Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Camber kit install secrets?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Camber kit install secrets?

This weekend I plan on installing the front camber kit. Any and all tricks learned would be appreciated. I have a good floor jack and all the tools needed (I think) From what I gather the trick is to relieve pressure on the control arm to be able to get the old bolt out and the new one in. Would it help to compress the spring? I don't have a spring compressor but I have rope. Also I'm not sure which way the washers go to increase negative camber. I'd hate to put it in wrong and have to switch it afterwards. Any pre-op suggestions are welcome from those who have passed the instal experience.

Les

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Camber kit install secrets?

With the front wheels off the ground and resting on jack stands (I place the stands at the front jacking points on the frame) use the floor jack to relieve the pressure - no need to for spring compressor.

Here is a pick of the front DS camber bolt installed. - I had an alignment shop do the adjustment. - I removed the front (and rear) springs twice - once when I lowered my ride and then again to fine tune the height with the spring pads prior to getting a four wheel alignment

Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 PM

Wow! Great picture. Thanks Brian. Mine's not lowered but I'm trying to get as much negative camber as possible for the track. Naturally the car will be going in for an alignment afterwards. I've had such bad luck in the past with shops (other cars) that I'm determined to do all the work myself on the Crossfire. Lot's of blood, sweat and pride. Wish me luck.

Les

Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get an after market Camber kit like K-Mac or any other brand? I live in Texas and slamed a pot hole. passenger side.

Pedro

Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005
Where can I get an after market Camber kit like K-Mac or any other brand? I live in Texas and slamed a pot hole. passenger side.

Pedro
You need one bolt for each side if only the front camber requires additional adjustment - You may need 4 (two each side) if the front caster also needs additional adjustment - your alignment shop will tell you - but @ $9.00 each the price is not too bad (depending on shipping cost)

Parts Search :: EuroPartsAmerica

Mercedes R170 Steering and Suspension Parts

I purchased mine at the MB dealer for $19 ea. (P/N 2023300118)

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Thumbs up Re: Camber kit install secrets?

Thanks sooo much. Shipping is like 20 bucks. They have to ship from CA warehouse. i talked to dealer they are selling me 2 for 25 bucks. But thanks for the hook up. I will definitly use them next time. And to top it all they are 30 minute drive from my office. How Cool is That!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM

I know this is an old thread but there is a question that has not been answered and one that cannot be verified on any other thread that i can find. Which way should the washer be placed to achieve negative or positive camber/caster? I am in the middle of replacing all four alignment bolts. Currently, my caster is at 4.36 left and 4.57 right; camber is -1.9 left and -1.6 right.

I think the flat side of the washer facing towards the engine is positive and facing towards the tire is negative, so the picture Brian provided shows it in the positive position. Can anyone confirm this? Id like to properly adjust it before taking it back in for an alignment check.

Last edited by airborne82nddiv2003; 01-24-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Forum Regular

I can't check now as I had to step up to the k-macs but as a newb that has done the job it makes more sense once you are down there.

Here is a diagram but not sure how much it helps.

Searching Mercedes camber bolt and similar terms like crash bolts in google images will give you some more leads. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

Did anyone else that installed the K-mac kit have much squeal/squeaking introduced to the ride?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM

My car creaks and groans at times when I go over speed bumps slowly but I'm not positive it's the Kmacs. I hear it mostly when jacking up the car and not driving.

Les

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular

I had an ugly squeak develop after getting the fronts done and was embarrassed at the dragon squeaking over every little bump in the parking lot I finally figured it out though, it was not the bushings but a result of the install. On the passengers side the way it was setup was causing the lower arm to rub against the little cross member/support bar that runs under it. (They overlap right where the bushing is) I took one turn out of the torx on each side of the support and gave it a little pry right where the contact was happening, squeak fixed.

Some people have complained of noise on new install at MB world but they should break in after a few miles.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

How can you adjust caster with the bolts?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Forum Regular

You have to get 2 sets if you want to adjust caster. They install on the other pivot point and give you the same kind of static adjustment.

Last edited by Airscape; 02-27-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Forum Regular

Mine have been for over a year and still squeak and croak on every bump. I have mostly gotten used to it, but was just curious if i was a special case.