Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

C32 Brake upgrade

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: C32 Brake upgrade

Lantana, those look great... very nicely done. I will be interested in how they perform for you when done.

I emailed the MBforum guy about his. It is a pretty good deal but more than I can do right now. He is looking for 'high hundreds' for the full set.

MikeR

Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the comments. $99 for calipers (and factory drilled rotors that don't fit my car) a can of paint and new decals for another $15. Not bad so far. I will probably clean the rotors up and sell them to help recoup some money. This could be a very cost effective mod! I also emailed the guy who is selling the C32 set up and offered him $300 plus shipping. I dont think what he has is worth over $400 I can see ridges on the rotors so they aren't worth much but are probably useable for a while. The rear calipers are not that special or expensive. His front calipers are worth no more than $300 used. If he want close to a grand he is deaming. You can do the same thing with all new parts from the dealer for that.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt look very close at them after he said what he wanted... I'm not in any hurry to do anything...

A very good deal could tempt me to do something....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Keep in mind I titled this C32 upgrade but because of a deal I couldn't pass up I am using the same C32 type calipers except my calipers are designed for a 330mm rotor which is the same as the SRT-6 instead of the 345mm rotors that the C32 use. But my set up should be interesting to the SRT guys and the n/a guys that want STR size brakes with nicer calipers.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going the C32 route, going to try the rears also. Will post progess once I get them.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Here is a tip if you want to find out what calipers fit what rotors if you find a good deal on a site such as ebay. Go to this Brembo site:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/catalogo_AM/2007/index.html

then click on North American catalogue and then select USA. Select Brand Mercedes Benz and then the model that that the calipers claim to fit. If there are multiple rotors listed find the exact year of the model and click on the result and you will get all the specs and the part number for that rotor. Compare that part number to the C32 which is 25766 and see if it is the same. That will tell you if the caliper is the same as the C32 caliper. This is how I found out that C32 (W203), CLK500 (W209) and C55 (W203) CLK55 (W209) are all the same caliper and rotor conbination as the C32. the CLK500 (W209) might be cheaper since they say "Mercedes Benz" on the side instead of "AMG" but other than that they are the same caliper and all use the same rotor. the rotors for the SRT-6 are the same as the SLK32 and the only other Mercedes to ever use this brake package was the E420/E430 4-Matic all wheel drive, built between 2000-2004.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love seeng parts-bin engineering. This has me more and more excited to get a Crossfire, knowing that I can upgrade by just know what works from other cars.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

Bought the C32 brakes off the guy at MBWorld.org -- should have them in a week or so. Will post when I get them and get 'em on!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz
Bought the C32 brakes off the guy at MBWorld.org -- should have them in a week or so. Will post when I get them and get 'em on!!!
Cool! I should have my rotors by next week but will be traveling out of the country so it will probably be the week after before I am finished with my brake project.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Brake pads arrived today but I am still waiting for the rotors. For rotors, I went with a company that offer many different designs of slot/drill combinations. I selected a design similar to disc Italia's, but they are made to order. I am hoping to have them any day now. For pads I went with Posi-quiet Ceramic. I have had such good luck with these, i will probably never use a different brand. I know people on this site gererally like Rotex Gold which are semi-metalic, but ceramic last much longer, have even less dust (just about zero) and are incredibly easy on rotors. When I changed pads 1.5 years ago, my rotors had some uneveness and groves from the OEM pads. A year and half latter and my pads still look new and the rotors are pefectly flat and look much better than when I changed pads. Hopefully by next weekend at the latest my brakes will be on the car!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

You should try the EBC "Red Stuff" pads -- stop quicker, good on the street with those type of calipers, and can handle some track day stuff too. A little more dust maybe (but it's non-metallic so it just hoses off easily).....but great performance.

If dust is a major concern, go down one level to "Green Stuff"..I think you'll still get better braking.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM

You should try the EBC "Red Stuff" pads -- stop quicker, good on the street with those type of calipers, and can handle some track day stuff too. A little more dust maybe (but it's non-metallic so it just hoses off easily).....but great performance.

If dust is a major concern, go down one level to "Green Stuff"..I think you'll still get better braking.
Thank you for the suggestion, but no thanks. My Ceramic pads almost through me through windshield.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Forum Regular

I'm thinking of having a dash sign made requiring eye protection -- to hold your eyeballs IN !!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm thinking of having a dash sign made requiring eye protection -- to hold your eyeballs IN !!!!!
LOL! BTW, I have had EBC pads in the past and they are very good. When I was trial fitting my new calipers I couldn't believe what saw. The Posi Quiet Ceramic pads were still thick like brand new and the rotors looked perfect and never any break dust.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into this upgrade, Thanks a lot for all the helpful info Lantana. Now I'm just waiting for some good brakes on eBay with a good price.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
The calipers are now ready to install. I bead blasted them to bare metal and then painted them with silver Caliper paint then applied the lettering. How do they look? I am now waiting on rotors and and some new Posi-quiet ceramic pads.
Awesome!! What did you use for the lettering?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 PM

I bought the decals from this guy:

http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm

they are very good quality. I couldn't decide between AMG or Mercedes Benz, but finally decided on MB.

I am tracking my rotors and they have been shipped FedEx Ground and will be here Tuesday!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I bought the decals from this guy:

http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm

they are very good quality. I couldn't decide between AMG or Mercedes Benz, but finally decided on MB.

I am tracking my rotors and they have been shipped FedEx Ground and will be here Tuesday!
Good choice on M.B. stickers .. I have been following this since you started.. I got some Cl500 calpiers for my Limited.. Pics when I'm done!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
Good choice on M.B. stickers .. I have been following this since you started.. I got some Cl500 calpiers for my Limited.. Pics when I'm done!
The CL500 calipers will probably need the 330mm SRT/C32 rotors. One thing I am aticipating is the need for longer bolts and shims of some sort to center the caliper side to side on the rotor. The CL500 caliper is designed for a 330mm rotor that has more offset than the SSRT rotor. I am starting with brand new pads and then I will shim the caliper inward as much as possible to pick up a couple of mm's to help with wheel clearance. I won't know exactly what I am up against until the new rotors are here and I begin to put it together. I am confident it will work out just fine and will take lots of pictures as it goes together.

After this is done I will need some different wheels to show them off! Anyone want my 18x8 and 18x9's?

Quick Reply: C32 Brake upgrade