spillagecars 11-04-2015 09:24 AM

His reasoning was that as long as service intervals are followed, a drain and fill is sufficient.

--Kyle (kyleb@fcpeuro.com)

pizzaguy 11-26-2015 12:04 PM

Yea, since so many people only change the fluid either at 100,000 miles OR when the damn thing fails to shift properly...

JohnGiaccio 03-17-2017 08:51 AM

I purchased the Special Dipstick Tool, however, it will not go all the way down into the transmission. I wanted to check my fluid level, so I ordered the dip stick, but something is blocking it from going into the transmission. Any ideas? Thanks, John

ala_xfire 03-17-2017 09:14 AM

How do you know ? Is it because no fluid shows up on the end ?

onehundred80 03-17-2017 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JohnGiaccio (Post 883734)
I purchased the Special Dipstick Tool, however, it will not go all the way down into the transmission. I wanted to check my fluid level, so I ordered the dip stick, but something is blocking it from going into the transmission. Any ideas? Thanks, John

Not sure what you mean but ....
The dipstick does not go all the way into the tube like the engine oil dipstick, it sticks out a foot or so. It is for many cars and trucks so it is longer than required for the Crossfire.
Only the black plastic end needs to go into the oil, it hits the stop an inch or so under the oil level.

JohnGiaccio 03-17-2017 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, as I slide the dipstick into the transmission, it comes to a stop, with quite a bit of the dipstick cable staying out. The black portion does not show any signs of being in the fluid at all. By the way, if the entire dipstick is not meant to go all the way in like a traditional dip stick does, then how is anyone supposed to check the level?

ala_xfire 03-17-2017 10:28 AM

The entire dipstick does NOT go in, it is a sort of universal MB thing.
You push it in until it stops, supposedly it has hit the pan.
Take the engine cover off and see approx how much distance between the top of the tube and the pan, that is how much should go in.
If that pretty well matches up with what you are seeing, then you have NO fluid.

Check the level with the car fully warmed up and idling in Park.

Here's a video :

onehundred80 03-17-2017 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGiaccio (Post 883742)
Thanks for the reply. To be clear, as I slide the dipstick into the transmission, it comes to a stop, with quite a bit of the dipstick cable staying out. The black portion does not show any signs of being in the fluid at all. By the way, if the entire dipstick is not meant to go all the way in like a traditional dip stick does, then how is anyone supposed to check the level?

If you had a well that was ten feet deep with two feet of water in the bottom and you put a fifteen foot long dry stick down the well until you hit the bottom, how much would the end of the stick get wet?
Or can this test not be done because the stick is too long?

JohnGiaccio 03-17-2017 02:29 PM

THanks for the video. I had no idea that the dipstick was not meant to go all the way down the tube and remain like a normal dipstick. Like the video, I have a considerable amount sticking out of the transmission fill tube as well. I think you are correct that the black part of the stick is just bottoming out on the inside of the tranny pan. The vehicle has 22,300 miles on it and the trans works perfectly. I would guess that if it was "low" to the point of not showing on the stick, that there would be some drive ability issue. Thanks for the video again, I will check the fluid once again to make sure I was doing it properly. Have a great day.

spillagecars 03-21-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by JohnGiaccio (Post 883742)

Be very careful to heed the temp markings on the stick as fluid volume changes with temp. You will show low on the stick if the trans is not up to temp and as others alluded to it's not uncommon for the stick to protrude a foot over the tube when you are checking the level.

Kyle (kyleb@fcpeuro.com)

JohnGiaccio 03-21-2017 02:26 PM

Thank you again for the response. I have the tool, I will check it again. I feel better now that I know the dipstick "tool" does NOT go all the way down.

dandujar 03-26-2017 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great video. I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire. I pulled off the silver engine cover and could not locate the transmission dipstick filler cap. Can you help? I have enclosed photos.

dandujar 03-26-2017 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another photo.

dandujar 03-26-2017 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another picture.

onehundred80 03-27-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dandujar (Post 884213)
Great video. I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire. I pulled off the silver engine cover and could not locate the transmission dipstick filler cap. Can you help? I have enclosed photos.

That great video shows exactly where the filler cap is, it only actually vaguely shows it but you can see the red lock being removed from the filler tube. You may have a black lock instead if a red one, that may be a good inducation the oil has never been changed or checkered.