Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Noise after replacing the Rear Shocks and Rotors

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise after replacing the Rear Shocks and Rotors

So over the weekend my car savvy friend (who happens to be my boss) replaced the front and rear rotors as well as the rear shocks.

The front rotors were a piece of cake apparently; as were the shocks when he replaced those a few months back. However there were some issues in the back since there isn't much wiggle room for removing the old shocks (which weren't even bad... but I had the fronts replaced so I wanted to keep it consistent).

Any case he was able to install the shocks and put it back together. I took it for a test drive and first dip I got to I heard the suspension acting up... I took it back he tightened the top nut (through the trunk) and I took it for a spin again. This time there were no loud thump noises, just A LOT of other noises such as a light thump every so often and rather consistent rattling coming from the rear.

I checked all of the "tire tools" in the trunk under the mat to make sure it was secure; I even re-taped the latch for the hatch, which used to drive me insane with its constant rattling. I've eliminated both of these as problems and now fear the worst; that it's something under the car that somehow got screwed up when installing the shocks and rotors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing these weird suspension thumps/ rattling noises??

In case anyone needs specs on the car I have a 04 coupe with 40k miles. The front shocks went at about 37k miles and the rotors have had a lip since I first bought the car (with 32k miles). The new rotors are Brembo stock replacements and the shocks are Bilstein HDs’.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noise after replacing the Rear Shocks and Rotors

I sounds like he forgot a bushing or possibly forgot to tighten the bolt that goes through the bottom of the shock. Have him go through the whole job again and double check. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noise after replacing the Rear Shocks and Rotors

That's what I fear.. He's convinced that it's something in the trunk (the tire tools making noise).. I'm scared to drive the car though since It could be anything from my brakes to the rear suspension..

We'll see today when he takes it for the test drive..