TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Old 01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Smile How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Doing a filter / fluid change isn’t a hard job, just VERY MESSY!

PARTS LIST
Trans Filter
Pan Gasket (can use old one if still good)
Fluid
Trans Filler Cap (you can reuse the old one)

TOOLS
Jack
Jack Stands
Big @ss (BA) piece of Cardboard
Drain Pan
5mm Allen Wrench
T30 Tork Bit
Funnel
Trans Dip Stick

Trans Filter Remove/Replace
  • Jack up the car and put it on the jack stands. You need to get under the car so get it high enough so you can work.
  • Lay the BA piece of Cardboard down to catch the BA mess yer gonna make.
  • Use the 5mm Allen Wrench to remove the trans pan drain bolt. NOTE: That sucker is ON THERE! Gonna take some extra leverage to loosen it. I used a small piece of pipe. TIP: I held the side of the bolt with a magnet pen so it wouldn’t drop into the fluid.
  • Drain fluid into drain pan.
  • Reinstall trans pan drain bolt.
  • Use the T30 Tork Bit to remove the six trans pan retaining bolts. TIP: Do the four corners first letting the two center bolts hold the pan in place till yer ready to drop the pan. NOTE: The drain extends into the pan and all of the fluid doesn’t come out so there will still be plenty of trans fluid in the pan.
  • Remove trans pan and set aside.
  • Remove the trans filter by pulling down and wiggling it. When it lets go you will get more trans fluid.
  • Wipe a little trans fluid on the o ring of the new trans filter and install the new filter by pushing up and wiggling (the filter not yer self!)
  • Clean the trans pan and the magnet that is in the pan.
  • Position new pan gasket on pan.
  • Clean the pan mounting surface on the trans and reinstall the pan.
  • Torque the pan bolts to 71 INCH pounds (INCH not foot).

You are now finished with the underside of the car and it’s time to fill up the transmission with fluid.

TIP: Because checking the trans fluid level is a PITA I measured the amount of fluid that I took out of the trans and put that much (plus a little more for the spillage, ok a lot more for the spillage) back into the trans to start with.

TIP: The one time use cap that covers the trans fill tube CAN be use over and over again. The trick is to snap off the rectangular piece on the top of the cap and then use a small screwdriver or whatever and push the remaining part of the “lock” down through the cap. Keep the “lock” part, yer gonna reuse it.
  • Remove the trans filler lock cap from the filler tube.
  • SLOWLY add about six quarts of the trans fluid.
  • Start the car. Apply the brake and cycle the trans through the gears. Car off.
  • Continue to fill the trans with the proper amount of fluid. NOTE: Remember to get the proper level of fluid you will have to follow the temp/level chart located in the manual.
  • Reinstall the trans filler neck cap and push the “lock” back into the cap. It will lock in place and stay there.
  • Lower car and test drive.
  • Go back and clean up the BA mess you made!
Yer welcome!

I'll add pics later...

Last edited by tighed1; 05-18-2010 at 03:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tighed1:
Brandon2002 (02-09-2021), Firefly2018 (03-17-2023), MDKEEHN13 (06-15-2023), Roy1958 (10-07-2020)
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace

Start the car. Apply the brake and cycle the trans through the gears. Car off.
At that part should the car be off the jack stands? Does the car need to move? I have my car up on jackstands for the winter with all the wheels off. Do you think it will be fine if I drive it in the air.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-23-2023)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
Start the car. Apply the brake and cycle the trans through the gears. Car off.
At that part should the car be off the jack stands? Does the car need to move? I have my car up on jackstands for the winter with all the wheels off. Do you think it will be fine if I drive it in the air.
I did it while it was up. Helps in looking for possible leaks also. Just be sure to use the foot brake in addition to the hand brake.

DISCLAIMER: Of course the SAFEST way would be to lower the car first.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, a Lot, tighed!

Couple of questions, however.

How do I know it is "71 inch pounds"?;
Torque the pan bolts to 71 INCH pounds (INCH not foot).

and (2), don't I have to have some sort of temp. gun to get the temp/level right?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Forum Regular

blackberry125.jpg

This IS the correct filter/gasket, right?

And I know I have asked this before, but should I keep the valvoline NAG-1 I have, or take it back to autozone and go get mopar atf+4 from the Chrysler stealership?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Forum Regular

NOTE: Be sure to use the correct transmission fluid, Mopar p/n 05127382AA.

The ATF+4 and the Valvoline fluid are not the same as the correct fluid.

Last edited by VQ35DE; 01-22-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

Took the valvoline back and I got Amsoil. Woot!
My friend is taking auto mechanics for a vocational in high school, I wish I would've. she showed me some filters from a 2 MONTH MOPAR and a 2 YEAR Amsoil and the amsoil was way WAY cleaner than the MOPAR. I'll ask her if I can borrow them to take pictures.
Anyway, Plan on taking the crossfire to my local Chrysler dealership because they said they can do it.
How long do you think it will take them to do this job?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine to the dealer and had it serviced new filter fluid completely drained tq converter took 1 hour and cost was 149.99 only reason I didn't do it myself was the MESS didn't want it in my garage

Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular

The only way to drain the torque converter would be to remove the transmission and torque converter. None of our cars have the drain plug on the converter. The other way to get a complete flush of the fluid would be to use a specialized machine. For $150 they probably just drained the fluid in the pan and replaced the filter. About half of the fluid is replaced when doing this(about 3-4liters). If you are certain they did a complete flush (with a machine) please let us know who is willing to do this for so cheap.

Originally Posted by hcarter
I took mine to the dealer and had it serviced new filter fluid completely drained tq converter took 1 hour and cost was 149.99 only reason I didn't do it myself was the MESS didn't want it in my garage

Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting I wil go by the dealer this saturday morning and find out ,I am sure the shop forman said converter too, the bill just says change fluid / filter after looking at it..

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Forum Regular

20100213_1.jpg

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM

How about the back label?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
The only way to drain the torque converter would be to remove the transmission and torque converter. None of our cars have the drain plug on the converter. The other way to get a complete flush of the fluid would be to use a specialized machine. For $150 they probably just drained the fluid in the pan and replaced the filter. About half of the fluid is replaced when doing this(about 3-4liters). If you are certain they did a complete flush (with a machine) please let us know who is willing to do this for so cheap.
Maybe not a good comparison but I just had our Buick Century trans filter and fluid change yesterday.
Machine hooked to trans lines and ALL 14.6 quarts of fluid were flushed completely out then a trans cleaner was run through and finally 14.6 new quarts of fluid put back in.

179.00 + tax

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-08-2023)
Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
The only way to drain the torque converter would be to remove the transmission and torque converter. None of our cars have the drain plug on the converter.
So do our cars have a TC drain plug or not? James

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like DJ found one....lol...tranny fluid changes are always messy...
Valk, don't think they did a complete change on yours...you need to open it up to change filter and drain TC. Did they drop the pan or not?....but, each to their own...

Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is what I have used for years. The difference between a BA mess and just a mess.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
Here is what I have used for years. The difference between a BA mess and just a mess.

Nice find James, we have make-shift metal one we use at the shop...it catches just about everything, except what runs down your arm....lol

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Forum Regular

I am FURIOUS.
I took the crossfire to my Chrysler dealership and told them that I wanted a tranny fluid flush. They said OK, and got on it. I told them that I had 9 qts. of AMSOIL ATF and a trans. oil filter in the hatch, they said OK, I went to the waiting room and they pulled it in.
1 hour later they call me to the cashier, I pay the $60 labor charge and go out to get my car.
I open the hatch expecting 1/2 qt. or T. fluid left. There were 6 qts.
I went back in and I was like "there are only 3 qts. gone" the guy was like, "yeah, that's all we got out from dropping the pan" I walked out confused about what to do. I called another Chrysler dealership in Crawfordsville(York) and told the service manager what had happened. He told me to turn around immediately and take the car back and demand it be fixed correctly. So I did. I called the Dealership I took it to at 5:33, I asked if there was ANYONE leftover from service (when I was there, there was 9 people and 6 standing around) they said they would page service and then told me no one was still there, they close at 5:30. No one was there 3 minutes late? Gr.
I left a note in the drop box saying that I want the whole fluid change, all 8.5qts. The car is sitting there, hoping they fix it Right.
I am afraid that they will just take the oil in the hatch and tell me they fixed it and they really didn't.
What do I do???
I am so pissed/upset.

rant over, hoping for help.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do (unless it says complete fluid change or something like it on the receipt) and there is no real way of knowing what they do back there unless you equip the car with hidden cameras. I have worked at a few dealerships and there are good and bad mechanics out there. The service manager however is the prime factor in what you get for your money. I found out since I last posted on this topic that a lot of the quick oil change places have the fluid exchange machines needed to exchange all the fluid(don't expect them to have the good fluid though) and you can watch them perform the work on your car in most cases.

Originally Posted by HowardJ
I am FURIOUS.
I took the crossfire to my Chrysler dealership and told them that I wanted a tranny fluid flush. They said OK, and got on it. I told them that I had 9 qts. of AMSOIL ATF and a trans. oil filter in the hatch, they said OK, I went to the waiting room and they pulled it in.
1 hour later they call me to the cashier, I pay the $60 labor charge and go out to get my car.
I open the hatch expecting 1/2 qt. or T. fluid left. There were 6 qts.
I went back in and I was like "there are only 3 qts. gone" the guy was like, "yeah, that's all we got out from dropping the pan" I walked out confused about what to do. I called another Chrysler dealership in Crawfordsville(York) and told the service manager what had happened. He told me to turn around immediately and take the car back and demand it be fixed correctly. So I did. I called the Dealership I took it to at 5:33, I asked if there was ANYONE leftover from service (when I was there, there was 9 people and 6 standing around) they said they would page service and then told me no one was still there, they close at 5:30. No one was there 3 minutes late? Gr.
I left a note in the drop box saying that I want the whole fluid change, all 8.5qts. The car is sitting there, hoping they fix it Right.
I am afraid that they will just take the oil in the hatch and tell me they fixed it and they really didn't.
What do I do???
I am so pissed/upset.

rant over, hoping for help.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Forum Regular

well they have already used 3 qts. of the oil I provided. They need to replace that at their cost. the paper they gave me ONLY stated "transmission service" nothing specific, and they didn't make me circle YES or NO when it asked if I understood what was happening with the supposed flush. So I atleast have that in my favor.

Quick Reply: How To - Transmission Filter/Fluid Replace