Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS sensors

Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TPMS sensors

Thanks to everyone who has shed some major light on this tedious problem! I just replaced the one bad sensor on my crossfire's tire with a Schrader 33500. The "sophisticated" shop that installed it couldn't figure out how to program it. Then I went to two different tire shops (www.ntb.com) and they used the Tech300Pro and Tech400Pro tools respectively. None of them were able to reprogram/clone (or whatever you wanna call it) the sensor! Is there a step-by-step guide (aside from the Schrader youtube vids) on how to do this so they aren't able to say the sensor is not reprogrammable? I wish I had the tools so I would just do it myself. Thanks for any input!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cheyoru
Thanks to everyone who has shed some major light on this tedious problem! I just replaced the one bad sensor on my crossfire's tire with a Schrader 33500. The "sophisticated" shop that installed it couldn't figure out how to program it. Then I went to two different tire shops (www.ntb.com) and they used the Tech300Pro and Tech400Pro tools respectively. None of them were able to reprogram/clone (or whatever you wanna call it) the sensor! Is there a step-by-step guide (aside from the Schrader youtube vids) on how to do this so they aren't able to say the sensor is not reprogrammable? I wish I had the tools so I would just do it myself. Thanks for any input!
I have talked to Schrader tech support myself, they were a great help and I hope those shops made a call. Can you help with a few details please?

First, the programming process is done off the car by all the vids I have seen but you said "installed it" Do you actually mean the sensor is IN the wheel while all this is going on?

Second can any of the shops read the original sensor? This means, does it display the code on the screen of the device they used?

If they determine
success by seeing if the light goes out on the dash then I would back up one step. Using the tools can I see a code on the screen of the tool of the old sensor then after the proper programming steps can I now see that same code on the screen of the tool.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 03-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Many people state that the part number is Schrader #33500, that number is for the rubber stem model.
If you want a stem that matches the OEM aluminum stem then the part number is Schrader #33700.
To change the 33500 to a 33700 you can buy a kit, but why waste money and have useless parts left over?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I have talked to Schrader tech support myself, they were a great help and I hope those shops made a call. Can you help with a few details please?

First, the programming process is done off the car by all the vids I have seen but you said "installed it" Do you actually mean the sensor is IN the wheel while all this is going on?

Second can any of the shops read the original sensor? This means, does it display the code on the screen of the device they used?

If they determine
success by seeing if the light goes out on the dash then I would back up one step. Using the tools can I see a code on the screen of the tool of the old sensor then after the proper programming steps can I now see that same code on the screen of the tool.
Thanks for the reply! To answer your questions:
1) The sensor is IN the wheel at this point. The "bright" guys at the shop installed it without making sure it was programmable, thus charging me $50. Then, when they weren't able to program it they said to take it to a shop dedicated to working tires. (sigh).
2) The car shops read the other three original sensors. One shop was able to read the new sensor and the other one didn't.
I am not sure if it displays a code. But my plan is to head to yet another NTB later today and closely examine what these guys do.
I do have the sensor that was taken out, but I don't think that's any good.
Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Many people state that the part number is Schrader #33500, that number is for the rubber stem model.
If you want a stem that matches the OEM aluminum stem then the part number is Schrader #33700.
To change the 33500 to a 33700 you can buy a kit, but why waste money and have useless parts left over?
You are 100% correct! At this point, the sensor is in the car's tire .

Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cheyoru - first, nice looking car! I think the Aero Blue SRT-6 Roadster is the best. (I have one.) For a while I thought I wanted the active spoiler, but now I am good with that whale tail, and not being called out for going over __ mph in the city.

GREAT that you have the (one?) old sensor(s?), seems you understand how the "cloning" system works! Although with the no-display, only warning lamp Crossfire setup we are at the mercy of techs who have specialized TPMS tools to read the details of what each sensor is broadcasting.

The system needs to see signals from all FOUR wheel sensors with sensor IDs matching what the car system is looking for - right? Your initial post yesterday says "I just replaced the one bad sensor on my crossfire's tire...." What about the other three? How did you determine that there was one bad sensor? Without the Chrysler dealership DRB III or Enhanced DRB III Emulator there isn't a way to know that the car is seeing all four sensors with the IDs that it (the car) is looking for. Tire shop TPMS tools can trigger the wheel sensor (most of the time -some of the oldest sensors need a TPMS magnet to trigger) and watch for the transmission, which includes the ID. But those handheld TPMS tools cannot determine whether the car receiver up by the rearview mirror was able to pick the signals up.

To a couple other points: sure, the normal new sensor programming is done with the sensor in immediate contact with the tool, but instructions I have seen do say that the 1) Programming and 2) Cloning (two related by different things) may be done on sensors already mounted in tires.
(Programming is to tell the near universal sensor that it needs to use the communication protocol for a Chrysler 2003 minivan or Dodge Viper or Chrysler Crossfire or Plymouth Prowler - which all used the same sensor. Distinct operation to copy (clone) the "unique" sensor ID which is remembered and being looked for by the car system into a new sensor)

The two TPMS tools you mentioned, Tech300Pro and Tech400Pro, are made by Bartec. Schrader also works with a competitor TPMS tool company, ATEC. Both these companies make TPMS tools sold under other brand names, like Snap-on, even Schrader. Since the Crossfire sensors are among the oldest out in the field, ANY functioning TPMS tool should be able to read the Crossfire sensors (with again the caution that some original Karmann installed sensors will need a magnet to trigger, not the LF radio signal from the TPMS tool.) The TPMS tools must be updated with the correct level of software to program and clone whichever sensors are being used to replace the old sensors.

Anyway - you should still be able to get things working, if you have all four of the sensors which USED to work with your car. Just have those cloned (after being programmed) to duplicate the original four sensors, the car TPMS is happy again.

Worst case is that new sensors have IDs which are NOT known to the car system, then have to get the Chrysler dealership DRB III to put the car into Relearn mode, teach it the new sensor IDs.

Makes sense?

(Just came across a possibly helpful document at https://www.schradersensors.com/site...SS30003-01.pdf)

Last edited by ZH SRT6; 03-22-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Adding useful link
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
cheyoru - first, nice looking car! I think the Aero Blue SRT-6 Roadster is the best. (I have one.) For a while I thought I wanted the active spoiler, but now I am good with that whale tail, and not being called out for going over __ mph in the city.

GREAT that you have the (one?) old sensor(s?), seems you understand how the "cloning" system works! Although with the no-display, only warning lamp Crossfire setup we are at the mercy of techs who have specialized TPMS tools to read the details of what each sensor is broadcasting.

The system needs to see signals from all FOUR wheel sensors with sensor IDs matching what the car system is looking for - right? Your initial post yesterday says "I just replaced the one bad sensor on my crossfire's tire...." What about the other three? How did you determine that there was one bad sensor? Without the Chrysler dealership DRB III or Enhanced DRB III Emulator there isn't a way to know that the car is seeing all four sensors with the IDs that it (the car) is looking for. Tire shop TPMS tools can trigger the wheel sensor (most of the time -some of the oldest sensors need a TPMS magnet to trigger) and watch for the transmission, which includes the ID. But those handheld TPMS tools cannot determine whether the car receiver up by the rearview mirror was able to pick the signals up.

To a couple other points: sure, the normal new sensor programming is done with the sensor in immediate contact with the tool, but instructions I have seen do say that the 1) Programming and 2) Cloning (two related by different things) may be done on sensors already mounted in tires.
(Programming is to tell the near universal sensor that it needs to use the communication protocol for a Chrysler 2003 minivan or Dodge Viper or Chrysler Crossfire or Plymouth Prowler - which all used the same sensor. Distinct operation to copy (clone) the "unique" sensor ID which is remembered and being looked for by the car system into a new sensor)

The two TPMS tools you mentioned, Tech300Pro and Tech400Pro, are made by Bartec. Schrader also works with a competitor TPMS tool company, ATEC. Both these companies make TPMS tools sold under other brand names, like Snap-on, even Schrader. Since the Crossfire sensors are among the oldest out in the field, ANY functioning TPMS tool should be able to read the Crossfire sensors (with again the caution that some original Karmann installed sensors will need a magnet to trigger, not the LF radio signal from the TPMS tool.) The TPMS tools must be updated with the correct level of software to program and clone whichever sensors are being used to replace the old sensors.

Anyway - you should still be able to get things working, if you have all four of the sensors which USED to work with your car. Just have those cloned (after being programmed) to duplicate the original four sensors, the car TPMS is happy again.

Worst case is that new sensors have IDs which are NOT known to the car system, then have to get the Chrysler dealership DRB III to put the car into Relearn mode, teach it the new sensor IDs.

Makes sense?

(Just came across a possibly helpful document at https://www.schradersensors.com/site...SS30003-01.pdf)

Wow, thank you for this post, it makes me think I have been relying on the tire techs waaay too much. And I love your car also!!
To answer your questions:
1) I thought I only needed to change one since the techs initially explained that 3 sensors were being read by THEIR tools (Tech300Pro). I replaced the one that wasn't being read. You are correct, I didn't ask if they knew whether or not the Crossfire, not their Tech300Pro, was reading all sensors (I simply I didn't know what I didn't know! and neither did the tire pros )
2) Excellent explanation about the difference between programming and cloning! Quick question, does each sensor have a unique ID (it sounds like it from your answer)? or is one unique ID shared by all four sensors? I ask because I did see the techs going around the car, placing the Tech300Pro tool next to whatever tire the machine told them to place it next to. Maybe they were trying to clone the sensor from and ID gathered from the other tire sensors?
3) I did have one tire tech (out of 5 different ones) ask me for the previous sensor, which I now think he was trying to clone... How could I clone the sensor if the sensor is completely dead by now? Is this the scenario that would require the DRB III machine that only the dealers have?

By the way, the loser Chrysler Dealer near me says they don't work with aftermarket sensors, only sensors purchased at the "stealership" (as they are correctly called here...)

Thanks again!

Sergio

Old 03-22-2019, 02:41 PM

I do have the sensor that was taken out, but I don't think that's any good.
Here's the tough part, if you cannot read the old sensor you cannot clone it to the new. Some sensors have the code written on them but after 14 years it may have wore off.

Make sure they try a magnet to get it to send a code to read

Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Will do! Thanks!! I am picking the XFire up from the detailer :-D paint correction and about to days worth of detailing work. Can't wait!!

Old 03-22-2019, 02:56 PM

By the way, the loser Chrysler Dealer near me says they don't work with aftermarket sensors, only sensors purchased at the "stealership" (as they are correctly called here...)
If this doesn't work out you can always ask the dealer if they can relearn the sensors for you. Don't tell them you had 4 new schrader OEM style 20028's put in. That's what I did.

Schrader Info Click Here

Last edited by KDW4Him; 03-22-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:22 PM

I am replacing the original tire pressure sensors with programable Schrader EZ-Sensor 33700. I am able to read the original sensor ID's with a TPMS tool. When cloning the the ID's from the original to the new Schrader sensor The TPMS tool is asking for the format of the ID's either Auto or Hexadecimal or Decimal. Which ID format does the Crossfire use or does it matter to the car's computer.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats over my head. What I did was have discount tire clone it. I didn't buy anything. Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Use the most reliable tool that costs only a couple of bucks maximum (high end?) called a tire pressure gauge. They work GREAT, and never have to be calibrated to any computer or system except when filling a tire (you review the sidewall for the maximum pressure if not OEM), IF OEM, you check your door sill or wherever the tire size/pressures 'sticker' was mounted.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by catch36
I am replacing the original tire pressure sensors with programable Schrader EZ-Sensor 33700. I am able to read the original sensor ID's with a TPMS tool. When cloning the the ID's from the original to the new Schrader sensor The TPMS tool is asking for the format of the ID's either Auto or Hexadecimal or Decimal. Which ID format does the Crossfire use or does it matter to the car's computer.
Your best bet is to call Schrader tech support and ask or call a local Discount tire (or someone similar) and see what they say.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have put the Schrader 20028 in my 2006 roadster and they worked fine. Programmed by dealer before install.

Old 09-26-2023, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Update December 2018
Update June 2018
The sensor to use is Schrader #33500

I just got off the phone with Schrader and their tech support guy says the replacement OEM style (non-programable) that the car will still need the relearn process is the 29227 part number.