Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

waxing your wheels!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing your wheels!

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I just need affirmation, but my girlfriend just called me nuts for waxing my wheels? That got me thinking...does anyone else wax their wheels? (Excluding Andrew...he probably takes them off, steam cleans them, re-clearcoat's them, waxes them, and the uses detail polish on top of all that)!!!

BTW...if Andrew reads this he'll probably correct me and add 3 more steps at least! Not a shot at Andrew at all...I'm completely impressed with his ability to keep a car looking showroom new! (truth be told...I'd love a weekend class from him)!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: waxing your wheels!

Originally Posted by apkano
Not a shot at Andrew at all...I'm completely impressed with his ability to keep a car looking showroom new! (truth be told...I'd love a weekend class from him)!
I'm starting to think cars in the showroom look a little grubby next to Andrew's.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Nano Polish: http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1120
Cleans and polishes mag, chrome and aluminum.

When detailing your car, the smallest details can make the most difference. Set the stage for good times by making sure every metal surface on your car is polished to a brilliant shine with our new Nano-Polish! This unique polish is formulated with a blend of fine polishing agents and nano particles so that it won’t damage or scratch the surface of your metal or chrome for quick and easy polishing and cleaning. Our formula shines and protects chrome, aluminum, and mag wheels and is recommended for use on bumpers, fiberglass, steel, billet wheels and accessories.

* Shines while filling in tiny scratches and imperfections
* Provides anticorrosion protection from rust and salt
* Non-abrasive formula won’t scratch
* Safe for use on all metal surfaces, including chrome and clear-coat

1. Start with a clean, dry wheel.
2. Apply with a terry cloth or sponge applicator.
3. Rub gently with a towel until clean. You may notice black residue on your cloth, this is normal.
4. Do not allow to dry out. Buff to a brilliant shine with a clean microfiber towel or cloth.

Q. When using Nano-Polish, I get a black residue on the cloth. Is this normal?

A. Yes this is normal. In fact, black residue is a sign that the product is doing its job.

Q. Will this product damage my chrome?

A. No. Nano-Polish is formulated with a blend of fine polishing agents and nanoparticles so that it won’t damage or scratch the surface of your metal or chrome.

Q. Which types of metals can I use Nano-Polish on?

A. Nano-Polish is safe for almost all metals. You can use it on chrome, aluminum, stainless steel, brass, copper, gold and silver.

Q. Can I use Nano-Polish on billet?

A. Yes, Nano-Polish is safe to use on most metal surfaces.

Q. How do I apply the product and what do I use to wipe it off?

A. Nano-Polish can be applied with a sponge applicator or soft towel and removed with a clean, soft towel or microfiber cloth.

Q. When polishing aluminum, should I apply to the whole wheel or do sections at a time?

A. Nano-Polish can be applied either way, depending on your preference.

Q. How much product should I use to clean my metal?

A. Nano-Polish should be applied so that there is enough to cover a cleaned surface with a thin film of product.

Q. Can I put a wax over the newly-polished surface?

A. Yes. Waxing your wheels provides added protection and keeps them cleaner longer. It also helps remove any dust and dirt more easily the next time you clean your wheels.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove, clean and wax the wheels twice a year. Then regular cleanups when performing the weekly bath.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

I do the same, front and backs and it keeps them pretty clean all year long. I also have a wheel brush that gets the backs of the wheels when I do my weekly car wash.

Pat

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 AM
RPM

I wax my wheels too (inside and out). Used Meguiar's NXT on them last. Worked pretty well.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I just need affirmation, but my girlfriend just called me nuts for waxing my wheels? That got me thinking...does anyone else wax their wheels? (Excluding Andrew...he probably takes them off, steam cleans them, re-clearcoat's them, waxes them, and the uses detail polish on top of all that)!!!

BTW...if Andrew reads this he'll probably correct me and add 3 more steps at least! Not a shot at Andrew at all...I'm completely impressed with his ability to keep a car looking showroom new! (truth be told...I'd love a weekend class from him)!
lol...

i always wax the inside of my rims when waxing the car... i also will clean the insides every time i wash my car (final detailer). lucky for me my hands are just small enough to fit in the holes... but i do have to turn the front rim to clear the caliper.

also before you wax... be sure to remove any tar (3M prep solvent)... they seem to collect quite a bit on the inside rim.

IMG_4324.jpg

cheers!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have taken to waxing my wheels as well and being called nuts by my wife as well. Its more like a shaking of the head, no comments needed, but you know what I mean. With my new wheels I can't get inside the rims without taking them off the car. Hey, that's fine, more time with the car.

Wax on buddy...it does make a difference!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM

WASH/WAX WHEELS HERE. THAT'S LIKE TAKE'N A SHOWER AN NOT WASH'N YOUR FEET.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
I don't use the polish (not sure how safe it is for painted wheels and is polish, not wax) - I has some Eagle Nanowax liquid laying around. http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1103&cat=5010

Seems to offer pretty good protection against the brake dust - it now takes 2-3 weeks for my wheels to get dirty rather than 2-3 hours... no joke!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PowerOn
I don't use the polish (not sure how safe it is for painted wheels and is polish, not wax) - I has some Eagle Nanowax liquid laying around. http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1103&cat=5010

Seems to offer pretty good protection against the brake dust - it now takes 2-3 weeks for my wheels to get dirty rather than 2-3 hours... no joke!
I haven't had a problem. From the web site:
  • Shines while filling in tiny scratches and imperfections
  • Provides anticorrosion protection from rust and salt
  • Non-abrasive formula won’t scratch
  • Safe for use on all metal surfaces, including chrome and clear-coat

Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Forum Regular

Does anyone have chrome rims that they wax? If you do, what type of wax do you use and how do you go about doing it?