CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   NA XF's "Odd" Spoke Wheel (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/51034-na-xfs-odd-spoke-wheel.html)

+fireamx 07-07-2011 12:51 AM

NA XF's "Odd" Spoke Wheel

Does anybody know the reason the back side of just one of the 7 spokes on the front wheels only of the Limited/Base cars, is different from the rest?

Franc Rauscher 07-07-2011 12:53 AM

Re: NA XF's "Odd" Spoke Wheel

:rolleyes: Is this a quiz or a real question?

I never noticed but at one oclock in the morning, I'm not going outside to look.

Unless there is something in it for me.:rolleyes:

+fireamx 07-07-2011 01:33 AM

It's a real question Franc. I noticed the difference today while cleaning the back side of the rim.
I couldn't figure out why there was a different design to just one spoke.
I didn't have the rear wheels off yet, but all the spokes felt the same when I checked.
The difference is at the very bottom of the spoke where it meets the rim.
If you reach around behind it you can easily feel the abnormality with your finger. (Did I just say that?):eek:

jmk41 07-07-2011 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
It's a real question Franc. I noticed the difference today while cleaning the back side of the rim.
I couldn't figure out why there was a different design to just one spoke.
I didn't have the rear wheels off yet, but all the spokes felt the same when I checked.
The difference is at the very bottom of the spoke where it meets the rim.
If you reach around behind it you can easily feel the abnormality with your finger. (Did I just say that?):eek:

Mike i bet its for the TPMS nothing else would make sense unless it has to do with the machine used to cut them and grip them i highly doubt they are a forged wheel so a mold is out of the question.... Could have something to do with balance as well maybe to off set the stem weight? I would have to lean more tward the TPMS tho

dtinker 07-07-2011 07:32 AM

May have something to do with the casting method of the blank? Not having looked at the difference, it could be for the weight change of the TPMS.

+fireamx 07-07-2011 10:52 AM

Thanks guys, it was no big deal but I was just curious.:)

ala_xfire 07-07-2011 05:19 PM

Definatly the TPMS. Can you imagine how many weights would have to be glued to the side opposite the valve stem if the Germans didn't tell the Poles ( the wheels are made in Poland ) to make that spoke thinner to offset the 3-4 ounces that the TPMS weighs ?

ala_xfire 07-07-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Definatly the TPMS. Can you imagine how many weights would have to be glued to the side opposite the valve stem if the Germans didn't tell the Poles ( the wheels are made in Poland ) to make that spoke thinner to offset the 3-4 ounces that the TPMS weighs ?

WAIT - that don't make sense. That spoke would have to be THICKER, not THINNER.
My final conclusion : I ain't got a clue.......

ala_xfire 07-07-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ for the valve stem area.

Now, that make sense. Less weight in the spoke coincident with the TPMS.

andrew 07-07-2011 05:25 PM

~ it is the spoke that housing the valve stem.

andrew 07-07-2011 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by andrew
~ it is the spoke that housing the valve stem.

~ i'm wrong... it must be the weight thing... because it's most likely the spoke at 180 degrees from the valve (not located on a spoke as i thought).

Attachment 44506

dedwards0323 07-07-2011 05:44 PM

I'm sure it has to do with overall balancing of the wheel/tire assembly. Probably to minimze the weight required to balance the assembly.

Back in the "good old days", tires were marked with a yellow dot to indicate the "high spot" of the tire rotational balance. That was suppose to be aligned with the valve stem where the "low spot" was for the wheel. "Best Practice" has all but gone by the wayside nowadays. Partly with the advent of TPMS (which changed the rules); partly because a tire changer at most multi-service shops is the entry level position. You just about have to go to a Discount Tire shop or something similar where all they do is mount tires & wheels. Those guys usually know the optimum geometry for mounting a tire to a wheel. You really want only the minimum weight necessary to balance the tire/wheel assembly.

TomStratRT 07-07-2011 05:46 PM

Too much time on your hands man. ;)

Valk 07-07-2011 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Does anybody know the reason the back side of just one of the 7 spokes on the front wheels only of the Limited/Base cars, is different from the rest?

Seems that the different spoke (bottom) is opposite the valve stem (top)
Here is a pic of a clean spare front for my NA...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...oke-wheel-.jpg

dedwards0323 07-07-2011 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you look at the bottom of the spoke where it mates to the rim, there is extra material along the rim. Most likely to compensate for the TPMS unit at the valve stem opposite this spoke.

onehundred80 07-07-2011 06:00 PM

I knew that it was not April 1st, but I have to wonder how many people are getting their finger tips black from poking around where the sun don't shine.
It is the spoke opposite the TPMS sensor and is therefore to offset the weight of the sensor. My one obviously is way out of balance and has five weights stuck there as well.

dedwards0323 07-07-2011 06:03 PM

Wonder of aftermarket rims are designed this way? Might not be because of not knowing beforehand whether you have TPMS or not.

dedwards0323 07-07-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
Too much time on your hands man. ;)

Tell me about it!! :rolleyes: