Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one?

My ride has been very noisy at slow speeds and when braking and it sounds like bearings. She only has about 30k on her but there is a very noticeable sound almost like when you hear monster truck knobbie tires on the road when driving and braking. When I am on the highway at high speed either I cant hear it because of the roadster top or it just isn't an issue.

Jut wondering if anyone else has had wheel bearings go on their ride so soon. My tires are still pretty new and yes I do have 19's and 20's on her but they really haven't been on there so long that they would have killed the bearings so soon.

Looking to the forum for thoughts, comments, suggestions....

Nate

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one?

Originally Posted by nate_man
My ride has been very noisy at slow speeds and when braking and it sounds like bearings. She only has about 30k on her but there is a very noticeable sound almost like when you hear monster truck knobbie tires on the road when driving and braking. When I am on the highway at high speed either I cant hear it because of the roadster top or it just isn't an issue.

Jut wondering if anyone else has had wheel bearings go on their ride so soon. My tires are still pretty new and yes I do have 19's and 20's on her but they really haven't been on there so long that they would have killed the bearings so soon.

Looking to the forum for thoughts, comments, suggestions....

Nate
Seems a bit early to have that trouble but you never know.
I thought I had a front bearing gone in my 300 last fall, I even got the hub assembly to put on. I put on my winter tires and the noise went.
The tire looked OK no obvious problem, but that was what it was, an interior failure of some kind.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

bearings can go bad on anything. I would be looking into that noise soon. Those who round track their's like Jane have replaced wheel bearings. You would expect that, but 30K is a little soon...but not impossible

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
bearings can go bad on anything. I would be looking into that noise soon. Those who round track their's like Jane have replaced wheel bearings. You would expect that, but 30K is a little soon...but not impossible
Thanks. I will probably have the stealer take a peek.

Just wondered if there may be a fail safe way to diagnose. I noticed a bit more noise as I rounded a few turns today.

Thnx

Nate

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by nate_man
Thanks. I will probably have the stealer take a peek.

Just wondered if there may be a fail safe way to diagnose. I noticed a bit more noise as I rounded a few turns today.

Thnx

Nate
Jack up each wheel one at a time and spin the wheel freely. If you have a bad bearing you should hear it clickity-clack or rumble.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

also turn the wheel to different positions after jacking it up, and check the play by grabbing top and bottom of wheel/tire and pulling pushing, should be VERY LITTLE play ......

Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double post =(

Last edited by jmk41; 04-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alaxfire
also turn the wheel to different positions after jacking it up, and check the play by grabbing top and bottom of wheel/tire and pulling pushing, should be VERY LITTLE play ......
Agreed! That's what they do for state inspections to check them. My front left went at 50500 wheel bearings take a ton of abuse! At that mileage I think it's a tire. Ever hit a pot hole or bump kinda hard recently? low profiles suck ***! It takes little to nothing for a belt to break in the tire check them all over for signs of uneven wear. Tire shops will look them over for free vrs a stealer ship!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Default Re: Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one? Very strange noise

Nate, I am experiencing the exact same problem. Car has 33k, and when you slow to ~20 mph it makes a loud noise similar to bad bearings. When you apply the brakes it is also noisier. It appears related to the wheels turning.

I replaced the front inner and outer bearings and races along with the seals. Seems like only a slight improvement,if at all. I was sure it was the bearings based on the noise and past experiences with other cars, although it occurs usually with higher mileage. The pads and rotors appeared fine.

Nate, did you solve the problem?

(note: we recently bought the car for my wife)

Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 15psi
Nate, I am experiencing the exact same problem. Car has 33k, and when you slow to ~20 mph it makes a loud noise similar to bad bearings. When you apply the brakes it is also noisier. It appears related to the wheels turning.

I replaced the front inner and outer bearings and races along with the seals. Seems like only a slight improvement,if at all. I was sure it was the bearings based on the noise and past experiences with other cars, although it occurs usually with higher mileage. The pads and rotors appeared fine.

Nate, did you solve the problem?

(note: we recently bought the car for my wife)
Mine does the same and after asking questions here and inspecting the tires I have come to the conclusion that it is the wear pattern on the tire treads. The individual tread blocks taper from front to back.
The new tires should prove this next week, or not.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My vote is tires, been there done that with my Goodyears F1 AS ...

With my Michelin Pilot Sport tires approaching 20,000 miles, I am beginning to hear them now. And the tread looks good yet.

Last edited by James1549; 07-11-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Mine does the same and after asking questions here and inspecting the tires I have come to the conclusion that it is the wear pattern on the tire treads. The individual tread blocks taper from front to back.
The new tires should prove this next week, or not.

I think that OneHundred80 is on to something here. I was originally convinced it was my bearings however I took it to my good friend a genius mechanic and he said it was clearly the tires. My tires were chopping a bit in the wear pattern and I had the car aligned to at a minimum reduce further chop but the noise I think is the tires. Funny thing is that there is only about 10k on these tires and I hate the noise.

I noticed one thing that has led me more to the conclusion that my tires may be the problem and that is the fact that on a wet road the noise almost disappears. I had been driving through some spotty rain areas where the was both wet and dry pavement and it was quite a noticeable difference.

That being said the jury was sill out on whether it was definitively the tires until 15psi gave me an update on his bearing replacement approach. Now I am leaning more to the tires vs the bearings.

Right now I am driving with the noise until i decide to buy some new tires, but the noise definitely increases when breaking, however at highway speeds it does not appear to be an issue. This has been confusing to say the least as it almost feels as if there is a grinding when braking but I am now more convinced that it is in my head and these tires are just noisy given the chop. I have 19s up front and Falkens on the rims. These wheels to have a wide footprint and thus a possible contribution to the noisy chopped front tires.

Jury still deliberating, but I think that they are nearing a verdict - Tires!

Has anyone had chopping on their front tires? My alignment stats didn't seem to be to out of whack when I looked at the dealer update when completed so I am not sure why the chop on my outer and inner treads for the front tires.

Thanks

Nate

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

I have Goodyear F1 AS, and based on further research, they are problem tires. There was a silent recall on them in 2010 for excessive noise.

After talking with '180' yesterday, I went out and checked the tire tread, and sure enough the driver side front tire is quite cupped. Unusual pattern. I'm sure that is the noise.

I'll replace the tires today or tomorrow.

Is Goodyear standing behind these tires or SOL?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM

All the tires with aggressive "blocky" thread that I have had on several cars start making noise after 10,000 miles or so. If it is a good "rain tire" it is probably going to get noisy. We have a local shop here that trues, then balances tires right on the car. It is just like having a new blade in your Razor! Great! The reason for the tapered wear in the tread block is they act somewhat like a catipillar track. When a block hits the pavement it hits and wears the leading edge first. The tapered blocks become air pumps and start to whine. Most noticable on jacked up four wheel drive trucks with off road rubber. Most "cupping" is due to out of balance and/or bad shock absorbers.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

When I had my problems, Goodyear and it's dealers knew nothing about the issues. But TireRack did and they gave me new Michilens for free replacements. TireRack and Goodyear had an agreement between them. Local dealers told me that couldn't be so, but it was.

Read here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lacements.html

James

Originally Posted by 15psi
I have Goodyear F1 AS, and based on further research, they are problem tires. There was a silent recall on them in 2010 for excessive noise.

Is Goodyear standing behind these tires or SOL?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM

UPDATE:

I just had new tires put on the front, to replace the Goodyear F1's. Remember that one tire was pretty cupped, but you didn't see it til you looked closely or felt it.

The new tires fixed the noise completely! And they rideis much better. Less jarring. But we asked to have ther rears balanced and they noticed that the rear side wall on the diriver side was ballooned and separating. This explains the vibration from the back, on the highway. Ordered new rears...

I asked the tire store what would cause the cupping. He said that because you can not rotate these tires, the cupping can start and only get worse. The tires I bought are all season and can be swapped side to side.

I am still amazed that the noise could be a tire rather than bearing or brakes. But glad the tires fixed the problem. Wife is now happy with her new car!

Thanks again for all the great assitance everyone - Fantastic Forum!!!

Jim

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the front tire noise too! The Nitto Invos stock size are almost done at the outiside cornering points from a small negative aligment. Anyways I can hear the car rolling, it does not sound mechanicaly bad its just road noise and maybe the bearings rolling motion (small dragging noise?). Its not worse during braking. I got two new Nitto NeoGen to put on this week or so and they will match the back tires. My milieage is 45k on the 2004 limited with Stern wheels. Tire or Bearings? Thx!

discount tire direct Nitto Neogen 225/40/18 I think was $118 each

Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM

After I had my '05 SRT-6 Roadster dropped 1", the shop did a complete alignment. He told me he could not bring the camber in and I had to find some new camber hardware and bring it back. Well, I do not drive it much (only 44,000 on it). Sure enough, after about 3,000 miles I started feeling the slight bumping in the front end. I checked the tires and they were starting to cup on the inside ("hills and valleys"). Now I need to find camber kits. Anyone know who has the beat deal? Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by psuperti
I got the front tire noise too! The Nitto Invos stock size are almost done at the outiside cornering points from a small negative aligment. Anyways I can hear the car rolling, it does not sound mechanicaly bad its just road noise and maybe the bearings rolling motion (small dragging noise?). Its not worse during braking. I got two new Nitto NeoGen to put on this week or so and they will match the back tires. My milieage is 45k on the 2004 limited with Stern wheels. Tire or Bearings? Thx!

discount tire direct Nitto Neogen 225/40/18 I think was $118 each
I'd bet tire noise, my old front Michelin AS tires took on a wear pattern which had each block of tread worn down more at the back of each block, like a saw tooth pattern. At about 20mph it was heard as a bearing type noise, above that speed I guess it was one roar. New tires fitted and the noise was gone.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! yeah it was the front tires easy fix! Now even though I got on similart brand tires and they were the same size I have lots of vibration over 60 mph. What could that be? Maybe the negative camber... or he workers picked up the car the wrong way?

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings gone bad on any one?