CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   After market rims/tires feel ride bumpy, common? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/20269-after-market-rims-tires-feel-ride-bumpy-common.html)

Afroman12345 12-12-2007 05:05 PM

After market rims/tires feel ride bumpy, common?

I just got some new after market rims and tires. Technically, just new rears until i get the fronts on Friday. I've had them two days and unless I'm crazy, it feels like the car bounces very slightly, enough to make me a little nausious though. Is this somewhat common due to different damping properties of a new set-up? or does it sound like they're just not balanced well enough? or probably got a bad wheel or tire?
Technical info:
The rears are now 8.5x20 with 225/35R20 tires. (stock is 9x19 with 255/35R19 tires) The overall diameter went from 26.02 up to just 26.20, but the sidewall went from 3.51 down to 3.10. The new tires are cheaper "Wanli S-1088". Thanks.

MMZ_TimeLord 12-12-2007 05:17 PM

Re: After market rims/tires feel ride bumpy, common?

The reason you are feeling more 'bounce' is because you have reduced your sidewall height. You now have less cushion between your rims and the road. Also, you have a narrower tire which will be quite stiff with the sidewalls closer together. (i.e.- The tire has less room to flex because the sidewalls are closer to each other.)

Then there is the fact that you are running a 8.5" wide rim with narrower tires. This will cause your sidewalls to be nearly vertical and pull straight to the rim. Wider tires (like the stock ones) tend to balloon out slightly, which allows them to flex easier. (i.e. - your stock rims and tires were 9" and 10" wide respectively. Your new rims and tires are 8.5" and 8.9" respectively. You have lost a half an inch of width difference.)

Not sure of that is all correct, but it's my best guess.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

CoupeGirl 12-12-2007 05:19 PM

yep what timelord said :)

Afroman12345 12-12-2007 06:31 PM

Yeah, i kinda knew all that. It just seems like it's more of a constant bumpiness regarldess of which road i go on, possibly indicating mishaped wheels or tires. Not saying you're wrong, i was just hoping my new wheels wouldn't make me nausious. I did just decrease the air pressure from 40 psi (they put in) to 34 and it seemed to help a little. I'm going back to see if i can get some 245/35R20's instead. If i'd know a week ago what i know now about this stuff, i wouldn't have trusted an "expert" for anything.

LantanaTX 12-12-2007 07:00 PM

That kind of bling and a good ride don't really go together. You should feel the ride I have with 18x9 with 265/40/18 Michellin PS2's!

Display_Name 12-12-2007 07:43 PM

In addition to the lousy ride quality of ultra-super-low-profile tires, you've likely added significantly to the unsprung weight at each corner.

LantanaTX 12-12-2007 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Display_Name
In addition to the lousy ride quality of ultra-super-low-profile tires, you've likely added significantly to the unsprung weight at each corner.

This can make your wheels feel like they are a dribleing basket ball

blackoutken 12-13-2007 04:22 AM

I've pricing some sets of 20's I think pretty much all of them are 20x8.5 for packages would that give me a super rough ride or should I hold out and try break a set at get 20X10 and a 20 x ? for the front . or should it not make a big difference
http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ac/f6/3741_1.JPG

I was lookin at this wheel

Steve Hellums 12-13-2007 06:04 AM

When you go with a new wheel that has a deeper dish than the OEM's you are not going to get the balance like the OEM's, unless you put wheel weights on the outside lip. With the OEM rims there is not much of a lip and the spokes are so close to the outside of the wheel when they put the weights on they are close enough to the outside you'll get a better balance job. But you could have a wheel problem, I have a friend that went with some after market wheels and had some shaking going on. So he took his car to another shop to get them rebalanced and still had the problem, so he took it to yet a different shop and they came out to get him to show him how his wheel hopped on the balancer. It was a bad wheel, the center was not centered, the name brand was Ruff Racing Wheels.

eganders 12-13-2007 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
That kind of bling and a good ride don't really go together. You should feel the ride I have with 18x9 with 265/40/18 Michellin PS2's!

LantanaTX - Please tell us about the ride. I would very much like to know.

LantanaTX 12-14-2007 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by eganders
LantanaTX - Please tell us about the ride. I would very much like to know.

One complaint that has been written about in reviews of the Crossfire and that I noticed as well, was that the car would get an usettled feeling going over bumpy areas. Feels a little like the wheels dirbble like a basketball momentarily. Getting rid of the 19's in the rear and going with a little more sidewall of the 265/40's made the car feel just as sporty but more compliant over the rought areas. My car is also lowered and I had to shorten the rubber snubber at the top of the shock. The 265's are also wider than stock and only slightly taller than stock, so I still have the raked stock look. I also no pay much less for tires.