Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Just wanted to comment on the steering stabilizer. I read this whole post, and some have had the cheap $30 Ebay stabilizer wear out pretty quickly. Fcpeuro has the Bilstein stabilizer which is lifetime guarantee. I think I paid $65 for the Bilstein..just my 2 cents.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Great suggestion for a better made stabilizer. I have read that some replace the $20 (or $30) stabilizer every 7000 miles with their oil change, needed or not. I don't put that many miles on my CF, not sure mine (replaced one) is worn out. With a lifetime warranty on the part you described, how would one claim a warranty replacement? Would it have to leak or would one simply say, it's not working? I ask this because when mine (original) was replaced, there was no leakage. However, there WAS a significant difference in handling/stability. Let us know how the warranty works. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

With FCPEuro, I believe the lifetime policy is no questions asked ......

Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM

To replace ANY part from FCP EURO you would purchase a replacement part, when it arrives you'll remove the part that is bad that YOU ORIGINALLY PURCHASED FROM FCP EURO, you will mail the bad part back to FCP EURO, they will confirm that it is a part they sold you, then they will refund your replacement part cost back to your credit card..etc.
now you know the real difference between that cheap $30 stabilizer and an FCP EURO Bilstein stabilizer....enjoy

Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 PM

Btw bilsteins warranty is only 2 years on their parts, so FCP EURO has one heck of a warranty on ALL their parts.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy job, did mine today

Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

I replaced the steering stabilizer strut on my Roadster.
It probably wasn't needed but I replaced it anyway.
The car has 53,000 miles on it now

Old 11-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was confused on what to buy to replace my 2005 Crossfire ST6 steering dampener. I settled on my own search and found this link that indicates it fits my crossfire:
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...ng_damper.html

I hope this link is useful for others that got lost in this discussion, like me. I hope this helps.

Last edited by MrFastSRT; 11-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFastSRT
I was confused on what to buy to replace my 2005 Crossfire ST6 steering dampener. I settled on my own search and found this link that indicates it fits my crossfire:
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...ng_damper.html

I hope this link is useful for others that got lost in this discussion, like me. I hope this helps.
When I am looking for parts such as that, I always check Needs Wings first. They list this stabilizer in this section of their website: NeedsWings Performance Products. Suspension SRT6

Good luck,

The following users liked this post:
Bargegeek (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I bought the Damper from post 6 in this thread ($19.95 plus about $11 for priority USPS shipping - took two days to get it!) http://www.joetlc.com/steering-dampn...34flu2agb9m720

I took the old one off (the Graphite Roadster) and really thought it tested fine, had resistance, but it WAS "sloppy", the inner tube was "shaky" in the outer tube.

I just took a 3 mile drive - I KNEW this car didn't drive like the red one! The steering is "firm" now, like the other one (which I believe has the original part on it - with 33,000 miles).

So, of course the big test will be this weekend when I can get up to full speed and take the turns on GA 362 - I'll know then for sure.

But it looks like the old one HAD degraded.

One thing......

I noticed the old one was a RAHMENSEITE A 193 463 00 32 - I have no idea if this was the original or if it was replaced at one time, as I'm the third owner. The car has just over 50,000 on it.
Well, went on an overnight trip last night, 100 miles total and DAY-UM! The Graphite drives like the Red one now! I KNEW there was something up with this car, and now I know what it was! ! ! $31 and an hour of my time and fixed.
This is amusing. I've been saying, "The SE does not handle like the Graphite..." Same thing I said ten years ago about the Graphite. I was really thinking this car, because it is an 07 and the Graphite was an 05, that they did something to the design to degrade the handling.

Well, I put a stabilizer on the SE this morning - then went for a ride down "Road K" just outside Pineville, MO this afternoon. Night and day difference.

SO, like the title says, "Replace your steering stabilizer, you will be surprised .... ".

Old 10-31-2020, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

This is amusing. I've been saying, "The SE does not handle like the Graphite..." Same thing I said ten years ago about the Graphite. I was really thinking this car, because it is an 07 and the Graphite was an 05, that they did something to the design to degrade the handling.

Well, I put a stabilizer on the SE this morning - then went for a ride down "Road K" just outside Pineville, MO this afternoon. Night and day difference.

SO, like the title says, "Replace your steering stabilizer, you will be surprised .... ".
Who is the manufacturer of the stabilizer you put on?

Old 11-01-2020, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Coyote
When I am looking for parts such as that, I always check Needs Wings first. They list this stabilizer in this section of their website: NeedsWings Performance Products. Suspension SRT6

Good luck,
Same here. I ordered mine from Rob. It was an OEM part, the one on the car and the replacement were identical - tho after 13 years and 54,000 miles, the original was certainly bad.
The steering wheel is firm now, and handling is way better.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronman
Who is the manufacturer of the stabilizer you put on?
I did not give it a thought, I trust Rob to sell OEM or OEM equivilent parts.

Fortunately, I have OCrossfireD and snapped a picture of it - it says Bilstein on it.
See post 541, Rob's price is way lower than FCP, I paid $40 or $43 or whatever it was.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I did not give it a thought, I trust Rob to sell OEM or OEM equivilent parts.

Fortunately, I have OCrossfireD and snapped a picture of it - it says Bilstein on it.
See post 541, Rob's price is way lower than FCP, I paid $40 or $43 or whatever it was.

Thanks for letting me know, I don't think the aftermarket Sachs last as long as the factory ones even though they are the manufacturer of the factory part. I still wonder what the difference is between the Crossfire one and the SLK320 one since the Crossfire stabilizer is a 193 part number.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the Rhino Ramps for $38.49 at Home Depot and got the recommended stabilizer from FCP EURO for $50.93 delivered. Had the 16mm socket and wrench. The ramps slipped on my smooth garage floor but worked well on my driveway, especially since they were on a slight downward slope. And I was able to turn the wheel slightly to the left without moving the ramps. I did not add any fresh blue loctite to the upward facing bolt (think there was enough residual there). The original part has equal resistance to the new part, so I likely did not need the replacement (at least not yet). An easy task to be sure. I will keep the old part and use it as a contingency replacement should the new one ever fail.
Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Received 516 Likes on 412 Posts

I always found it interesting that the Steering Damper install shown in the Service Manual shows the bolt inserted from the bottom and the nut on the top. While this is a much easier removal & install, many of us were concerned that if the bolt ever worked loose from the nut, the bolt would simply slip out. Seems that a better "fail safe" install would be to insert the bolt from the top & tighten the nut on the bottom. This requires you to turn the wheels much farther to clear nearby steering linkage.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-05-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:33 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I adhere to in, down, back unless it is impossible.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The bolt I was referring to can only be installed from the bottom (there is no separate nut). The bolt on the other end of the stabilizer was installed (OEM) from the top down with a nut on the bottom, and I kept it that way.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:18 PM

Pretty sure you cant reuse loctite that's already dry...just saying! Why bother keeping old part? Keep your receipts from fcp euro...EVERY part they sell is warrantied for life!!

Old 11-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I will repeat myself. I buy such items from Rob at Needswings. I paid around $46 for mine from him - Iv'e never had a bad part from Rob.
This is the third one I've ordered from Rob (two went on the Graphite, one on the SE). EVERY time I change the stabilizer, I am surprised at how different the car is - probably cause I let it go WAY too long - and my love for curves means that the part is cycled tens of thousands of times in a year!

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.