CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Need help with a rear driver side suspension squeak AND a question about SRT6 brakes (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/59796-need-help-rear-driver-side-suspension-squeak-question-about-srt6-brakes.html)

Kolme 01-23-2013 12:20 AM

Need help with a rear driver side suspension squeak AND a question about SRT6 brakes

Ok, first is the squeak issue. Over the past couple of months, a progressive squeak has formed around the rear driver side wheel. The squeak now occurs when driving with minimal to light bumps and is absent with harder bumps. When parked, the squeak can be reproduced by applying a moderate amount of force on the rear driver side of the car. I checked to ensure that the parking brake had nothing to do with the squeak (as noted in other threads). Overall, the squeak sounds terrible and i cant take it anymore!! ahhh!! So if anyone has some insight on this issue for our cars, please let me know (especially if you have any advice with a low budget attached, just spent a little under 2 grand on the car this winter due to an unlucky radiator resevoir leak, accident, and Skreem module malfunction).

Second, I need a little help in making sure I have the right front brakes for my car (2005 SRT6). Using partstrain.com I found both my rotors (which i know are correct due to the specs) and my brakes (what im a little worried about).... The brakes I bought are Akebono EUR682. Akebono EUR682 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set : Amazon.com : Automotive. I'm a superrr novice when it comes to brakes (and most things it seems), and noticed these brakes have a "two prong" bracket on the back of them as opposed to "one pronged" brackets. Soooo, did I make a goof in trusting partstrain.com or am I spazing over nothing?

Thanks tons for your help, these issues have added on additional stress to an already stressful month :(

onehundred80 01-23-2013 07:25 AM

Re: Need help with a rear driver side suspension squeak AND a question about SRT6 bra

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kolme (Post 720221)
Ok, first is the squeak issue. Over the past couple of months, a progressive squeak has formed around the rear driver side wheel. The squeak now occurs when driving with minimal to light bumps and is absent with harder bumps. When parked, the squeak can be reproduced by applying a moderate amount of force on the rear driver side of the car. I checked to ensure that the parking brake had nothing to do with the squeak (as noted in other threads). Overall, the squeak sounds terrible and i cant take it anymore!! ahhh!! So if anyone has some insight on this issue for our cars, please let me know (especially if you have any advice with a low budget attached, just spent a little under 2 grand on the car this winter due to an unlucky radiator resevoir leak, accident, and Skreem module malfunction).

Second, I need a little help in making sure I have the right front brakes for my car (2005 SRT6). Using partstrain.com I found both my rotors (which i know are correct due to the specs) and my brakes (what im a little worried about).... The brakes I bought are Akebono EUR682. Akebono EUR682 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set : Amazon.com : Automotive. I'm a superrr novice when it comes to brakes (and most things it seems), and noticed these brakes have a "two prong" bracket on the back of them as opposed to "one pronged" brackets. Soooo, did I make a goof in trusting partstrain.com or am I spazing over nothing?

Thanks tons for your help, these issues have added on additional stress to an already stressful month :(

The noise could be the rear stabilizer in the bushings. There is a lot of stuff moving around back there though. It's best you get a friend help you pin point the problem.

Here is a pad for the SRT6, I have Akebonos and they are OK pads with little dust.
This is not an Akebono pad though.

ala_xfire 01-23-2013 07:38 AM

Re: Need help with a rear driver side suspension squeak AND a question about SRT6 bra

Trust Dave to post a picture of a brake pad "Made in Canada" ;)

and as to the squeak, spray some WD40 on the stabilizer bushing, if it goes away, that's the problem.
( THIS IS NOT A FIX, it's a diagnostic )

Kolme 01-23-2013 08:07 AM

Hey guys,

Thank you both for your help! I will try spraying the rear stabilizer bushing with some wd40 as described to see if it is indeed the problem! Thank you both for pinpointing it as a possible hotspot for the squeaks!! I will post back later with my findings.

Onehundred, thank you for the brake pad picture!!! that is EXACTLY what I needed!!! thank you thank you thank you!! Now I can finally get these things installed. Hopefully they arent tooooo bad of pads, although anything with less dust is a plus haha.

(also just realized that pretty sweet link in ya'lls signatures... *adds to favorites*....)

Kolme

onehundred80 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 720240)
Trust Dave to post a picture of a brake pad "Made in Canada" ;)

and as to the squeak, spray some WD40 on the stabilizer bushing, if it goes away, that's the problem.
( THIS IS NOT A FIX, it's a diagnostic )

Some of your best known pads are made in Canada, or Fabrique au Canada as we say to satisfy the language police in one Province.
These pads are 100% asbestos free, not like most of the Chinese and off shore makes. These pads are made in Ontario at one plant and boxed for different brands. I am assured that the formulation of the pad shown in the photo is the same as Rotex Gold, for 1/2 the cost of Rotex.
This has been mentioned before a few times.
Google `Rotex Canada'

Kolme 01-26-2013 10:07 AM

Update::::
Well I finally got around to heading to Walmart and picking up some lubricant. Before appling it to the rear stabilizer bushing I decided to give my shocks a little bit of a spray out of curiosity. I pressed down on the car and got no squeak. I then drove it for about 10 miles or so, without any squeak from the rear... Soooo im guessing it was actually my shock absorber causing the issue....

However that leads me to my next question, why is the shock absorber doing this and what needs to be done? I tried to examine it for any cracks etc, but didnt see anything of that sort. I did notice that the shock did have an area which looked like it was chaffing or "bare" with a dried up greasy look... (Ill take some pictures tonight after studying for physio).

Thanks in advance, and ill reply back later with pictures.

Kolme

onehundred80 01-26-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kolme (Post 720790)
Update::::
Well I finally got around to heading to Walmart and picking up some lubricant. Before appling it to the rear stabilizer bushing I decided to give my shocks a little bit of a spray out of curiosity. I pressed down on the car and got no squeak. I then drove it for about 10 miles or so, without any squeak from the rear... Soooo im guessing it was actually my shock absorber causing the issue....

However that leads me to my next question, why is the shock absorber doing this and what needs to be done? I tried to examine it for any cracks etc, but didnt see anything of that sort. I did notice that the shock did have an area which looked like it was chaffing or "bare" with a dried up greasy look... (Ill take some pictures tonight after studying for physio).

Thanks in advance, and ill reply back later with pictures.

Kolme

There is a plastic cover that goes over the shock piston rod and it protects the rod from dirt, it does not have much clearance inside and it can rub the outside of the shock cylinder. The rubbing occurs about 9" to 10" from the bottom bolt.

Kolme 01-26-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 720793)
There is a plastic cover that goes over the shock piston rod and it protects the rod from dirt, it does not have much clearance inside and it can rub the outside of the shock cylinder. The rubbing occurs about 9" to 10" from the bottom bolt.

Ahhh ok!!! So perhaps its just a little bit of a clearance issue (i hope so!) Thanks Onehundred for the reply.

nelson 11-06-2014 01:17 PM

I am having the same issue and have WD40 every thing at the suspesion wirh no help.
Now i am also hearing alot of tire noise in the car.

What would i need to replace.

oledoc2u 11-06-2014 08:18 PM

make sure your shock mount at the top is not cracked and pulling away from the car.....

X-fired 05-20-2015 07:57 PM

Was there a resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same croaky squeak in my rear end.

Kolme 05-20-2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by X-fired (Post 836612)
Was there a resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same croaky squeak in my rear end.

Hey x-fired! So in my case the plastic housing around the rear driver side shock absorber has become shifted or perhaps caught and is therefore rubbing on the shock everytime I hit a bump. For me it was been easily eliminated using a bit of silicone lubricant spray where the plastic housing touches the shock. It always returns about 4months later but a quick spray fixes it for another 1/3yr.
I hope this helps!

X-fired 01-31-2016 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by X-fired (Post 836612)

I wanted to follow up that when I took my Crossfire in to my independent Mercedes shop, the only thing he could find was that my left rear shock was wet with fluid so he suggested replacing the rear pair. I ended up replacing all four corners with KYB and not only did the creak go away, my car was transformed! All the wallowing and crashing (which I didn't think was that bad) disappeared and the handling tightened up. Made me realize I could have done that a few years ago. Sweet.

My Zeuse 10-06-2016 10:03 AM

Same problem ...but they thought my router was rubbing...so the smoothed it out...nope not it and brakes are fine,so your saying it's the shocks....????

X-fired 10-19-2016 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by My Zeuse (Post 875476)
Same problem ...but they thought my router was rubbing...so the smoothed it out...nope not it and brakes are fine,so your saying it's the shocks....????

I can't say what your problem was but mine was definitely sorted out with shocks. And, if you've got a lot of miles on the originals, you might be happy you replaced them anyway.

JoeP 04-12-2017 11:45 PM

What are some reasonably priced shocks for the limited? Thanks.

ala_xfire 04-13-2017 06:09 AM

KYB's on RockAuto, $213 all in for a set of 4.
Ordered mine yesterday.

maxcichon 04-13-2017 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 885210)
Ordered mine yesterday.

LOL!

Talk about timing....

And don't forget the Rebate! $40 for a set of 4.....;)

JoeP 04-13-2017 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 885210)
Ordered mine yesterday.

Huge thanks and see you next Saturday 22 April. Lots of questions. Roll Tide.

JoeP 04-13-2017 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 885211)
LOL!

Talk about timing....

And don't forget the Rebate! $40 for a set of 4.....;)

Huge thanks to the forum family and the pioneers that have and are making it easier for us late arrivals to enjoy our rides.