Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS sensors

Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TPMS sensors

Originally Posted by onehundred80

What makes you think they are the OEM part? Because they are not.
The 33500 part was determined to be the part to use, just make sure you can get them programmed efore you buy.

Schrader *IS* the OEM manufacturer... Chrysler and Schrader both independently confirmed this.... Unless they are both lying about it? Then I'm not sure lol.

And again, not sure what you mean by "programmed before you buy."? You can't just "program" them pop em in and use em... It doesn't work like that because there is no "learn" mode on the Crossfires... So yes, you *COULD* get em "pre-programmed" and put them in but you'd *STILL* have to take the card to the Chrysler dealership (One that has Crossfire programming capabilities at that because 9/10 dealers (at least here in Chicago) do NOT have these tools either).

Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by JB007Rules
Schrader *IS* the OEM manufacturer... Chrysler and Schrader both independently confirmed this.... Unless they are both lying about it? Then I'm not sure lol.

And again, not sure what you mean by "programmed before you buy."? You can't just "program" them pop em in and use em... It doesn't work like that because there is no "learn" mode on the Crossfires... So yes, you *COULD* get em "pre-programmed" and put them in but you'd *STILL* have to take the card to the Chrysler dealership (One that has Crossfire programming capabilities at that because 9/10 dealers (at least here in Chicago) do NOT have these tools either).
True Schrader was the OEM supplier but those are not the original parts, they were made as aftermarket items.
You are misreading what I meant about programming before you buy, I mean make sure you have a shop or whatever that can program them for you, instead of having no one close who can set them up for you. The 33500 parts should be able to be set up by a tire shop as the parts were made to be set by tire dealers and not dealerships who often cannot do it anyway. They would charge a high price for it if they did manage to do it and may have the nerve to try and charge you even if they failed.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:57 PM

True Schrader was the OEM supplier but those are not the original parts, they were made as aftermarket items.
You are misreading what I meant about programming before you buy, I mean make sure you have a shop or whatever that can program them for you, instead of having no one close who can set them up for you. The 33500 parts should be able to be set up by a tire shop as the parts were made to be set by tire dealers and not dealerships who often cannot do it anyway. They would charge a high price for it if they did manage to do it and may have the nerve to try and charge you even if they failed.
So according to Vince at Mancaris in Oak Lawn, IL (About an hour and a half from me too) it's $135 for 1 or for all 4 (So I'd do all 4 *if*, at this point, I want to do it) and there are no guarantees and I'd have to pay the $135 even if it didn't work. They agreed to use the sensors I would bring them which at this point are $151... So I"m at $151 for sensors, $80 for Discount tire to mount/dismount/install them and $135 for Chrysler to program... $367 all in.... That's stupid crazy money.....

Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

That's stupid crazy money.....
as compared to 1/4" of black electrician's tape or the move the wire fix

Old 10-16-2018, 05:19 PM

So according to Vince at Mancaris in Oak Lawn, IL (About an hour and a half from me too) it's $135 for 1 or for all 4 (So I'd do all 4 *if*, at this point, I want to do it) and there are no guarantees and I'd have to pay the $135 even if it didn't work. They agreed to use the sensors I would bring them which at this point are $151... So I"m at $151 for sensors, $80 for Discount tire to mount/dismount/install them and $135 for Chrysler to program... $367 all in.... That's stupid crazy money.....
PM ReliableRon and ask him who set his sensors up, was it a car dealer or a tire dealer. They were meant to be able to be set by the tire installer not the dealer. Whoever sets them up has to have the correct tool for it.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So what is the final verdict here? I ask because I'm about to buy 4 of these bad boys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 as this is the OEM part per Chrysler for my 2005 SRT6 based on the VIN! 433MHz sensors with OEM Mopar P/N being 68406527AA.

These are $35/each + tax on Amazon brings me to $151.20.

Now I see this thread and I question if I should just get the 33500's??? They are only $13/each here on eBay... For $52 VS $151.... What should I do? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmabl...onW9:rk:2:pf:0

I was reading that for harsher weather the rubber stems are a bit more resilient? The car has aluminum ones on there now.

To the OP as of June of 2018, is your car a 433MHz one or 315MHz? Just curious.

Thanks guys!
Have a tire shop trigger and read the frequency. Glad I did, stealership gave me the wrong number per VIN.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the ones on my 2004 coupe and 2005 (very early production) roadster done by Big O Tires in February. They charged me 200.00 (Canadian) for the set as I bought tires too. They normally charge 65. + 10 for install ea. I had no problem at all and they work fine.
BUT I just took my 2005 (later production) in for the same and they did not clone the originals first before removing which seemed to cause a problem. They were not able to reset the TPMS with either frequency - could not read the car. The Chrysler dealership tried but could not read the sensors but could connect with the system (the manager said they usually can't even connect with the system!) They both ended up trying both frequencies. Now they are saying the OEM replacements are my only choice but don't seem to want to guarantee it. Will see later this week and advise what happens. You can't win sometimes.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM

PM ReliableRon and ask him who set his sensors up, was it a car dealer or a tire dealer. They were meant to be able to be set by the tire installer not the dealer. Whoever sets them up has to have the correct tool for it.
Tire installer? Are those programable/clonable sensors?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 10-16-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 PM

After 8 months of trying to find a place that can reprogram the TPMS sensors, I said screw it. Popped out the dome light blah blah blah. And all is well. The wire harness was waaaay short, and I was lucky to be able to get my fingers in there to separate the connector. Removed #1 wire for easier access to wire #2. Thanks for the great posts on how to do that. Coming up on my vehicle inspection and didn't want to risk not passing because of an idiot light on the dash.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by LVXF
After 8 months of trying to find a place that can reprogram the TPMS sensors, I said screw it. Popped out the dome light blah blah blah. And all is well. The wire harness was waaaay short, and I was lucky to be able to get my fingers in there to separate the connector. Removed #1 wire for easier access to wire #2. Thanks for the great posts on how to do that. Coming up on my vehicle inspection and didn't want to risk not passing because of an idiot light on the dash.
TPMS 101, Just so everyone reading this is clear... "places" don't reprogram TPMS. When new sensors are put in a Crossfire the dealer with a DRBIII puts the car into relearn mode so the car's computer learns the new sensors.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
TPMS 101, Just so everyone reading this is clear... "places" don't reprogram TPMS. When new sensors are put in a Crossfire the dealer with a DRBIII puts the car into relearn mode so the car's computer learns the new sensors.
When sensors are cloned surely that could be called programming?

Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

When sensors are cloned surely that could be called programming?
Works in my world! But I will admit that replacing sensors is a somewhat confusing & irritating task due to the nature of Crossfire design.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This topic really has me interested.

Here's my recent experience...am the new owner of an '05 SRT6 coupe. When purchased in July (car is an 05/04 [May of 2004] build) car had just under 40K miles. Now has 41,500 miles. About 2 weeks ago my TPMS dash light went on Doesn't blink just turns on right after firing her up. The month prior, to establish a base line with this car, I rotated the wheels right to left. At that time I aired up all 4 tires to 36 lbs. No issues. No TPMS light until 2 weeks ago. Well, I did read here where airing up the tires to 50 lbs turned off the TPMS light. Was tempted to do this, but didn't. Also read where there are 2 types of sensors, 433 mghz and 315 mghz. So today I stopped first at Discount tire to have them air up all 4 tires. Decided with the cold snap here to air them to 38 lbs. Asked them if they could tell me which mghz sensors were on the car. No problem. I expected the tool they had to be placed at the wheel to read it but what he did was to ask for my keyfob placing it at their scanner then telling me my sensors are 315 mghz. Was puzzled by that approach. They guaranteed their new sensors would learn this Crossfire system. Didn't get a price but will and will post back here. Thanked them then drove the car for 10 miles, the TPMS light remained solidly on..

Drove to Mike Riehl's a Roseville Chrysler dealership. I know, I know hang on to your wallet (I did!). Explained to the Service Advisor, Allen Teuscher my ongoing dilemna with the dash light and wanted to know if this dealership had the DRBIII scanner for these red-headed step childs of Chrysler to make the new sensors actually work with the factory module in this car. He said yes and his quote was close to $600.00 with new sensors and their tech making them work. He thought there's no way I should fork out that kind of money (maybe I looked distraught...probably just old [smile]). Now, that's the bad news...but wait there's more, and this was the good news for me. He went back to the tech and borrowed a scanner that what I could see was labeled Daimler-Chrysler TPM 9630. With that tool he first turned the car to run position (engine off) and proceeded to place the nose of that tool against the rim immediately below the valve stem, waited for the tool to display that corner of the car which in turn sent that signal to the TPMS module in the car. Went to the right front, then right rear and finally left rear communicating with each tire sensor that that sensor was on that corner of the car. He then fired the car up. Voila!! NO DASH LIGHT for TPMS. He basically caused a relearn to all 4 corners of the car. This little fact just may help some of you. Understand I do not know just how old the sensors are...tires were changed once in the car's life. I asked him what I owed for this effort. "Nothing! Glad to help you." I'm sure my mentioning new tires down the road might have encouraged him to be kind to me. Nevertheless, drove her home with no TPMS dashlight on. Time will tell.

Now, I know the user (you and I) don't know which wheel triggered the dash light but the car's system does throw a code 8004 + a second code of 8017 (LF,), 8018 (RF), 8019 (RR), and 8020 (LR). Only hook on knowing this detail is you need the DRBIII which would tell you this.

Again my experience today.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire installer? Are those programable/clonable sensors?
Yes tire installer. Yes they do work on two of three cars without needing the dealer or DRBIII

Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
This topic really has me interested.

Here's my recent experience...am the new owner of an '05 SRT6 coupe. When purchased in July (car is an 05/04 [May of 2004] build) car had just under 40K miles. Now has 41,500 miles. About 2 weeks ago my TPMS dash light went on Doesn't blink just turns on right after firing her up. The month prior, to establish a base line with this car, I rotated the wheels right to left. At that time I aired up all 4 tires to 36 lbs. No issues. No TPMS light until 2 weeks ago. Well, I did read here where airing up the tires to 50 lbs turned off the TPMS light. Was tempted to do this, but didn't. Also read where there are 2 types of sensors, 433 mghz and 315 mghz. So today I stopped first at Discount tire to have them air up all 4 tires. Decided with the cold snap here to air them to 38 lbs. Asked them if they could tell me which mghz sensors were on the car. No problem. I expected the tool they had to be placed at the wheel to read it but what he did was to ask for my keyfob placing it at their scanner then telling me my sensors are 315 mghz. Was puzzled by that approach. They guaranteed their new sensors would learn this Crossfire system. Didn't get a price but will and will post back here. Thanked them then drove the car for 10 miles, the TPMS light remained solidly on..
Again my experience today.
The Tire pressure monitor and the door open/close signals are handled by the trans-receiver above the rear view mirror and each operates on the same frequency, so the door open/close signal is the same as your tire pressure sensors.
Edit
I guess it is just a receiver actually.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-18-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks Dave! That explains clearly why they asked and scanned the key fob. You are a wealth of information. Kudos to you!

Regards,

Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
Asked them if they could tell me which mghz sensors were on the car. No problem. I expected the tool they had to be placed at the wheel to read it but what he did was to ask for my keyfob placing it at their scanner then telling me my sensors are 315 mghz. Was puzzled by that approach. They guaranteed their new sensors would learn this Crossfire system.
This is why I posted the TPMS 101 thread. See sig file. The guy has no clue and shouldn't be talking with customers. He will go broke with a guarantee like that.

The dealer did an interesting "fix." They triggered each sensor manually. I wonder if we, you or anyone else could have done this using the speaker magnet trick to trigger them since driving didn't. One might have been stuck "off" or battery cold and low voltage. Are yours original?

I still say the best approach is when you need tires buy the OEM style Schreaders then find a
reasonable dealer to relearn. Mine were $128 for 4 sensors and $25 relearn at dealer.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 10-18-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 PM

The Tire pressure monitor and the door open/close signals are handled by the trans-receiver above the rear view mirror and each operates on the same frequency,

I once thought that too. Check description of the SKREEM in the service manual. Page 8N - 30

Last edited by KDW4Him; 10-18-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Reliableron
Yes tire installer. Yes they do work on two of three cars without needing the dealer or DRBIII
If you are talking about clonable sensors then you are in a different zip code of explanations because the cars computer is fooled by making new sensors the same ID as the old sensors.

The only way the Crossfire relearnes non-clonable TPMS is when the cars computer is put into learn mode. It can only be put into that mode by DRBIII or the new emulator. I have only heard of one other device that might be able to put the module into learn mode but the guy never posted back to confirm it. If you know how a tire shop put the Crossfire into learn mode please post it, we need info like that here.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 10-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 PM

This is why I posted the TPMS 101 thread. See sig file. Interesting...it's clear you have "deep dived" into understanding how these work. The guy has no clue and shouldn't be talking with customers. He will go broke with a guarantee like that. You may be right on this. I'm going to swing by tomorrow and clarify as well as get their price on their sensor AND ask what specific TPMS sensor they will use.

The dealer did an interesting "fix." They triggered each sensor manually. I wonder if we, you or anyone else could have done this using the speaker magnet trick to trigger them since driving didn't. One might have been stuck "off" or battery cold and low voltage. Are yours original? Not certain as I mentioned in my post that tires were changed once...who knows on the sensors. If they are original, think they are on borrowed time...14 years old!

I still say the best approach is when you need tires buy the OEM style Schreaders then find a
reasonable dealer to relearn. Mine were $128 for 4 sensors and $25 relearn at dealer.
Thanks for your insight...stay tuned.

Regards,

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors