Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH

Originally Posted by Cissy
I hear you Pat..

Philly, my rear tire has develped a bubble as well before I found it flat. I didn't hit a pot hole. IMO, this is ridiculous. I know Michelin has a great reputation, but somehow their low profile tire is not making me a happy camper.

BTW, do you have a Tire Rack store or did you order them online or from somewhere else? I am sure that San Jose, CA had Tire Rack stores, but we can't seem to find one here anymore. Hmm...

Anyway, after $491 dollars, I'm on the road again. sheeeesh
I order from the Tire Rack web site, didn't even know they had a brick & mortar operation. I haven't purchased a single tire from anywhere else in the past 7 years or so. I have them shipped straight to my local Midas (who also does all of my service) for mounting and balancing. I've never had a single problem with TireRack.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySRT
I order from the Tire Rack web site, didn't even know they had a brick & mortar operation. I haven't purchased a single tire from anywhere else in the past 7 years or so. I have them shipped straight to my local Midas (who also does all of my service) for mounting and balancing. I've never had a single problem with TireRack.
that's great! Now, when you order tires and have them sent to your Midas place, do you contact Midas first or does Tire Rack contact them or how does it work?

I am beginning to have doubts on my memory, but I could swear that back in the 70's, they physically had stores here in San Jose. Maybe I am mistaken considering my age

Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

I think 3 flats in 3 years is ridiculous. I had my Miata 17 years with one flat and of course new tires all around when needed. One ONE flat because of a nail.
Sheesh
I tend to agree that 3 in 3 is high ... but, in the absence of any hard evidence to the contrary, would consider it a run of bad luck ... nails and other road hazards have a tendency to cause problems in rear tires ... as your front tire passes over them, they are flipped up and if your rear tire passes over the offending object JUST right (or should I say just wrong), the weight of the car drives the foreign object into your rear tire ... and, as you observed in the case of flat tire #2, s*** happens ...

Why it's happening at such a high rate to such a pleasant and undeserving person as yourself while so many of the rest of us are blithely sailing along without being anywhere near as cautious as you are is proof, if such is needed, that life is indeed unfair.

Chances are the odds will even out .... here;s hoping you find that to be the case .... in the meantime, I think you're taking a smart approach in considering carefully which tires to buy and in focusing on getting the most favorable price you can on them.

Best to you and Dic .... er, I mean "Richard" for a very happy and prosperous new year ahead ...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

Steve, you are so kind! And, when you started to type Dic....I mean Richard's name, I laughed out, coughing and sputtering!

Folks, Steve and I met in person last week...on the rainiest, coldest days of the year so far. It was sunshine the day before and the day after. As we stood in the downpour talking about our crossfires, I realized how crazy people think us car fanactics must be!

Also, thanks for your kind thoughts. I mentioned to you on that rainy day how nervous I am about traveling with no spare. And, what happens? 3 days later, I have a flat tire while she sat in the driveway....with no indication she was losing air like I normally get. A fat bubble on the inside side wall...sheesh... Whats up with that? LOL.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular

As we stood in the downpour talking about our crossfires, I realized how crazy people think us car fanactics must be!
Funny how different things look, depending on one's perspective .... from where I stood in that rain, the realization was not so much what others might have thought, but how gracious and tolerant you and Dic (I mean Richard) were to put up with me running my big ol' dumb Irish mouth while being so insensitive to the two of you getting soaked and freezing to death ...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveS
Funny how different things look, depending on one's perspective .... from where I stood in that rain, the realization was not so much what others might have thought, but how gracious and tolerant you and Dic (I mean Richard) were to put up with me running my big ol' dumb Irish mouth while being so insensitive to the two of you getting soaked and freezing to death ...
It was a lot of fun, nontheless and don't apologize. We are grown people. WE can take it <achooooo> Oh, exsqueeze me

Hey, have you considered the exhaust yet? Might not be your cup of tea, but the sound is sooooo sweet. I think even better that just idling and stepping on the excellerator while at a stand still. It's hearing it drive off that's really awesome.