Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Already have the Bilstein damper ordered from FCP Euro along with a spare CPS.

I've noticed since it's gotten warmer the car is tramlining much more than before and now really has a tendency to wobble when going over bumps. This makes some sense to me as a warmer damper would naturally have more travel in it.

Hoping the damper will clear some of that up. It's an inexpensive and easy place to start at least.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by sirharper
CPS.

This makes some sense to me as a warmer damper would naturally have more travel in it.
Warmer weather means warmer oil and warmer oil is thinner and passes through the valves easier.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Febi 01263 or 01261? 510N or 800N what is better for us?

Last edited by kamilspider; 10-09-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kamilspider
Febi 01263 or 01261? 510N or 800N what is better for us?
Bilstein 18-140651 ( Part # BIL-18140651)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mper-18-140651

Last edited by syfi; 10-09-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM

If you want the OEM original, then you want the Stabilus 1244630432 (Part #: STB-SG203004)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...per-1244630432

Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 PM

I'm from EU (Germany is my neighbour) and I have many option for buy new stabilus.
I want buy Febi stabilus but I not know what newton power is better 510[N] or 800[N] (both fit to XFire).
Anybody know?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kamilspider
I'm from EU (Germany is my neighbour) and I have many option for buy new stabilus.
I want buy Febi stabilus but I not know what newton power is better 510[N] or 800[N] (both fit to XFire).
Anybody know?
The Bilstein 18-140651 is the same match to the Febi 01261 which is the 800 N Eject Force.
Also, the Stabilus
1244630432 is the Mercedes Original OE Part #

https://www.rexbo.eu/febi/shock-absorber-steering-1261

Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 AM

I changed my stabilus for Febi/Bilstein 01261. Old was totaly broken (oil leak).
Now is much much better. Car/steering wheel is more comfortable and stable on uneven roads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dsc_2974.jpg (153.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just tell them you have an '04 SLK and you will get the right parts.
I will be installing this steering damper tonight so i will post my findings as to weather it fixed the problem.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM

I replaced mine because it was leaking, but the steering on mine still is very odd. When I come to a full stop on a road with a tilt, or a rut, the steering wheel pulls significantly. If I knew a good spot, I would catch a video of my wheel turning 90* when I let go at the last two seconds of full stop.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by TheThomaswastaken
I replaced mine because it was leaking, but the steering on mine still is very odd. When I come to a full stop on a road with a tilt, or a rut, the steering wheel pulls significantly. If I knew a good spot, I would catch a video of my wheel turning 90* when I let go at the last two seconds of full stop.

Brakes 'grabbing?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 PM

In this 26 pg thread I'm sure its been covered, but Mercedes dials in a lot of caster in the steering and depends on the dampner to even it all out. I have found different tires make a lot of difference I've found Continentals to be best yet. Had some front tires that wore out in 6000 miles Discount Tire said the " belts were wrapped wrong".. OK.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:13 AM
Eco
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is significantly reduced and I barely notice any "play" since making the following changes which collectively improved this:

New Febi steering stabiliser
Eibach pro kit lowering springs
Bilstien shortened performance shocks
Updated the brake discs and pads in case they OEM" units were "grabbing"
Always check tires are inflated to 32 and 33 PSI (front/back).

Car is so much better as a result. Keep in mind the car will react to the road differently owing to its dimension, large tires and the steering mechanism it comes with.

There definitely is a limit to the improvements one can make but that said they do make a massive difference.

Last edited by Eco; 04-28-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Forum Regular

I finally got around to changing my Steering Dampner. It cost a bit more than I anticipated...I had to buy new 16mm combination wrench (20 piece Gearmaster ratcheting sat at Sears), then I had to buy a set of ramps, as I only had one jack stand. In the end, I couldn't drive the car up the ramps, so I jacked one side, put the ramp stand in place, then repeat for the other side. I had previously tried to remove the stabilizer without turning the wheel: We all know that that can't be done.
Anyway....task is complete. Here's the issue. The original unit is significantly stiffer than the new one. I bought the recommended Stabilus. As presumed, the original unit is also a Stabilus. I took photos of the important details...everyone knows what a used dampner looks like.

Any ideas why the original would be so stiff? What I mean is, I pulled open the new unit laying on my back under the car. I then tried to collapse the original one from the same position, and I couldn't do it. I had to stand up and brace it against my leg to close it. Opening is a challenge as well.

Regardless, I've swapped it out, and I'm not about to put it back in. But, I will keep the old unit for a while just for kicks.

I'll find out how she drives tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Angry Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

I only have 90K on my 2007 Roadster. However, the reason I even replaced the shocks (and steering stabilizer that this thread suggested) was that I had flat spots on one of my front tires (the other was newer due to flat in sidewall) and since my alignment was fine, NTB suggested replacing shocks.

I didn't really notice much difference in ride with new shocks. Maybe a little stiffer, but not much noticeable. the only thing the mechanic noted was it definitely seemed to be ridding higher when he first let it down off the lift, but after I test road a few blocks, it seemed to settle down lower to what seemed like normal.

Arghh! At NTB they wanted $900 to provide/install KYB's, whereas I got for $200 total on Rock Auto and had a mechanic with a lift install for $180, saving a cool $500. Yeah!

However, I went back to NTB where I had a 3-year Alignment deal as roads in DC are so bad, I am constantly needed alignment, so this would be free. But they said, "oh, when you replaced the shocks you should have replaced the springs". Whhhattt? They never even suggested when they wanted the $900 for shocks only and they said now they do not even do springs.

The reason they said I need springs is that there is no camber adjustment available at all now with new shocks on, thus I need new springs.

I didn't see anyone else even bring up spring replacement around this steering stabilizer and another shock replacement discussion.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does that all sound right or should I get a 2nd opinion?

Also, in looking around it doesn't appear that anyone like Rock Auto, PartsGeek, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc. even carry springs.

Any thoughts from someone that know more than I would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the steering stabilizer the same thing as the steering damper?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Yes it is.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 AM
Forum Regular

Yes it is.
Thank you!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SCrowBird
I only have 90K on my 2007 Roadster. However, the reason I even replaced the shocks (and steering stabilizer that this thread suggested) was that I had flat spots on one of my front tires (the other was newer due to flat in sidewall) and since my alignment was fine, NTB suggested replacing shocks.

I didn't really notice much difference in ride with new shocks. Maybe a little stiffer, but not much noticeable. the only thing the mechanic noted was it definitely seemed to be ridding higher when he first let it down off the lift, but after I test road a few blocks, it seemed to settle down lower to what seemed like normal.

Arghh! At NTB they wanted $900 to provide/install KYB's, whereas I got for $200 total on Rock Auto and had a mechanic with a lift install for $180, saving a cool $500. Yeah!

However, I went back to NTB where I had a 3-year Alignment deal as roads in DC are so bad, I am constantly needed alignment, so this would be free. But they said, "oh, when you replaced the shocks you should have replaced the springs". Whhhattt? They never even suggested when they wanted the $900 for shocks only and they said now they do not even do springs.

The reason they said I need springs is that there is no camber adjustment available at all now with new shocks on, thus I need new springs.

I didn't see anyone else even bring up spring replacement around this steering stabilizer and another shock replacement discussion.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does that all sound right or should I get a 2nd opinion?

Also, in looking around it doesn't appear that anyone like Rock Auto, PartsGeek, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc. even carry springs.

Any thoughts from someone that know more than I would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe if you get camber plates?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Replaced the stabilizer dampener on all three of my Xfires and it helped the handling in them all, but the SSB Roadster still had an oversteering issue. I decided to go one step further and get the linkage with the new tie rod ends which we finally installed last week, but it was raining so it never got tested out. Yesterday, I drove it for the first time since the replacement part was installed and I was amazed at the handling improvements. This particular car only has 43,000 miles on it and I was surprised that the steering was in such poor shape, I was ready to get rid of it. I think I'll keep her a little longer now....Peace

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.