CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Resetting TPMS (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/25959-resetting-tpms.html)

AG SIZZL 07-03-2008 01:30 PM

Resetting TPMS

I recently purchased a used 2004 Crossfire and am having troble with the TPMS. I can't get the indicator light to go out. I've corrected all the pressures to 32 psi after some dummy at a tire store my wife stopped at inflated all four to almost 50 psi. I don't find anything in the manual about indicating too high a pressure or resetting. Can anybody help or do I need to go help put my local dealer's kid through college?

Thanks

InfernoRedXfire 07-03-2008 01:50 PM

Re: Resetting TPMS

You're not going to like this answer, but you have to rebuild the entire engine to reset the TMPS. :eek:

Just kidding of course. I've read here where the dealer will need to reset the TMPS system for you. This should be covered under warrantee.

Oh, and congrats on your "new" car and welcome to this site.

maxcichon 07-03-2008 04:55 PM

If you do have to resort to consorting with a dealer:

as far as I can tell, when they "reset" the TPMS system they "tell" it what PSI setting at each tire to expect. Am I wrong?

Anybody?

So make sure they do it right, as it is preset to warn at a 10% psi drop.
(Set for 36 psi rear and will alarm @ -10% (3.6psi drop=32.4 PSI).

While done with the tire @ 33 PSI and .6 PSI later:

Warning light.

Is this the way it works? Or am I full of crap?

AG SIZZL 09-10-2008 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. The system never reset itself. I finally went to my local Chrysler dealer where they confirmed that it should reset itself. The tech looked at it and said I have one active code and two stored codes, although he couldn't explain the difference. Their answer was to recommend replacing all four sensors. I ended up paying $54 to have them reset the system (whatever that consists of) and drove off with no light on. Two days later its back with all four tires still pegged at 33 psi. Can anybody explain in plain english what active versus stored codes are? Also, can a tire dealer replace the sensors? I really don't wanna have to go back to the dealer and he's th eonly Chrysler game in town.
Thanks.

CrossfireLTD 09-10-2008 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
If you do have to resort to consorting with a dealer:

as far as I can tell, when they "reset" the TPMS system they "tell" it what PSI setting at each tire to expect. Am I wrong?

Anybody?

So make sure they do it right, as it is preset to warn at a 10% psi drop.
(Set for 36 psi rear and will alarm @ -10% (3.6psi drop=32.4 PSI).

While done with the tire @ 33 PSI and .6 PSI later:

Warning light.

Is this the way it works? Or am I full of crap?

Max.......you are correct (and not full of crap :cool: ), but I believe it is a 25% PSI loss (approx. 8lbs.) and this can be a combination of tires, example 1 tire has a 4lb. loss and another with a 4lb. loss will trigger the TPMS.......as told to me by my trusted Xfire Tech.

James1549 09-10-2008 12:58 PM

Stored codes are from previous event(s) that corrected itself or was repaired and not cleared from the system. Active codes are ones that are present and are currently reporting a problem.

James

maxcichon 09-10-2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Max.......you are correct (and not full of crap :cool: ), but I believe it is a 25% PSI loss (approx. 8lbs.) and this can be a combination of tires, example 1 tire has a 4lb. loss and another with a 4lb. loss will trigger the TPMS.......as told to me by my trusted Xfire Tech.

You are a good man. That was an older post and I've been dealing with an intermittant TPMS light since I got new tires and rims. Fixed it by reducing the pressure in all 4 tires by 1-1.5 psi (they were all a bit high) and it's been fine for 10 days now. :D

waldig 09-10-2008 01:31 PM

Sadly my tire indicator is on and its going to be that way untill I get the tires replaced cause the dealer or other Mercedes service center has to do a dance with the computer. The friendly tire store will do it when I get new tires for no fee,YESS.

No amount of VooDoo with a magnet will affect it and I really dont need it, though I have been told duct tape makes it invisible. Some have temporary lights that reset, mine is a hard hit that requires the code box to release the light.

Again I check the air and swap the wheels couple of times a month ( to slicks) so pressure is never an issue here.

I guess it is well intended but I wait for cars with a port USB? to allow us to change settings and the stupid radio functions that irritate us. MyDurango hemi has the worst radio display and interior lights that fade TOO Slow to be safe at night.

Enjoy, Woody:rolleyes:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle..._study_036.JPG

Richardski 09-11-2008 04:19 PM

Also had the same problem with mine. Inside of drivers door correct air pressure to be 32 and 33 psi. Tires were inflated to correct pressure per door . After taking car to dealer was told that isnt enough air. Tires are rated to 51 psi. Air pressure was placed at 38 and 40 psi by dealer. Told by dealer that corrected problem. Havent had any problems since. Told by dealer they needed that much air because of low profile tires. I still have the factory cont tires on car.

doc clock 09-11-2008 07:37 PM

I Also Have Origional Continental Tires.my Light Came On And My Pressure Was Down 7 Or 8 Pounds "psi".my Tire Light Came On Also At This Point.reinflated To .pressure Specs On Tire Yes 51psi And Light Went Out.these Must Be Like Aircraft Squat Switches.in Other Words When Pressure Is Put On The Switches Caused By Low Tires The Light Is On.when Inflated Correctly Body Raises Up And Takes Pressure Off And Breaks The Switch Connection.my D.o.t. Date For My Tires Is 0804 8th Week Of 2004.you May Also Have A Bad Sensor Causing Your Problem.good Luck

Valk 09-15-2008 06:26 PM

Got some newer wheels and tires from another member for the front and just got my matching new rear tires today.
Stopped by the dealer to have the tpms reset.
They said $102 to hook up and clear it
I said ripoff and walked away.

Whats this I read about a donut magnet ??
Anyone have this actually work ??

Thanks ,Valk

blacklimitedcoupe 09-15-2008 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Got some newer wheels and tires from another member for the front and just got my matching new rear tires today.
Stopped by the dealer to have the tpms reset.
They said $102 to hook up and clear it
I said ripoff and walked away.

Whats this I read about a donut magnet ??
Anyone have this actually work ??

Thanks ,Valk

They tried to pull that crap with me too on my coupe. Ended up paying the tech $20 to come do it for me. Took under 5 minutes with the computer plugged into the car.

beasticles 09-15-2008 08:14 PM

I am also interested in the magnet technique and if that doesn't work I plan to use a small piece of black electric tape which I hear is the best possible solution to cover up the light, besides taking it to the dealer and having them charge you an arm and a leg. Please let us know if the magnet works! I would love to get rid of the light.

GaryTheRock 08-19-2015 10:53 AM

I've been frustrated with the Crossfire TPMS for a couple of years. Since my wife's 2004 is now over 10 years old the TPMS sensors ran out of batteries (they last about 10 years). After a lot of searching on the web I found the cheapest ones (too long ago to remember the exact price, but about $20 or a bit more each). Eventually had Costco install them for about $35 in the tires.
Being a pretty crazy person tool wise I bought an OTC Genisys, part number: TPR3834 in hopes of advancing my cause. Good news and bad news. I was wishfully thinking this may well allow me to match the sensors to the computer. That was false. What this tool does, and it can be quite useful, is read the sensors from the Crossfire tires and return the serial number. A not too unusual problem is one sensor goes bad, and given only one tire light it doesn't tell which one is bad, which this tool solves; it can easily be used to identify the TPMS that is dead or malfunctioning. I understand it does many/most/all TPMS but your milage may vary; too many details and variances to be sure exactly how many, but I can definitely say it worked for me on the Crossfire.
Back to the TPMS programming. I "think" an Autel TS601 "might" do that programming. Even more than that Harbor Freight carries an "off brand" version of those for much cheaper. I'd love to find out if the Autel TS601 would really work for the Crossfire, and it would be really sweet if there was a Harbor Freight version of the same tool.

ultrajim49 08-19-2015 11:57 AM

I got new tires for my 2004 XF just after I bought it. Either the installers broke a sensor(s) or the inflation is wrong for the computer. Dealer said they would reset for free...but anything more than that would be very expensive...whatever that means. I do have the original size tires just another brand. I keep hearing conflicting stories on the correct pressure... 33/34 or 51/52 ???. This site has a vast amount of information on it...you just have to keep reading. I usually check my tire pressure regularly so I not that concerned about the light. I have read on this site that you can disable the tpms light on the dash by taking the wire from location #2 and putting in in #6 in the white connector that is located next to our dome light in the roof. Just remove/unscrew the dome light and you will see the white connector. I haven't. done this yet... but I plan to soon. Hope this helps.

GaryTheRock 08-19-2015 01:15 PM

OTC Genisys, part number: TPR3834 would read and tell you if one of the sensors was not responding and broken. Pretty expensive just to find that information out but I got mine for about 1/3 or more off the list price.
Rumor I heard is if your car is required to undergo smog/pollution checks if they notice the TPMS is not working they can flunk the car.
We did try a tire dealership whose information said they could enter the new TPMS in the computer but they gave up and charged us nothing but the trouble to go there.

KDW4Him 08-19-2015 08:42 PM

Gary, Ultra,

Two threads of interest.....

One for how the system works...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...01-basics.html

And the second, the one with part numbers that have been found to work...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-sensors.html

I don't recall seeing anyone report the blank slate sensors programmed to match the original ID's ever to work.

KDW4Him 08-19-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ultrajim49 (Post 845542)
I keep hearing conflicting stories on the correct pressure... 33/34 or 51/52 ???.

Correct pressure is on the inside of the driver door.

KDW4Him 08-19-2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by GaryTheRock (Post 845553)
We did try a tire dealership whose information said they could enter the new TPMS in the computer but they gave up and charged us nothing but the trouble to go there.

If they were trying to talk to the cars computer to put it in train mode the DRBIII dealer only tool is reported as being the only device capable on the Crossfire.

I got a chuckle out of the guy who put the tires on my car saying "Oh Chryslers, it will reset itself, just drive it." Yea right.

zero4crossfire 02-12-2018 10:00 AM

Mind bogglingly simple tpms tutorial derived from first hand knowledge, not 'beliefs'

MIND BOGGLINGLY SIMPLE OWNER'S TPMS TUTORIAL:
I have an 04 coupe and 05 convertible and KNOW how to deal with this from FIRST HAND, HANDS ON, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, DIY, DID IT MYSELF, DID NOT 'TAKE IT IN' OR HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT FOR ME.
If you want to avoid ever having to go to the dealer to program in a replacement TPMS sensor (unless you have an actual or emulator DBRIII scanner and software) just do this THIS WEEK WITHOUT FAIL:
If your TPMS light is not illuminated after driving, you have it made ! But, you need to record the serial numbers of all 4 sensors while their batteries are still good. You'll need to invest in a scan tool which will read all the individual serial numbers. Then, record which serial numbers correspond to which wheel positions.
So, when your TPMS light eventually comes on, which is a certainty, and if the tire pressures are still correct, it means one of the sensors has finally failed. Use your scan tool to determine which sensor is no longer reporting and verify that the other three sensors still are reporting.
Using the serial number from the failed sensor which you smartly recorded, get a new programmable sensor, program in the serial number from the failed sensor, install the new 'clone' sensor and the car's computer will recognize it as one of the serial numbers programmed in when the car was made and after driving for a half hour or so the TPMS light will turn itself off.