U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

radio ignoring all controls

Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio ignoring all controls

Hi. First forum posting, so wish me luck. A couple of days ago the radio display showed a random selection of angled lines, but powered on and worked ok. Next time we used the car the radio came on with the ignition, but did not respond to any of the buttons, volume, anything. So it is now fixed on one station at a set volume that we can not change and we can not switch it off. Okay until it loses the radio signal, at which point we are forced to listen to the crackling noise. Help please. It's a 2006 Crossfire with the standard radio (as far as I'm aware).

Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: radio ignoring all controls

There are two fuses for the radio - pull them both. (Sorry, but the exact fuse varies by year, I found this out the hard way this summer). Both fuses are in the undershood fuse box, driver's side. Leave them out 15 seconds or more.

Alternatively, disconnect the battery ground cable for 1/2 minute.

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry. But many on this forum have upgraded to way better head units (myself for one!) and have the OEM radio sitting on a shelf in the basement. If you look, you CAN find one.

But do not overlook the idea of just upgrading to something newer. The Kenwood/JVC (and I think Clarion) marine radios are the same color as our dash and they sound WONDERFUL compared to the factory unit.

I put a JVC 660 in my car (it is discontinued), $80 at Best Buy and WOW did is enhance the sound in my car.
I had it wired up and installed in 1/2 hour.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (05-10-2023)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Smile Re: radio ignoring all controls

Hi. Thanks for the speedy response. I forgot to say that I did try the time-honoured 'press the power button for 10 seconds' computer re-boot trigger with the on/off button, but to no avail. I will do what you say. I have read in the threads that there is no security code, which is good as ours came with no paperwork.
I had considered an upgrade to DAB with Bluetooth, but was put off by the need for a decent DAB aerial (wired) as DAB is very patchy where we live. I'll have a look at the makes you mention.
Thanks again. :-)

Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 AM

Yup, 100% success. Thanks. Must be the cheapest/quickest fix ever? :-)

Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by grahammrobert
Hi. First forum posting, so wish me luck. A couple of days ago the radio display showed a random selection of angled lines, but powered on and worked ok. Next time we used the car the radio came on with the ignition, but did not respond to any of the buttons, volume, anything. So it is now fixed on one station at a set volume that we can not change and we can not switch it off. Okay until it loses the radio signal, at which point we are forced to listen to the crackling noise. Help please. It's a 2006 Crossfire with the standard radio (as far as I'm aware).
Response by Pizzaguy.
There are two fuses for the radio - pull them both. (Sorry, but the exact fuse varies by year, I found this out the hard way this summer). Both fuses are in the undershood fuse box, driver's side. Leave them out 15 seconds or more.

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry.

(This will go in the Index of Crossfire problems.)

Old 09-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

When you power back up, it should restore it's brains. If not, it is done for - sorry. But many on this forum have upgraded to way better head units (myself for one!) and have the OEM radio sitting on a shelf in the basement. If you look, you CAN find one.

But do not overlook the idea of just upgrading to something newer. The Kenwood/JVC (and I think Clarion) marine radios are the same color as our dash and they sound WONDERFUL compared to the factory unit.

I put a JVC 660 in my car (it is discontinued), $80 at Best Buy and WOW did is enhance the sound in my car.
I had it wired up and installed in 1/2 hour.
This is a great DIY Tech Help procedure!

Old 09-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by grahammrobert
Yup, 100% success. Thanks. Must be the cheapest/quickest fix ever? :-)
I"m pretty cheap and quick. It''s not always described as a positive thing............

Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 AM

Worked for me. My FM 'disappeared' but now all is well

Old 05-24-2017, 06:19 AM
Talking Re: radio ignoring all controls

Worked for me. FM 'disappeared' but now all is well

Old 08-31-2017, 04:18 PM

you guys are good, fixed my problem with radio thanks.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 PM

I had that to happen after my car went in the shop... I pulled both radio fuses in the fuse box under the hood/bonnet, on the left side. Put them back and the radio rebooted and was fine again. /this was 6 months ago.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

We are very lucky, a Merc SLK of the same years with premium radio requires about $700 in "stuff" to add Bluetooth. Ours just need a $100 head unit and some $10 adapters from Amazon.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 AM
jad
Angry Re: radio ignoring all controls

I just had my radio display go blank and all function ***** and buttons do not work, pulled radio and disconnected from wiring harness, plugged back in and it all worked again. The next time i started the car screen was blank again, repeated process again to no avail. Any thoughts on what may be the problem? Or does it mean the radio needs a repair. any info on repair shops?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jad
I just had my radio display go blank and all function ***** and buttons do not work, pulled radio and disconnected from wiring harness, plugged back in and it all worked again. The next time i started the car screen was blank again, repeated process again to no avail. Any thoughts on what may be the problem? Or does it mean the radio needs a repair. any info on repair shops?
Really? You want to have it repaired? Really?

I work for a radio shop, (RadioPhone of Northwestern Arkansas). Our hourly rate is $95.00, one hour minimum. It sounds like yours has a watchdog timer issue or problem with the central processor. I'd estimate repair costs of $125 to $300 plus shipping both ways. Given the struggle to find parts for an obsolete, outdated device, we should be able to get it fixed and back to you within two to four months.

Your OEM radio is two channel, with lousy audio controls and an outdated AM/FM receiver. You can buy a truly superior AM/FM head at Best Buy for $85 to $200 that supports most or all "HD" functions as well as Bluetooth phone interface, MP4, and provides amazing audio controls .

If you want to stick with the lousy, crappy, worthless OEM head, you can buy them from other owners (who saw the light) for $30 to $50.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-11-2020 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BLKFYRE (06-25-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:25 PM

I have an '04 OEM radio I just took out of my Crossfire. I don't have any use for it and it's of little value to me, so you're welcome to it for shipping and like, $30. Let me know if you'd like it! I can ship it on Friday.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by socal_crossfire
I have an '04 OEM radio I just took out of my Crossfire. I don't have any use for it and it's of little value to me, so you're welcome to it for shipping and like, $30. Let me know if you'd like it! I can ship it on Friday.
Thanks, Kate!

Old 02-15-2020, 01:41 PM
jad

Thanks for the advice Pizzaguy, I think I will go your route and just replace the radio unit itself, my only consideration for having it repaired was to keep the vehicle all original, I suppose its not that big of a deal though

Old 02-15-2020, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jad
Thanks for the advice Pizzaguy, I think I will go your route and just replace the radio unit itself, my only consideration for having it repaired was to keep the vehicle all original, I suppose its not that big of a deal though
No, it's time to give up that dream. I fought it for five years - once I had no choice, I'd wished I'd done this years ago.
The factory 'radio' is a disgrace. WHy they went to all the expense that they did, only to give us two channel sound is beyond me.

But fact is, automotive audio has come a LONG way since 2003.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:48 AM
jad

would you have a recommended replacement that would have a good fit and finish to go with dash?

Old 02-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Search for marine units. Any single-DIN radio will fit fine.

But to get the look you want, for some odd reason, marine units have the satin finish of our interiors. Be prepared, marine heads are built to be water resistant and are way more expensive.
I went with a JVC RD660 - but my dash is not factory. I intended to upgrade to a marine head, but I got over it. My head was $85, I wired it for four channel sound, (You oem head is two channel crap.)

The RD660 was discontinued in 2015, that's how I got one for $85.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: radio ignoring all controls