Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tire Wear Question

Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Wear Question

Hey all. I have a ’05 roadster with 25,500 miles on her. While getting an oil change this weekend, I was told that my tires are almost bald (i actually think he said something about the tread plate, but i have no idea what that means) and will need to be replaced very soon. I have continentals. Does this sound right? How long do tires usually last?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Tire Wear Question

I just this week replaced my Conti's with another brand. 16,000 miles and ~ 2 mm left in the rear. The fronts look like new. I do not abuse them.
If you have 25,000 on them, you did well.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/32nds of remaining tread it's time to replace.

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular

I got 25,000 out my rear Continentals, 30,000 on the front and still a decent amount of treadlife left. I'm happy with the Conti's as they provide a good compromise between perforance and ride comfort.

Kevin

Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Unhappy Re: Tire Wear Question

I just purchased my SRT6 with 10600 miles on it, and the front tires look great, but the rears are down to the wear indicators. Any suggestions about what would cause the uneven wear(the rears are equally worn)? What would you replace them with?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM

I have an SRT6 also, with ten thousand miles. I have exactly the same situation with regard to wear (I have the Pilot Sports). I plan to replace them in the fall with good all season tire, like the Goodyear F1. I think I might pick up an extra wheel and mount one of the still-good fronts and keep it in the garage as a spare. Seems the oversized rears wear about twice as fast, TBW

Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles Moore
Any suggestions about what would cause the uneven wear(the rears are equally worn)? What would you replace them with?
Originally Posted by Thomas B. Whyle
I have exactly the same situation with regard to wear (I have the Pilot Sports).

you will always have more wear on your drive tires... this is because the torque the engine produces is place mainly on those rear tires (RWD). This means the friction and surface heat made between the street and your tire is much higher in the rear than in the front cause more stress on the rear tires and thus cause them to wear quicker....

educated $.02

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Remember too, that it's much easier to remove rubber on the rear tires if you're driving a SRT ! Turn off your traction control & mash the peddle from idle once & see what happens! End of "why are my rear tires getting bald" story!
Seriously, since there are no tread life guarantee's (usually) with performance tires getting 20K+ miles on the rears is pretty darn good. There is quite a variety of tires available: some members are using Kuhmo's because they're less expensive than most, some stick w/ Michelin. I prefer a good all-season tire: up here in the sticks it makes the most sense for me. As I type, I need both fronts & rears. Presently, I have the Conti's on the front & Goodyear F1's on the rear. The Conti's came with the car (duh!) & the Goodyears I added late last year before the snows. They are pretty much shot so I might go with Dunlops all around though the Dunlops I bought for the Coupe I'm trying to sell are fairly noisy.
You just have to see what's out there, what you're willing to pay & what you plan on doing with the car.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM

I purchased my '04 coupe with 24K on it, and the rear tires were worn out, while the fronts were like new. I replaced the rears, and they wore out in 5K. This is os outrageous that I started really looking at my wheels, and noticed that the passenger sdie rear was seriously out of alignment. I had the alignment checked, and discovered that the the rear was out of alignment by alomt 2 degrees. I had the alignment corrected, and the car is so much lighter on its feet. It also corrected my crooked steering wheel.

Have your rear alignment checked.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 30k miles on my 04 Coupe and the Contis in front look good for another 15k.
I just replaced the rears with Nankang tires I found on eBay. Very pleased with these all-season tires and they were a great price.