CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Rear tires looks tilted inwards (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/25011-rear-tires-looks-tilted-inwards.html)

Dhinson 05-28-2008 07:17 PM

Rear tires looks tilted inwards

Does anyones rear tires looks tilted inwards at the top of the tire? I went to a tire shop and they told me the ailgnment is set correctly... The tires are wearing thin on the inside...

70GT6 05-28-2008 07:18 PM

Re: Rear tires looks tilted inwards

Originally Posted by Dhinson
Does anyones rear tires looks tilted inwards at the top of the tire? I went to a tire shop and they told me the ailgnment is set correctly... The tires are wearing thin on the inside...

That look is normal - wearing like that is not.

maxcichon 05-28-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
That look is normal - wearing like that is not.

Quite right.

Mine are tilted in 5/16" at the lip at the bead (I measured). But there is no uneven wear.

Dhinson 05-28-2008 07:29 PM

Should I try a wheel alignment? The car does not pull left or right. I drives smoothly

70GT6 05-28-2008 07:31 PM

Could try another shop for a 2nd check - also check your air pressure.

+fireamx 05-28-2008 07:54 PM

Has your car been lowered? Does it have "spacers" to give the wheel an offset?

DrMike 05-28-2008 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dhinson

Don't worry it's Normal, they sit tilted due to independent suspension. Many cars are like this.

SRT6nTulsa 05-28-2008 08:17 PM

Mine has a similar tilt, but I do not have uneven tread wear. I don't know what to tell you.

HyprLtH20 05-29-2008 05:22 AM

its called camber wear. get the alignment check again but by someone else lol. and do it soon or you are going to need new tires.

stlas69 05-29-2008 07:36 AM

Mine are tipped in as well and if you do a measurement there is some additional wear on the insde of the tire. I had them checked and was told that's the way it was designed and yes we would wear our tires at a uneven rate.

eganders 05-29-2008 09:15 AM

Yes, the inward cant or tilt is intentional and normal on your Crossfire. I think it's 2 or 3 degrees, but I'd have to look it up again to be sure. You'll find this handling adjustment to be more common on sports cars. Yes it can cause the tires to wear a bit more on the edge, but generally not a lot. Chalk it up to a small piece of the cost of owning a sports car! :D

Dhinson 05-29-2008 09:24 AM

Thanks guys for all your help

HyprLtH20 05-29-2008 10:24 AM

your eyes will barely notice 2 -3 degrees. if it is as noticable as you say then there is something wrong. it is supposed to have some camber yes...it is to help the car track better but keep it subtle so as to not rip through tires.

Moparrbust 05-29-2008 11:05 AM

That's negative camber and is present on ALL cars with IRS(Independant Rear Suspension) and is normal.

Fritzauf 05-30-2008 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
That's negative camber and is present on ALL cars with IRS(Independant Rear Suspension) and is normal.

That's right... It's normal and there is no rear camber adjustment to change it unless you buy a rear camber adjuster kit and install it. $300 - $400.