TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

Service Bulletin # 18-030-04

Group: Vehicle Performance

This bulletin basically involves erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new/updated software.

This bulletin applies to vehicles built on/before December 13 of 2003.

The symptom is a "Check Engine Light" illumination, without a noticeable problem in how the car runs.

Last edited by mightyjlr; 10-27-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

After reading about this TSB, and truly feeling that my car was not running and performing as smoothly as a $36k car should, I asked my dealer to do the PCM update. Even though the "check engine" light was not on, they did the update as a courtesy to me. Well, the car now has better throttle response and a smoother takeoff and response through the gears (automatic). I like my XF much better now. Smooth AND good looking!

Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular

Nice to see that some dealers believe in customer care!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 AM

So with this PCM reflash, do you think I need it on my 2004? It could of been make before Dec 2003. And with a PCM reflash, does that reflash your ECU or something else? Because I had powerchip reflash my ECU, so I don't want it to go back stock. Thanks.

P.S. If I do need to flash the PCM, would the dealer give me crap or can I go somewhere else for it?

Old 07-06-2005, 01:42 PM

I looked for this TSB in the link, http://www.ownersite.com/TSBYear.cfm, provided in another thread but didn't find this issue. I also goggled TSB + 18-030-04. Got another list that didn't contain this either. Anyone know where I can find our more about this? My car was build before Dec '03 but isn't putting out any errors.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Exclamation Re: Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

To anyone who's dealership says they don't need the update when you know that you do:

My car is 6100 something made in September of 03'... I work at a dealer... When the tech puts the VIN into TechConnect the update is not shown. Strange so we went to the tab that shows the build date and the field was empty.. We ran a VIN inquiry and low and behold there was no build date there either... I'm sure there must be other early crossfires missing the build date too.. Thus the reason for TechConnect not identifying the car as needing the update even though it DID.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

Mine was missing a build date until about 4 days ago, when Chrysler finally emailed the answer to my question that I have been asking them for weeks. I asked... "According to your records, what is my cars official build date?" I probably asked that question about 10 times with in the last two weeks. I just got a response about 4 days ago. They said "Nov. 17th 2003". Good luck to all others who may have this same problem.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Smile Re: Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

My Crossfire is build 4500 something. I also didn't get any engine light, but felt it was very sluggish, bogging down during acceleration. They checked and said it did require an update! Re-flashed and I can tell you it made a big difference! Much better throttle response, low and high RPM's. It seems to breathe better.\

I also installed the K&N filters after this. I believe this also improved air flow, it even sounds different! Off the subject but I install the Mopar/Borla Catback system Friday, can't wait to check it out! Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More info:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Chrysler/...-04/index.html

Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Thumbs up Re: Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04

This is just "Food for Thought"...

The "TUNE" of the engine and transmission on my 2005 XFR is considerably different that it was on my 2004 XFC.
STOCK condition... and the XFR is quicker and the shifts are more positive.
I even average 26+ MPG vs 24+ MPG...and that is with 2,500 miles vs 10K!!!
DC has done something!!! Maybe this is what the end result is!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from my dealer and they said that they wouldn't do an upgrade because there was no problem. Not that there was a problem but I just wanted them to do the update. They still won't do one unless my check engine light comes on. My car is #8059 with a build date of 9/25/03, don't they still need to do it anyway? It's not like it costs them anything.

My car didn't have a build date either till monday.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM

Is there anyway to tell if this has been done? If you ask the dealer do they have to tell you what version is installed? I have a very early production number (800 something) - would it be part of the cooling fan program?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:24 PM

Is this update for autos only or for 6 speed as well?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nyazai
Is there anyway to tell if this has been done? If you ask the dealer do they have to tell you what version is installed? I have a very early production number (800 something) - would it be part of the cooling fan program?
If this was done there will be a sticker on the under side of the hood that tells you the date it was done, the part # and car owners name.

This update as far as I know is for both 6 speed and auto.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 PM

OK, met with the "master tech" at my Chrysler service dept today, he seemed to know about the update and was willing to do it, since I was having other warranty work done at the same time (Radio/CD, broken foglight housing, transmission leak). Mentioned that the car shifted like an E-Class, and he just smiled! Will advise on what they do, and if it makes a difference...

He also said that the supercharger addition would only require minor transmission mods, mostly programming. Could this be true? He seems to know his stuff, and has a healthy distain for the XF without bad-mouthing it! (which I read as honesty).

Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM

Immediately after my wife took her Crossfire in for the 15k mile service the DTC P0300 “Multiple Cylinder Misfire” appeared. So, she returned it to the Dealer (she has become accustomed to taking it in more than once for the same problem) who said they would get it fixed. When they returned the car, they said they had re-flashed the PCM and that the car was fixed.

When I drove the car a few days later, I noticed a hesitation in the acceleration when shifting gears (6 speed standard tranny). My wife said she felt it as well but wasn’t sure what was causing it. So, again she returned it to the Dealer. The tech took a ride with my wife, and afterwards said she didn’t know how to shift properly, there was nothing wrong with the car.

Therefore, I took the car in and repeatedly demonstrated the problem, of the car hesitating when shifting, and I was also told that I did not know how to properly shift the car. The tech said you could not place your foot on the clutch peddle until you were ready to depress the clutch and that you have to take your foot completely off of the throttle before touching the clutch peddle with your other foot.

Both my wife and I have driven standard transmissions for over 25 years and now all of the sudden we are incompetent and do not know how to shift properly? After a loud exchange with the tech in front of the Service Manager, I took the Tech Supervisor for a ride and showed him the problem. And, after a brief exchange with him the Dealer agreed to re-flash the re-flashed PCM again. I should relay at this point that the Tech Supervisor told me that the Crossfire was simply a production car and that if I expected sports car performance, i.e. the ability to speed shift etc., I should have purchased a Ferrari. Anyways, after the re-re-flash the problem is even worse. And, here’s the rub, the Dealer now says there is nothing wrong with the car and that we should learn how to shift properly.

So I ask, if you hold the throttle constant can you shift gears in your car without it hesitating? If you lightly tap the top of the clutch peddle will the acceleration remain constant? If you hold the throttle constant and press the clutch will the engine rev up or drop first then rev up? Can you depress the clutch about a half-inch, or all the way even, when driving without the engine hesitating? My wife’s Crossfire would rev up if you did this, now it decelerates and then revs up.

In my wife’s Crossfire if you lightly tap the top of the clutch while driving it will hesitate as if you had rapidly taken your foot completely off the throttle and then reapplied it to the same rate of acceleration. You cannot place your foot on the clutch and begin depressing the clutch, as your let off the gas, without the throttle dropping out before you completely disengage the clutch. In affect you get a quick hesitation (as the throttle automatically drops out), an acceleration (as the car realizes you have not disengaged the clutch yet), and then a de-acceleration as you press the clutch enough to make it disengage and let off the gas.

The car did not do this when we purchased it. It had not do this for the last two years we have driven it, it does it now after the re-flash and yet the Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. The car shifted great (after the Dealer rebuilt the tranny) for the last year and all of the sudden, after the re-flash, it sucks to drive it. No car I have ever driven, with a standard transmission, has performed (are failed to perform) like this. Why can’t I make this Dealer understand what is wrong with the car?

I think when you touch the clutch the PCM is checking the cruise control and thinks the cruise is engaged so it is dropping the throttle to prevent an over-rev, but the cruise is not engaged so you get a hesitation at each shift instead.

Any advice or comments welcome, and thx in advance for any assistance provided.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trmn8
Immediately after my wife took her Crossfire in for the 15k mile service the DTC P0300 “Multiple Cylinder Misfire” appeared. So, she returned it to the Dealer (she has become accustomed to taking it in more than once for the same problem) who said they would get it fixed. When they returned the car, they said they had re-flashed the PCM and that the car was fixed.

When I drove the car a few days later, I noticed a hesitation in the acceleration when shifting gears (6 speed standard tranny). My wife said she felt it as well but wasn’t sure what was causing it. So, again she returned it to the Dealer. The tech took a ride with my wife, and afterwards said she didn’t know how to shift properly, there was nothing wrong with the car.

Therefore, I took the car in and repeatedly demonstrated the problem, of the car hesitating when shifting, and I was also told that I did not know how to properly shift the car. The tech said you could not place your foot on the clutch peddle until you were ready to depress the clutch and that you have to take your foot completely off of the throttle before touching the clutch peddle with your other foot.

Both my wife and I have driven standard transmissions for over 25 years and now all of the sudden we are incompetent and do not know how to shift properly? After a loud exchange with the tech in front of the Service Manager, I took the Tech Supervisor for a ride and showed him the problem. And, after a brief exchange with him the Dealer agreed to re-flash the re-flashed PCM again. I should relay at this point that the Tech Supervisor told me that the Crossfire was simply a production car and that if I expected sports car performance, i.e. the ability to speed shift etc., I should have purchased a Ferrari. Anyways, after the re-re-flash the problem is even worse. And, here’s the rub, the Dealer now says there is nothing wrong with the car and that we should learn how to shift properly.

So I ask, if you hold the throttle constant can you shift gears in your car without it hesitating? If you lightly tap the top of the clutch peddle will the acceleration remain constant? If you hold the throttle constant and press the clutch will the engine rev up or drop first then rev up? Can you depress the clutch about a half-inch, or all the way even, when driving without the engine hesitating? My wife’s Crossfire would rev up if you did this, now it decelerates and then revs up.

In my wife’s Crossfire if you lightly tap the top of the clutch while driving it will hesitate as if you had rapidly taken your foot completely off the throttle and then reapplied it to the same rate of acceleration. You cannot place your foot on the clutch and begin depressing the clutch, as your let off the gas, without the throttle dropping out before you completely disengage the clutch. In affect you get a quick hesitation (as the throttle automatically drops out), an acceleration (as the car realizes you have not disengaged the clutch yet), and then a de-acceleration as you press the clutch enough to make it disengage and let off the gas.

The car did not do this when we purchased it. It had not do this for the last two years we have driven it, it does it now after the re-flash and yet the Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. The car shifted great (after the Dealer rebuilt the tranny) for the last year and all of the sudden, after the re-flash, it sucks to drive it. No car I have ever driven, with a standard transmission, has performed (are failed to perform) like this. Why can’t I make this Dealer understand what is wrong with the car?

I think when you touch the clutch the PCM is checking the cruise control and thinks the cruise is engaged so it is dropping the throttle to prevent an over-rev, but the cruise is not engaged so you get a hesitation at each shift instead.

I'm wondering if what you are describing is the result of the ESP trying to keep you "in check." Does the symptoms you described above happen with the ESP turned off? I could see that being a safe guard of some sort. Best of luck with your car.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Interesting stuff. I have just experienced a problem relating to the hose from the oil cooler to the auto trans coming free, apparently the copper rings in the banjo connections in the hose had broken down!! Luckily I caught it quick, so no damage to the transmission. Before that problem I had an issue with the autobox, basically changes were rough and after a good thrash from standstill if you let off fast there was an almighty thud which came from the gearbox, like it had dropped a cog too many. On a couple of occasions I lost drive altogether and then one time the engine light came on for about a day. Anyway while I had this hose fixed I asked if they could plug it in to see why these strange glitches were happening, no error reports were logged and no problem could be found. I took a technician out for a drive to see if I could replicate the fault and the car drove totally different and the car was smooth as, no matter how much abuse. They could not answer why it was soo better, they said it was possibly due to the hose being fixed and more oil in the box, but it had been like 6 months ago before the loose hose. My car is a Nov '03 build, so from reading this stream I can only guess that the PCM was updated when they plugged it in to the computers and they were not aware of this, or if they were choose not to mention it.
Any thoughts?
I am from England (UK) so excuse my terminology. Any other Brits on this forum??

Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trmn8

TAKE YOUR CAR TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP. OH MY GOSH.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 AM

At first when I started reading what was said about the throttle issue I thought "this guy can't drive"

But I read it over again and I understand, did you ever notice that you can shift the car with the cruise control on!!!

So ya! the car is droping out the throttle when you press on the clutch!!!

The car thinks the cruise is on, I will experiment with mine and see if I notice the same thing. I have never been able to drive my crossfire as smothly as other cars. I think I might try disconecting the clutch switch to see what happens. Maybe you should too.

Quick Reply: Powertrain Control Module Flash TSB #18-030-04