CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Spraying Rotors with Clear?? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/35869-spraying-rotors-clear.html)

BoilerUpXFire 07-09-2009 01:45 PM

Spraying Rotors with Clear??

I have seen, either here or on another forum (yes I searched and did not find) where people have sprayed their rotors with high temp clear to keep them from rusting. Is this the best way, other than zinc plating?? Has anyone else done this??

Also, any parts that I should mask off and make sure not to spray??

Thanks.

ZAHANMA 07-09-2009 01:47 PM

Re: Spraying Rotors with Clear??

That may work for the rear portion of the rotors but anything you put on the front side of the rotor or pad will be burned off very quickly under initial braking...

maxcichon 07-09-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
That may work for the rear portion of the rotors but anything you put on the front side of the rotor or pad will be burned off very quickly under initial braking...

...and may contaminate the pads. Beyond repair.

BoilerUpXFire 07-09-2009 02:02 PM

I am aware of the rubbing off, but pads do not touch nearly the entire front section, so a good portion will remain protected, the portion I am worried about. The part that the pad touches and rubs off the clear will remain clean from the pad's near constant use. I am worried about what Max is mentioning, any idea if this will hapen, ruining the pads???

Thanks.

BoilerUpXFire 07-10-2009 08:07 AM

If anyone is aware of an answer os has done this, please respond if you can, I am doing a brake job on Saturday on a friends car and need to know before then. THANK YOU.

maxcichon 07-10-2009 08:52 AM

Personally, I wouldn't clearcoat the pad contact areas. The vented rim and the hub areas, sure. Make sure not to put on an uneven coat where the rotor contacts the hub and the wheel contacts the rotor.

Harleyracefan 07-10-2009 09:03 AM

You could maybe use your old pads to break in that surface? so as not to gum up the new ones.
Drive it a week or so?

oledoc2u 07-10-2009 09:44 AM

its only rusty until you use them again...just continually drive, John...never shut down...they won't rust then....LOL OK....don't put anything on the them...heat will still eat the clear off, you are wasting your time, unless this car will never be driven again...the whole rotor heats up, not just the pad area...

BoilerUpXFire 07-10-2009 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Harleyracefan
You could maybe use your old pads to break in that surface? so as not to gum up the new ones.
Drive it a week or so?

Great idea, thanks.

Anyone know how well the zinc coating works at fending off the rust????

BoilerUpXFire 07-10-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
its only rusty until you use them again...just continually drive, John...never shut down...they won't rust then....LOL OK....don't put anything on the them...heat will still eat the clear off, you are wasting your time, unless this car will never be driven again...the whole rotor heats up, not just the pad area...

I understand the whole rotor heats up, but I have 700 degree engine clear coat, think this is hold up??

oledoc2u 07-10-2009 09:52 AM

rotors will heat to over 1000...no clear available to for the temp a rotor will heat up to...they will glow red at night if you use them like you and I do............

maxcichon 07-10-2009 09:55 AM

'ole doc is right.

maxcichon 07-10-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 05XF-LVR
Great idea, thanks.

Anyone know how well the zinc coating works at fending off the rust????

Mine are zinc-works fine.
Nickel works better. Much more expensive.

BoilerUpXFire 07-10-2009 11:26 AM

Thanks a lot guys, think I am just going to have them zinc coated and hope for the best....

DesertFox 07-14-2009 12:21 AM

Seriously... I hope this thread never makes it out of this forum... Unlike the BMW owner that used a sock as a replacement for their oil cap....

Your rotors are meant to rust. The brakes need friction to work. Do not apply clear coat to them. Thank you for your time.

maxcichon 07-14-2009 08:11 AM

Edited for content-too much caffeine.

BoilerUpXFire 07-14-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by DesertFox
Seriously... I hope this thread never makes it out of this forum... Unlike the BMW owner that used a sock as a replacement for their oil cap....

Your rotors are meant to rust. The brakes need friction to work. Do not apply clear coat to them. Thank you for your time.

Friction, what is that?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for comparing me to a guy who uses a sock for an oil cap when I was simply trying to determine if there was a way to keep the aesthetics of the brakes intact while maintaining full functionality.

"LET 'EM RUST!!!" I am sure that is what they do at the race track too, "My brakes are kind of fading, Cledis" says the driver, "Well apparently you did not let them RUST up enough, Darrell, don't you know you need rust for friction???"

LMAO

maxcichon 07-14-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 05XF-LVR
Friction, what is that?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for comparing me to a guy who uses a sock for an oil cap when I was simply trying to determine if there was a way to keep the aesthetics of the brakes intact while maintaining full functionality.

"LET 'EM RUST!!!" I am sure that is what they do at the race track too, "My brakes are kind of fading, Cledis" says the driver, "Well apparently you did not let them RUST up enough, Darrell, don't you know you need rust for friction???"

LMAO

You may notice that I had the restraint needed to at least redact what I flamed him with.
I might have been banned! It had to do something with carbon fiber and stainless steel rotors. We'll leave it at that?:rolleyes:

BoilerUpXFire 07-14-2009 02:55 PM

After I hit post, I say your edited one and laughed my *** off Max....

mrphotoman 07-14-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DesertFox

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if he got the idea of spray painting his rotors from a honda buddy? :rolleyes:

https://www.automoblog.net/wp-conten...s-this-add.jpg