Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Just an update, my 2X steering stabalizer parts arrived the other day, at $20 each from JT Outfitters I figured I might as well have a spare, and I installed one of them yesterday.

Easiest thing in the world, jacked the front up, two bolts, no access issues.

Very noticable improvement in steering stability, and when you have the part in your hand you can easily feel the difference between the old and new piston stiffness.

I am not going back to the Chrysler dealer after this experience, clearly they will rip me off without compunction, I still can't believe they were going to charge me $750 for a $20 part and 5 minutes labour!

By the way, if there are any mechanically minded Crossfire enthusiasts in Tucson who'd be interested in the odd bit of paid work on my car from time to time, feel free to introduce yourself...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
before you buy 2 ill save you a couple $$

Steering Dampner Mercedes Benz SLK Chrysler Crossfire - JoeTLC
Except they would charge me $15.50 to send this $20. part. Only a few bucks more but not really the better deal.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by psuperti
There is also the Sachs-Boge damper on e-bay. OE part number 1244630432 Any opinions on this?

Mercedes SLK320 & Crossfire Steering Stabilizer/Damper: eBay Motors (item 350375724637 end time Nov-20-10 04:37:47 PST)

I have a feeling that the Sachs-boge damper is going to be higher quality. Can somebody give this one a try? Maybe it will even last longer and not leak like the others.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by psuperti
I have a feeling that the Sachs-boge damper is going to be higher quality. Can somebody give this one a try? Maybe it will even last longer and not leak like the others.
I'm going with this one, and I think Doc is too, if I read his last post right.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I'm going with this one, and I think Doc is too, if I read his last post right.
Let us know. I have a sneaky suspicion it is the identicle part, but who knows....

Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Greetings from the UK!
I have noticed the 'tramlining' and my steering has been a bit loose and wooly. After reading several reviews of the car I was starting to believe it was just a feature of cars with wide tyres. However, after reading this thread I have just ordered a new steering damper and I cannot WAIT to put it on (or rather to get my partner to put it on hehe) as my roadster seems to be suffereing the effects of wear on this part and I was feeling a little downhearted about it. THANK YOU CROSSFIRE FORUM!!! It was a little more difficult to track the part down in UK as Amazon US and the JT place wont ship to the UK but have tracked down a Mercedes part for £23 which is around $35-40 I think. Get in!

Last edited by Rowanbud; 11-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, I am replacing a replacement....lol

Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
yep, I am replacing a replacement....lol
Thats what happens when things get old and worn, Laura will be looking for a replacement soon enough LOL

Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Got and installed mine today - nice fast shipping from JT. Seemed to make a pretty big difference on my 54,000 mile 04 that's had the damper replaced at least once before (shortly after its first purchase, by a dealer, according to Carfax).
Installation was trivial, and I could have probably done it without jacking the car if I'd wanted. There's no need to remove the splash guard (as I read was necessary in some other threads). A great upgrade for under $30...

Old 11-06-2010, 04:34 AM

yep, for 30 bucks....even if she lasts a year...not bad...not sure who manufactured this one...

Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rowanbud
Greetings from the UK!
I have noticed the 'tramlining' and my steering has been a bit loose and wooly. After reading several reviews of the car I was starting to believe it was just a feature of cars with wide tyres. However, after reading this thread I have just ordered a new steering damper and I cannot WAIT to put it on (or rather to get my partner to put it on hehe) as my roadster seems to be suffereing the effects of wear on this part and I was feeling a little downhearted about it. THANK YOU CROSSFIRE FORUM!!! It was a little more difficult to track the part down in UK as Amazon US and the JT place wont ship to the UK but have tracked down a Mercedes part for £23 which is around $35-40 I think. Get in!
Hi Fiona, The cars are known for some tram lining at lower speeds and this due to the steering design/set up and the big wheels.This set up provides good stability at high speed and its common in many sports cars. I got used to it quickly, but after reading these threads I decided to change my steering damper at 30K miles, and bought the part from my local MB dealership and popped it on to see if it made any difference. When I removed the old one I found that it was in perfect condition, but have spent the money I fitted the new one anyway, and it made no difference at all. Let us know if you do feel any difference

Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Thats what happens when things get old and worn, Laura will be looking for a replacement soon enough LOL
Now, Johnny, you know how sensitive I am.....

Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Hi Fiona, The cars are known for some tram lining at lower speeds and this due to the steering design/set up and the big wheels.This set up provides good stability at high speed and its common in many sports cars. I got used to it quickly, but after reading these threads I decided to change my steering damper at 30K miles, and bought the part from my local MB dealership and popped it on to see if it made any difference. When I removed the old one I found that it was in perfect condition, but have spent the money I fitted the new one anyway, and it made no difference at all. Let us know if you do feel any difference
I replaced mine and also noticed no difference - it still follows cigarette ends or anything else in the road As for being common in a lot of sports cars maybe 30 years ago, but most have rack and peanut these days. The steering and manual gearchange are easily the worst part of these cars -pity.

The following users liked this post:
GrooveVampire (05-02-2023)
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat
I replaced mine and also noticed no difference - it still follows cigarette ends or anything else in the road As for being common in a lot of sports cars maybe 30 years ago, but most have rack and peanut these days. The steering and manual gearchange are easily the worst part of these cars -pity.
Agreed - of course rear/mid engine/front wheel drive can all have rack and pinion, but we still have a big lump of an engine and gearbox up front which means no room for a steering rack!
Its one of those things we can't change! Im glad I went for the Auto, allthough a bit boring sometimes, at least it is nice to drive

Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 PM

the stabilizer has helped a great deal with wondering it does on some roads...but, I have noticed the whole assembly under there has a lot of "play" in it....I am looking for nylon bushings to rebuild the front steering with....no luck so far...but, I think tightening up some of that movement would have to help.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Yes, there so many joints that just a tiny bit of play (and within limits) in each adds up!!
I don't think there is much we can do, but replace them when worn and also check steering column universal joins down at the bottom end. There is also a crude joint (square section peg male/female) joint connecting upper and lower sections of the column which has a collar clamp on it with a pinch bolt that has been known to come loose - this is definitely a cause of play in the column. Car needs to be lifted to check this; I want to check this pinch bolt when I get a chance!

I often wonder if this joint it the source of the "clunk" we often feel and hear through the steering when turning at low speed?

Last edited by Steve - UK; 11-06-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Hi Seve, I got mine from MB dealership also. £34. I'm having it fitted on wednesday so fingers crossed. I thought for such a small amount, it was worth doing. I've got used to the tram lining thing now although it was a little disconcerting at first I must say lol! As for good stability at high speed, well, I couldn't possibly comment as I never go over the speedlimit !

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 AM

NEVER go over the SPEED limit....OK.....

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
NEVER go over the SPEED limit....OK.....
Perish the thought, old bean! (and after seeing your part time occupation I would like to quote the 5th on all further discussion re. speed limits lol!!!)

Last edited by Rowanbud; 11-07-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM

I know....but it had to said....you can't own one of these little cars without pushing the limit from time to time.....the stabilizer will help....but, still would like to find nylon bushings to stiffen things up a bit....

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.