CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Achilles ATR Sports W rated (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/57293-achilles-atr-sports-w-rated.html)

Chris L. 08-01-2012 04:05 PM

Achilles ATR Sports W rated

So, after 27 months (40,000 miles) I got bored today & decided to replace the Achilles ATR Sports that I had on the front of the 07. They still had 3-4 32nds left in the middle of the tire & 2 or so on the outer treads.
They were starting to make a little noise.

I replaced them with the same tire. After paying for the mount & balance at NTB....the guy said let me show you something......we went into the garage & the inner sidewalls of both tires had multiple big long splits...my life kinda flashed before my eyes. I had taken the car up to 120+ a few times with these tires..hit about 100 several times / week.....

Any idea why the inner sidewalls would split with zero evidence on the outer sidewalls?

Maybe I'll just run this second set 35,000 miles ....& keep my eye on the inside walls.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...s/Fred_005.JPG

Adrian_X 08-01-2012 04:24 PM

Re: Achilles ATR Sports W rated

I just cringed a little when I read that. I regularly take my fire on the highway and cruise with my buddies around 100/120, now you got me checking my inner tire walls.

Chris L. 08-01-2012 04:33 PM

Actually, now that I think about it....when the tires were fully inflated on the rims a person probably couldn't have even seen the cracks. Even deflated-unmounted you had to bend-flex the sidewalls to see them. Maybe it was just the outer rubber...(obviously) as even recently I had taken decreasing radius exit ramps at HIGH speed.....? Probably the reinforced sidewall material was fully intact????

Adrian_X 08-01-2012 04:46 PM

Just checked mine, and I dont see any cracks from a visual inspection. Maybe it is only the outer layer of the sidewall that you saw cracked. Really hope so hahah, because I enjoy taking the car up to speed so to say.

Chris L. 08-01-2012 05:02 PM

Are you running Achilles ATR Sports?

I have to say I was 100% sold on this tire (after 40,000 miles ) till I saw those cracks ....which may in reality have been cosmetic only...

Adrian_X 08-01-2012 05:48 PM

On the rear yes I am, unfortunately I had to replace the fronts after getting a flat on one side which wasnt fixable.

Chris L. 08-01-2012 08:04 PM

Have you ever driven the vehicle in the snow with ATRs on the rear? If so, how did they perform?

I bought 2 pairs of 19 inch Blizzaks (LM-25s) when Tire Rack was dumping them for $100.....I've put 33,000 miles on the first set running them year round.....still have 5 32nds left......with the Blizzaks on the rear & ATRs on the front I've gotten through miles of 6-8 inch unplowed snow.

Adrian_X 08-01-2012 11:22 PM

Well, I have to be incremental with the gas pedal here in chicago during winter hahaha. It isnt bad though, you get used to it.
My rears do need replacing though, because the damn camber setting wears out the insides faster than the outsides. It really sucks because I dont have the cash to both replace the tires AND buy rear camber adjusting arms. :\

musicnsurf 08-13-2012 10:54 PM

Adrian X, at the end of the day, just save up your coin and buy some Michelin Pilot Sports. Then dial everything in. Otherwise, where you live in freezing Obamaland, get safe cheapies until you can do the winter/summer change out like many here do where it snows. My Crossfires hate anything under 40 degrees. I kiss the cars ****s (well, the ironing board...if that counts) to make them happy.

Adrian_X 08-14-2012 11:42 PM

I just managed to score some Hankook Ventus V12 tires for the rear. They should work out better for the upcoming months.

musicnsurf 08-15-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X (Post 691093)
I just managed to score some Hankook Ventus V12 tires for the rear. They should work out better for the upcoming months.

Good news. They'll work fine.

Adrian_X 08-16-2012 12:11 AM

Yeah, I heard from some members here that they provide a very good ride with the benefit of great traction. I love the look of them too when you look at the car from behind.