CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   U.K. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/)
-   -   Hi all! Prospective Crossfire owner (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/59696-hi-all-prospective-crossfire-owner.html)

Uk Pete 01-16-2013 10:07 AM

Hi all! Prospective Crossfire owner

Great forum guys.

I've been looking around for a Crossfire Coupe for a couple of weeks now. There seem to be a fair few about but not too many in my neck of the woods which is Spalding, Lincs. The weather has brought my search to a halt for a few days (wimp) and I'll get stuck in again once the snow/cold snap has passed.

My budget is around 4.5k so looking around at up to 5k. My haggling skills are not great so how much could I realistically get knocked off of a 5k car at a dealers as a cash buyer? Hopefully I can find something decent for the money. Maybe a 2005 model would be do-able so as to avoid the higher road tax bracket. I'd prefer an auto over manual and am quite partial to the darker grey colour like this:-

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 2DR AUTO ( FINANCE AVAILABLE ) 2006

I like the cut of this cars gib even though it's in the higher road tax bracket, but would have to jump on the train to go and see it in Huddersfield. I like the black also and this one caught my eye on fleabay:-

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 Merc engine | eBay

Can't tell a lot from the pics though as for some reason on my puter they show up as about the size of a postage stamp! How does the black paint hold up on the Crossfire by the way, as I know on some cars it does tend to show every small blemish.

I''m looking forward to Crossfire ownership and being a part of the forum.

Cheers, Pete.

11 FEB 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

Re: Hi all! Prospective Crossfire owner

Hi Pete and welcome to Crossfires, get yourself over to UKCrossfires.co.uk and register (free);)

Black is the best colour:rolleyes: and the fastest:rolleyes: ask anyone who has one;):D

The black one on fleebay has been up for sale for quite a few months, was on the Trader for around 5K now no reserve on fleebay!!!!!! makes you wonder.

The grey one looks like worth a look:)

good luck with your search, let us know how you get on:)

Uk Pete 01-16-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 11 FEB (Post 719001)
The grey one looks like worth a look:)

Nice low mileage too!

If there's anyone in the Huddersfield area that would be prepared to check it out for me and give their opinion I'd reward them handsomely (well, expenses and a bit more:D).

If not, no problem, I'll jump on the train next week and check it out provided they still have the car.

11 FEB...thanks for the welcome :)

dave baker 01-17-2013 03:17 AM

Hi Pete

Seems to be a lot about so don’t rush in, unfortunately because of therarity of the beast travelling is inevitable.

They are a great car ours is my wife’s daily car so loves it, colour is avery subjective issue, personally I don’t think I’ve seen a colour I don’t likeon the Xfire, but in my opinion am not keen on the red interior on that blackone.

I live in Hereford so if there is one down this neck of the woods that youneed an eye casting over would more more than pleased to help. Hereford, Worcester,Gloucester, South Wales etc I appreciatethat long journey so maybe too far for you to travel, but the offer is there.

Uk Pete 01-17-2013 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by dave baker (Post 719164)
Hi Pete

Seems to be a lot about so don’t rush in, unfortunately because of therarity of the beast travelling is inevitable.

They are a great car ours is my wife’s daily car so loves it, colour is avery subjective issue, personally I don’t think I’ve seen a colour I don’t likeon the Xfire, but in my opinion am not keen on the red interior on that blackone.

I live in Hereford so if there is one down this neck of the woods that youneed an eye casting over would more more than pleased to help. Hereford, Worcester,Gloucester, South Wales etc I appreciatethat long journey so maybe too far for you to travel, but the offer is there.

Many thanks for your kind offer Dave.

I didn't want it to appear that I wanted others to do the work for me and of course will probably have to travel. As an example, to see the car at Huddersfield would be a whole day to get there and back plus the expense which is fine if the car is a 'good 'un' but photos can be deceiving and of course there could be other issues as well. Just trying to avoid long journeys if the car is not as advertised. I'm sure many of you have a good knowledge of the Crossfire also.

Agreed on the red interior, I'd have to keep my shades on all the time whilst driving...even at night! :) I just missed out on a beautiful, absolutely pristine, low mileage red example so the search continues.

Thanks again Dave.

11 FEB 01-17-2013 11:36 AM

Same here Pete, I'm in the South East would be more than happy to have a look before you travel if you see one down here;) you will probably find owners up and down the country will to have a look for you:D

Dal 01-17-2013 11:43 AM

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum :cool:

It might be an idea to ask the seller to send you some high definition photos if it's a fair journey to view.

If the car and seller are genuine, I'm sure they won't mind spending 30 minutes of their time to do this.

I would also add that the colours you have in mind were popular on the early Crossfires so you should get what your looking for.

As for how flexible dealers etc will be in price, it depends how long they have had it. There's a dealer close to me that has a 2007 Roadster that I made an offer on prior to buying my current car in July 2012 and he still had it up until recently ;)

As for what to look for on a used model its been discussed many times on this forum and must answers can be found by using the search facility at the top of the page.

If you have any specific questions there is a lot of experience within the UK group and more still within the wider community.

Have fun.

Uk Pete 01-17-2013 11:58 AM

Thanks Dal,

yep, loads of good stuff on here for the Crossfire newb!

This looks very nice:-

CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE COUPE | eBay

Starting bid is 5k though which is really my upper limit.

I've been in touch with a couple of dealers re specific cars but they've seemed a bit dour and not too happy in their work :). As Dave said, it's probably best not to rush in but i have to admit that not having a ride is starting to wear a bit thin now.

Thanks all for your help and advice so far.

Dal 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

There's no mention of the number of owners and that will fall into the higher tax band. I'd ask if there is any rust on the tailgate (where the number plate lights are) is it HPi clear.

The advert also states its service history? When was it last serviced and by whom?

I's also ask for a picture of the drivers right side seat bolster. (they get worn there)

Dal 01-17-2013 12:28 PM

I know its not Black or grey but

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 2dr Auto Coupe 2005

Uk Pete 01-17-2013 01:04 PM

Nice find Dal.

I'm sure I've seen that ad before but not at that price...reckon it may have been dropped a bit. Looks pretty clean.

Dal 01-17-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uk Pete (Post 719236)
Nice find Dal.

I'm sure I've seen that ad before but not at that price...reckon it may have been dropped a bit. Looks pretty clean.

it's quite literally within walking distance to me so I'd be happy to take a look if you want ;)

Uk Pete 01-17-2013 02:22 PM

Ok, so here's the score so far...

I found a beautiful red example for which I need to wait until Saturday pm to see if it's still available. I haven't seen a cleaner looking low mileage Crossfire and if it doesn't sell I'll be all over it like a rash. It's a couple of hundred over my budget but I'd find that somehow!

The black car on Ebay looks great and has only done 33.5k. Bidding starts at 5k though and there's still 6 days to go on the auction so my chances look a bit slim on that one.

I have a couple of others in reserve which are higher mileage and/or not my preferred colour but I'm really looking to make use of my available funds for a lower mileage example if possible.

Dal, that's really kind of you to offer to check that one out. I wouldn't ask you to go out of your way in this bloody Baltic weather, but if you're passing it by I'd be interested in knowing if it's worth a look if none of my top choices come to fruition.

Cheers,

Pete.

The bodyman 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

Good luck for Sunday UK pete. If it doesn't happen. save up a bit more and you can have mine.

Jon

UK ken 01-18-2013 05:33 AM

:p Crossfire's great looking, have excellent spec and currently are well priced, for the buyer.

:( BUT useless to drive in the current UK snow conditions, and not so good in the wet either. But I still love them.

UKKen :cool: down south!

11 FEB 01-18-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by The bodyman (Post 719273)
Good luck for Sunday UK pete. If it doesn't happen. save up a bit more and you can have mine.

Jon

Now you know you will not sell yours Jon !!!! :D:D:D;)

The bodyman 01-19-2013 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by 11 FEB (Post 719378)
Now you know you will not sell yours Jon !!!! :D:D:D;)

Yes, well, I know. One day may be !!!:confused::confused::confused:

UK ken 01-19-2013 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=The bodyman;719494]Yes, well, I know. One day may be !!!:confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE

At the right price I'm sure it would go ;) ..Jon. why not try it at your asking price on ebay now? There is bound to be loads of interested in a perfect white coupe..and come the summer months more interest in Roadsters...so now's the time.:)

UKKen :cool: down south!

Abaton6 01-19-2013 09:44 AM

You sure you want one of these after the "Top Gear" guys slammed the XF? I love my 05 black Roadster, but those guys hated the car. lol.

Good luck in your search,and welcome.

Uk Pete 01-19-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Abaton6 (Post 719512)
You sure you want one of these after the "Top Gear" guys slammed the XF? I love my 05 black Roadster, but those guys hated the car. lol.

Good luck in your search,and welcome.

Thanks for the welcome.

Clarkson and co. are quite funny but that's as far as it goes IMO! :D

I think for my requirements the Crossfire will be perfect. I've finished tearing up the roads on Motorbikes (too old, reactions slowing up!:)) and want something a little different with some 'squirt' and an auto gearbox. Looks like a good one can be picked up for next to peanuts at the moment. I can't really think of what else would give me as much for 5k.

I missed this car by a couple of hours so the search continues:-

Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 2DR AUTO (FSH BEST IN UK) 2005