Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Rotor removal - help!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor removal - help!

So, I plan my day around working on cars yesterday. Everything was planned, set, and prepped. Even tough it was raining, I was bound and determined to replace the brakes on the pair of XF's. I have been doing brakes since I realized what a racket brake shops have going, so I'm no stranger to floating calipers, and brake upgrades. Hell, I can do drum brakes. A rare skill for some one in their thirties.

I get tire off, caliper, but but the good grace of Oden's Raven, how in the fack do you do get the caliper bracket off? What am I missing? I tried the bolts that hold them on, but I think there frozen. I tried the biggest burgular beater I could fit, but I need a lift for better clearance. Mouse milk, heat, hammer, nothing.

Anyone have a trick that makes them just pop right off like I'm missing a step?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rotor removal - help!

caliper bracket is held on by two pretty big bolts (19mm or so?). bolts came out and the bracket wont move? silly question, but you removed the *caliper* first right? to get the rotor off, theres a single philips head screw that holds them on.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
caliper bracket is held on by two pretty big bolts (19mm or so?). bolts came out and the bracket wont move? silly question, but you removed the *caliper* first right? to get the rotor off, theres a single philips head screw that holds them on.
This is exactly right. I remember placing a box end wrench on it and "persuading" it with a rubber mallet. They were tight.

Used Loctite when reinstalling too.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine came right off using a air wrench.
Also remember "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey."
Sometimes I get turned around when I have the wrench backwards.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 AM

I did get the caliper off first, but I didn't try the pursuasion of a hammer on the wrench. I need a bigger 6 pt box wrench to do that I guess. I'll try that next. Oh yeah, and that philips screw is a 5 mm hex, made from lead, so it deforms before it loosens. What do I do about that?

Even though I have known the rule of thumb lefty loosy righty tighty for many decades now, I made sure I had the wrench going in the right direction, a few times. It was unbelievable how tight that facker was.

- Grumpy

Last edited by aftcg; 12-15-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a very wierd screw indeed, but pretty common. All it does is hold the disc in place while you get the calipers on and align the lug holes. That you might find at an AutoZone or similar. Maybe a brake shop?

I hope you don't have to find a Chrysler or MB dealer for it.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by aftcg
Oh yeah, and that philips screw is a 5 mm hex, made from lead, so it deforms before it loosens. What do I do about that?
Next time use an Impact Screwdriver to remove and reinstall that screw.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530

Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt have any trouble with any of my screws or bolts when I replaced mine. And that little rotor lock screw seems to be just fine, no deformation. Good luck.

MikeR

Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 AM

I'm sure your long done with your rotors by now guy but for future reference, i don't know if anyone had limited space on the driver side to use a box end wrench with the good ol' rubber hammer but on my 04 limited i ended up using an 18 mm box end wrench and my hydraulic floor jack to push it up. Worked beautifully for the driver side. There was more room for a hammer on the passenger side but for future reference for people who haven't changed their rotors in a good couple years like the rotors on mine then those are probably the best 2 ideas from my personal experience. . . that and hella liquid wrench

Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An impact screw driver certainly is the tool to remove the rotor retaining screws. There must be a good reason why the front and rear screws are a different size!

Playing with my brakes and suspension so often, I have become acustomed to either not use that screw at all or just use a regular bolt and washer to facilitate the caliper install and then remove it before installing the wheel. A wheel alignment stud is key to a curse free install

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by turbomar
An impact screw driver certainly is the tool to remove the rotor retaining screws. There must be a good reason why the front and rear screws are a different size!

Playing with my brakes and suspension so often, I have become acustomed to either not use that screw at all or just use a regular bolt and washer to facilitate the caliper install and then remove it before installing the wheel. A wheel alignment stud is key to a curse free install
An old thread, but often the reason the Phillips screw heads are ruined is because peeps use deformed heads on their screwdrivers. The screwdrivers are deformed because they use the screwdriver on screws that are too large for that driver, Like Torx and Hex screws there is a correct size Phillips screwdriver for each screw.

The correct size Phillips screwdriver is the one where the screw can be pushed onto the tip and it stays there.

If you have cheap screws or cheap screwdrivers this may not apply.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Quick question on this. I know righty tighty lefty ... so if I am looking at the front of the rotor I am assuming that to loosen the caliper bracket bolts would be to turn the wrench clockwise right?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freygreer
Quick question on this. I know righty tighty lefty ... so if I am looking at the front of the rotor I am assuming that to loosen the caliper bracket bolts would be to turn the wrench clockwise right?
Yes you are correct unless of course it is a left hand thread bolt which fortunately for you these are not. I have a good idea why you're asking this question, those bolts have Loctite on them that's why they're so hard to get out so don't fret just put a little more muscle on that ratchet handle or wrench whichever you may be using

Last edited by kingdavid54; 04-06-2016 at 01:08 PM.