Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

DIY Rear Cambers

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: DIY Rear Cambers

Originally Posted by reiji
I'm starting to hear a little bit of squeaking again, but not nearly as bad.
Are there some kind of washers that would maybe help? It seems to me like the bushings in these bar-ends just aren't so great.
Spray Krown T40 on the heim joints

Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhmercracer
Here is how i prevented the squeaks.

The Speedway bushings are 1/2 inch internally. The Crossfire uses 12mm bolts for the upper arm. This makes for a sloppy fit when you try to bolt everything up. I purchased four 1/2 inch bolts in the appropriate length. Also, i found eight thin 1/2 inch stainless fender washers. They need to be thin, to allow them to fit between the inner bushing and the mounting tabs. Going to 1/2 inch removes the slop in the system. Also, you will need marine grease. The brand i used is called "Green Grease". When you re-install the joints, use the marine grease in the joint. Remove the bushing, and coat both the bushing and the inner bore of the bushing. Lube the one side of two of the washers, and reinstall in the inner mount. This will tighten the bushing in the mounts, and force the joint to rotate on the busing, not the bushing rotating on the bolt.

The outer bushing needs two stainless washers also. Grease the same way, and reuse the large three pointed washer. This washer prevents the arm from falling off if the bushing fails

The inner mounts can be drilled out with a step drill bit with a need drive, and a flexible drive extension. I'll post pics later. The outer mount can be drilled with either a long drill bit, or a standard 1/2 inch bit and a right angle drill.

I'll post the pics i have, and update this post soon.

Pics would be appreciated. What you say makes sense though. I believe the bushings are actually spinning in the bar end and making noise because they're not lubricated.

Originally Posted by turbomar
Spray Krown T40 on the heim joints
Are we talking about the same camber bars? I'm using the ones from this thread and they don't have a heim joint on either end.
My sway bar links have a heim at the top end, but they're not making any noise.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Not a Heim or rose joint, but still a rod end.

Here are pics of how I drilled out the inner mount for 1/2 inch bolts.

I reversed the arrangement to do the other side of the mount. Everything is 1/4 hex drive, including the step bit. I had the flex drive, but had to purchase the bit. I spent money for a good one at the local hardware store. The driver is nothing but an electric screwdriver. I added a little lube, and let the bit work slowly.

I don't have a pic of the washers, but they are 1/2 stainless fender washers. I brought a caliper, and found the thinnest washers.

Installed:

I don't have a picture of drilling out the outboard mounting hole unfortunately. I used a short 1/2 bit, and an angle drill. I also used a drill guide.

The washers were a slip fit in the inner tabs. They went in with a slight press with a wooden stick. I would call the fit similar to the stock parts. The bolts tightened up nice after assembly. No noise at all with the green grease.

Last edited by nhmercracer; 09-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:06 PM

ttt.

Pics finally.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by nhmercracer
Here is how i prevented the squeaks.

The Speedway bushings are 1/2 inch internally. The Crossfire uses 12mm bolts for the upper arm. This makes for a sloppy fit when you try to bolt everything up. I purchased four 1/2 inch bolts in the appropriate length. Also, i found eight thin 1/2 inch stainless fender washers. They need to be thin, to allow them to fit between the inner bushing and the mounting tabs. Going to 1/2 inch removes the slop in the system. Also, you will need marine grease. The brand i used is called "Green Grease". When you re-install the joints, use the marine grease in the joint. Remove the bushing, and coat both the bushing and the inner bore of the bushing. Lube the one side of two of the washers, and reinstall in the inner mount. This will tighten the bushing in the mounts, and force the joint to rotate on the busing, not the bushing rotating on the bolt.

The outer bushing needs two stainless washers also. Grease the same way, and reuse the large three pointed washer. This washer prevents the arm from falling off if the bushing fails

The inner mounts can be drilled out with a step drill bit with a need drive, and a flexible drive extension. I'll post pics later. The outer mount can be drilled with either a long drill bit, or a standard 1/2 inch bit and a right angle drill.

I'll post the pics i have, and update this post soon.

I have MikeR rear adjustable camber and sway bar links. Great product but bad squeaking. Thanks for sharing your solution

Last edited by JesseJamessrt6; 09-16-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Just got all my parts... Anybody know the length of the new 1/2" bolts??

I live in a small town and would be easiest to have the bolts bought ahead of time....

Thanks

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dayjor
Just got all my parts... Anybody know the length of the new 1/2" bolts??

I live in a small town and would be easiest to have the bolts bought ahead of time....

Thanks
Replied to your pm. I'll post here if I can get the lengths (My butt under the car).

Old 11-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Stock inner bolt is approximately 2 1/4 inches long. So buy 1/2 by 2 1/2 length fine thread washers, and a locknut.

Stock outer bolt is approximately 3 inches long. So 1/2 by three inches should do.

These length DO NOT include the bolt head. Measurements are of the bolt shank only. This is the way they are commonly spec'd.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Thank you so much for the time and info.....

Appreciate it!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
Just had the Konis installed (Thanx Rob for the Black Friday Deal!)

Still, I'm a little leary about using SS threads and rods. I've stripped way too many threads in the shop as SS still seems too soft and gummy for my liking.

MikeS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoyed the thread - great info. I plan to build some adjustable links myself with all the info in this thread.

However, I do wonder what alloy SS you've been using. I am not a metallurgist, but carbon steels and SS come a large variety of alloys. The SS we normally use in our automotive work is anything but "soft and gummy". In fact, it is dang HARD. The SS bolts, flanges etc on stock exhaust systems are way harder than carbon steel. Try cutting those fool things with a hack saw. Have to use a zip wheel as it dulls the teeth on the hacksaw blade. We used all SS rod ends, bolts etc on our formula ford cars back in the day when I actually drove one of those things.

Last edited by hpmotors; 12-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hpmotors
However, I do wonder what alloy SS you've been using. I am not a metallurgist, but carbon steels and SS come a large variety of alloys. The SS we normally use in our automotive work is anything but "soft and gummy". In fact, it is dang HARD. The SS bolts, flanges etc on stock exhaust systems are way harder than carbon steel. Try cutting those fool things with a hack saw. Have to use a zip wheel as it dulls the teeth on the hacksaw blade. We used all SS rod ends, bolts etc on our formula ford cars back in the day when I actually drove one of those things.
I was referring to the common 304 SS bolts. 316 SS is alot harder. You've probably used the 400 series SS for exhaust systems which are even harder. But for ultimate SS hardness the 15-5PH and 17-4 PH are a real mother to machine. 440C may be slightly harder and is used for bearing applications. It has high surface hardness, but low ductility and fracture toughness. ATI S240 in the H950 will give you a hardness of 48-50HRc and a YS of about 230ksi. The advantage it has over 440C is that it is a high-strength PH grade (similar to 17-4ph) so it maintains toughness (10% elongation).

Non-magnetic and strong SS is a short list. We use A-286. You can get 1300 MPa yield, 1400 MPa tensile. It's the only precipitation hardened austenitic, essentially an iron-base superalloy.

And don't forget Inconel. Very difficult metal to shape and machine using traditional techniques due to rapid work hardening!

Last edited by syfi; 07-03-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Yep - lots of different alloys in both carbon and SS.
Funny you should mention Inconel. Just bought 8 studs for some turbo installations. $20 each! That X-15 pedigree probably drives up the cost!

Last edited by hpmotors; 01-01-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by hpmotors
Yep - lots of different alloys in both carbon and SS.
Funny you should mention Inconel. Just bought 8 studs for some turbo installations. $20 each! That X-15 pedigree probably drives up the cost!
Inconel predates the X-15, it was developed in the UK for the Whittle jet engine in the 1940's.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Hi guys,
This might be a dumb question... Once the parts are all here..how do I put them together? I know I know... Is it one end with LH and the other with RH? Or are they dependent on the side of the car they will be on? Ex: one set all LH and the other set all RH. Seriously...I have the parts in the online cart. I'm doing this =)

Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM

From what I remember there is only one way to thread them into the tube. One set of threads on the end of the tube is for LH and the other set of threads is for RH. The idea is that once both ends are threaded into the tube you should be able to hold the ends tight, rotate the tube and the ends will either come closer together or drift further apart.
Make sure you install the lock nuts between the tube and the ends so you can lock them down when adjusted properly.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM

What about the fronts, is this the same solution?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Timesnow
What about the fronts, is this the same solution?
Nope... Fronts only require the install of the eccentric alignment bolts. You'll need 4 ea for the front. One for caster and one for camber on driver side front and same for passenger side front. The aftermarket/OEM eccentric bolts will allow +/-1.5 degree adjustment which should be plenty to get you in spec. The part number for one bolt is: 2023300118. The Febi-Bilsteins are essentially the same bolts as the OEM Mercedes eccentrics. The Febi ones I got from AutohauzAZ were stamped with DYTSA which is a well respected vehicle bolt mfg. You're better off sticking with the Febi price wise.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Update 6/29/2019: Another supplier... FCP Euro
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/merc...kit-2023300118

Last edited by syfi; 06-29-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Re: DIY Rear Cambers

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all57162
Summit seems to be out of the gold rod, there is a link to the same thing in black on above URL.
James1549 said 12 inches is a good ballpark to be rid of the excess negative camber. The rod is listed as being 9.0 inches long, is the other 3 inches (1.5 in per end) of installed length coming from the exposed threads of the 2 rod ends? That seems like a lot.
How long is the threaded part of the rod end? Hopefully there's plenty inside the tube. Would 10 inches tubes be more suitable? Summit lists those also.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all57162
Summit seems to be out of the gold rod, there is a link to the same thing in black on above URL.
James1549 said 12 inches is a good ballpark to be rid of the excess negative camber. The rod is listed as being 9.0 inches long, is the other 3 inches (1.5 in per end) of installed length coming from the exposed threads of the 2 rod ends? That seems like a lot.
How long is the threaded part of the rod end? Hopefully there's plenty inside the tube. Would 10 inches tubes be more suitable? Summit lists those also.
Length of the threaded shank on the 4 bar end is 1-7/8". Add to the 9" tube the distance from middle of bolt hole to start of threaded shank and you have best spacing for adjustments around 12" distance. The 9" tube is perfect when both rod ends are installed. 10" is asking for trouble as there is probably over an inch from the center of bolt hole to the top of the shank shaft, meaning you'll not be able to adjust below 12". 8" tubes leave too much thread exposure. You want the shank to thread in all the way till the tube bottoms out on both ends then back each out till 12" bolt hole to bolt hole is met.
Let's put it this way...9" tube w/ both rod ends screwed all the way in will give around 11-1/4", so 12" will expose maybe 3/8" of threaded shank on each end. So yes, most of the threaded shank is in the tube.
Price for the same mfg rod I quoted from EastCoastSpeed is cheaper w/ free shipping.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM

I am ordering all the pieces right now. But they are out of stock on gold steel rods so I will try to find them from a different source...
Thank you for the info!!!

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Cambers