CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   U.K. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/)
-   -   3 Years On (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/u-k/73559-3-years.html)

pct 01-29-2016 07:03 PM

3 Years On

In a few days time it will be 3 years since I bought my Crossfire, and I must say its proven to be the best choice I could have made.

At the time I bought my roadster I had just sold a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, there was nothing wrong with it, and it had been a joy to own, it wasn't my main car, purely a weekend toy, but at 22 years old (the car not me - I wish!!) I was starting to worry about potential problems ahead given the complexity of the beast, so the Crossfire was to replace it, and become my new weekend toy.

After a few months of ownership I found I was starting to use it more and more as my everyday car, and it soon got to the point where my main car spent most of its time parked up.

3 years on, and I have to say, it's been uber reliable, and cost next to nothing to run, at 70,000 miles I've just replaced a noisy water pump, and that is the first component I've changed other than filters and a couple of light bulbs.

So anyone out there who is considering a good reliable sports car could do allot worse than look at a Crossfire, real value for money, reliable, and a looker too.

madleemark 01-12-2017 05:08 PM

Re: 3 Years On

that sounds good, and you still like the car?

cg80 01-12-2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pct (Post 857942)
In a few days time it will be 3 years since I bought my Crossfire, and I must say its proven to be the best choice I could have made.

At the time I bought my roadster I had just sold a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, there was nothing wrong with it, and it had been a joy to own, it wasn't my main car, purely a weekend toy, but at 22 years old (the car not me - I wish!!) I was starting to worry about potential problems ahead given the complexity of the beast, so the Crossfire was to replace it, and become my new weekend toy.

After a few months of ownership I found I was starting to use it more and more as my everyday car, and it soon got to the point where my main car spent most of its time parked up.

3 years on, and I have to say, it's been uber reliable, and cost next to nothing to run, at 70,000 miles I've just replaced a noisy water pump, and that is the first component I've changed other than filters and a couple of light bulbs.

So anyone out there who is considering a good reliable sports car could do allot worse than look at a Crossfire, real value for money, reliable, and a looker too.

pct.had my 2004 coupe for 12 years...and yes very little upkeep...157,000 miles and still drive it daily...Carl:cool::cool:

pct 01-12-2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by madleemark (Post 880216)
that sounds good, and you still like the car?

I still love it, this summer I'm going to re-furb the wheels and do a couple of other little jobs, but she's still a joy to own, and the beauty of a small cabin at this time of year is how quick it gets toasty on the drive to work, coupled with the 'rest' heating when I'm parked up at lunch time, it's a lovely cosy place to be.

Valk 01-12-2017 11:58 PM

I have also had my 04 Coupe almost 10 years and driven 80,000 miles and have never been broke down anywhere
Yes I have found it to be a very reliable and fun car to drive ;)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...ef4feedae2.jpg

dedwards0323 01-13-2017 06:34 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...bbcc4803b3.jpg

Had mine for 7+ years now. Only real issue was the "Mystery No Start" RCM failure and it happened in my driveway. Like Valk, at no time has the Crossfire stranded me on the road.

pct 04-16-2017 09:30 AM

Well, after just over four years of enjoyable ownership I sold my car yesterday, it was a really tough decision and I know I will miss it, but I simply do not have space for 3 cars and I am taking delivery of my dream, an Aston Martin V8 Vantage in a few days time.

If I had the space I would definitely have kept the Crossfire, given its relative monetary value and the fact it is a mint condition car, but I need to keep my 4 seater 'sensible' car for everyday use so something had to go.

I have sold it to a local guy who I know will look after it, and I must have bored him to death yesterday going through all its paperwork and every inch of the car before I let him finally drive it away, but it almost felt like I was giving a family member away.

I'll still be looking in on the forum from time to time, and wish you all happy motoring with your Crossfires, and just remember, you own a unique car which was only made for a few short years, and which I think will be an appreciating future classic.

ala_xfire 04-16-2017 09:38 AM

Sorry to see you go, but a V8 Vanquish is not to be overlooked !
I can still remember when you first joined the forum and were in search of that Crossfire.

pct 04-16-2017 05:41 PM

It seems like only yesterday that I joined the forum ala_xfire!!, not quite a Vanquish but a Vantage.

I honestly think the Crossfires have bottomed out now and if looked after will hold or increase in value over the next few years, and in my 30+ years of motoring mine has gone down as the best car I've owned so far, in terms of value, fun, lack of depreciation, and reliability.

vanquishman 04-16-2017 06:13 PM

Had my Crossfire about 3 weeks now. Loving it. Funny enough it does feel like a mini Vantage.

Very quiet on here though and not much going on with the UK forum which is disappointing.

pct 04-16-2017 06:49 PM

It's always been a bit quiet on here Vanquishman, I think it's partly because the Crossfires are so reliable that you hardly ever get any technical postings, but also because it's all about Facebook nowadays, most forums on any subject seem to be increasingly deserted which is a shame.

I personally do not do facebook, and found it highly amusing when it went down for 16hrs a few years ago, some people simply couldn't function without it!! just because they couldn't tell everyone where they had been and what they had for dinner that day :D

vanquishman 04-17-2017 03:08 PM

Ah, cheers PCT. I am not into social media either apart from this forum and whatsapp with some friends.

Its a double edged sword as i understand people have to mod the forum and this takes time where as Facebook probably is easier to control but i am sure some owners will miss whats going on. Where owners can gather from around the world and chat about their cars on the internet is really cool but on the other hand its killed the actual car meets a bit that i remember back in the 90's. You know, monthly gatherings at the local pub/cafe and i really did like those back in my 2.8i Capri daze (not mis-spelt!)...

I know i am in a minority not being on it and will probably have to sign up but i am very enthusiastic about my new toy and want to get involved with the UK XF club meets/shows as i love these cars. I am going the stump up and join the UK club at the end of the month (for now i need all the gas money i can get as any excuse to drive).

pct 04-17-2017 03:47 PM

Luckily they do still post the meet-up's on here, but unfortunately I never actually made it to one, mainly due to living on the Isle of Man, but I did try to arrange a group visit over to here a couple of years ago, which would have been great for some TT pit lane photos and a few laps of the TT course.

I always particularly fancied going to one of the Ace Cafe meetings as I have never visited the famous venue.

There is also a large database of hints and tips on here, from UK members and our American friends, should you ever need help with anything, and a few years back one of the members produced some excellent wheel centre badges for forum members which I bought and which still looked like new when I sold the car.

So it's worth checking-in every now and then, to see what is going on.