CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   U.K. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/)
-   -   Removing Front Wheel Bearing Caps (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/60045-removing-front-wheel-bearing-caps.html)

pct 02-08-2013 06:37 PM

Removing Front Wheel Bearing Caps

1 Attachment(s)
A tip I thought i'd share, apologies if i'm telling you something you already know but i was so relieved to crack this one.

I found some play on the drivers side wheel bearing and decided to adjust it, but I was really struggling to remove the wheel bearing cap, after spending about 20 minutes trying to pry into a non existant gap with various sized screwdriver tips and hitting the cap from all angles I finally gave up as it just wasnt moving at all and the cap was starting to show signs of battle damage.

I searched on google for tips and saw loads of different posts from people on lots of different owners forums for all types of cars describing the very same struggle and discussing ideas about various pullers and other methods so I realised I wasnt alone with my frustrations.

Anyway I went back to the task the next day and after another 15 minutes of getting nowhere I sat staring into my toolbox trying to figure out what I could possibly do, so I tried what you see below, using a hammer as a fulcrum I inserted a large flatblade screwdriver into the groove between the two ridges and literally just squeezed the hammer handle and screwdriver together with one hand, amazingly after all my previous hammering, prying, sweating and swearing the cap immediately popped out a few mm, I turned the wheel 180 degrees and repeated the squeeze and the cap fell on to the floor, Job sorted!!

Once again apologies if this is something already known but i was just so relieved to have found a way around this after much head scratching!!

Attachment 42183

11 FEB 02-09-2013 04:00 AM

Re: Removing Front Wheel Bearing Caps

good tip pct ;) I did mine a couple of weeks ago but had no problem getting the caps off:cool:

I assume you know the correct procedure for taking up the bearings;)

waldig 02-09-2013 08:15 AM

The cap can be a *****, installing new ones is way more fun though, need a tool to help hold em while you pound. Woody

Weekend

oledoc2u 02-09-2013 08:30 AM

I still have an old puller tool. Looks like a big set of pliers. Clamps down. Wiggle wiggle off.

pct 02-09-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 11 FEB (Post 723297)
I assume you know the correct procedure for taking up the bearings;)

It would be handy if you could post up the procedure for us newbies if you wouldnt mind?

I followed info on the mercedes owners site, I frequent that forum too as I use an E class for business and the crossfire is MB running gear, but that thread contained a few differing opinions so I went partly with that and partly with my own experience of taper bearings and left a little play.

It had gone through its UK MOT in December and the local test here on the IOM last week when I re-registered it both with no problems but I still felt there was a bit too much play, probably 1mm which i've taken down to about 0.5mm.

11 FEB 02-09-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by pct (Post 723343)
It would be handy if you could post up the procedure for us newbies if you wouldnt mind?

If you do a search you will find it already posted as with almost anything else you will ever need to know about your Crossfire;)

pct 02-09-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 11 FEB (Post 723348)
If you do a search you will find it already posted as with almost anything else you will every need to know about your Crossfire;)

Found it thanks ;)

Cedar11 08-17-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 723313)
The cap can be a *****, installing new ones is way more fun though, need a tool to help hold em while you pound. Woody

Does anyone know which tool this is? Is it specific for our cars?

Thanks

pct 08-17-2014 11:06 AM

Installing is fairly simple, just offer them up nice and square to the flange and gently tap them squarely home, its getting them out which can be the difficult bit.

Cedar11 08-17-2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pct (Post 808536)
Installing is fairly simple, just offer them up nice and square to the flange and gently tap them squarely home, its getting them out which can be the difficult bit.

Are you talking about re-installing the original caps or new ones?

I have purchased new caps and the flange does not curve outward, so I am unsure how to install them at this point.

Thanks for the response

pct 08-17-2014 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar11 (Post 808545)
Are you talking about re-installing the original caps or new ones?

I have purchased new caps and the flange does not curve outward, so I am unsure how to install them at this point.

Thanks for the response

Either new or original, if they are the correct ones for the car they should go in, they need carefully lining up and maybe a touch of grease around the leading edge, they should then go in so long as they are correctly lined up.

Popping them in the freezer for a couple of hours first might help as they will shrink a couple of thou.

kloller 12-27-2017 12:55 PM

I am looking for new caps. Anyone have a source or Mercedes cross part number? This part number yieds no stock so far. 05101732AA

onehundred80 12-28-2017 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kloller (Post 899260)
I am looking for new caps. Anyone have a source or Mercedes cross part number? This part number yieds no stock so far. 05101732AA

Mercedes part #210 357 02 89

eelya1 01-18-2023 06:41 PM

My rear wheels have no caps.
are there supposed to be caps?

UrbanE 01-19-2023 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by kloller (Post 899260)

pick and pull yard. Gotta be lots of them out there

I’ll bet $5 for a pair

eelya1 01-20-2023 09:23 AM

are there dust caps on the rear wheels, too??

dcskmail 01-20-2023 10:27 AM

Thanks for sharing, if you looking for the wheel bearing dust caps/ cover $4 https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2103570289

zip439 01-20-2023 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by eelya1 (Post 975651)
are there dust caps on the rear wheels, too??

no

eelya1 01-20-2023 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by zip439 (Post 975660)
no

Thanks...
the lack of them had me worried