CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Where to get Front Coil Springs HELP! (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/60432-where-get-front-coil-springs-help.html)

misternil 03-06-2013 09:37 PM

Where to get Front Coil Springs HELP!

I live in Western MA and have a 2005 Coupe. My right front coil spring broke and I cannot seem to get replacements. Even my mechanic has been running into back orders on the thing for a month or more from his suppliers. Any idea where I could order a pair (with the insulator and support)??

Alternately, what Mercedes' part would be the proper substitution?

Any and all help is appreciated! Being without my daily driver is a pain....

maxcichon 03-07-2013 11:41 AM

Re: Where to get Front Coil Springs HELP!

I have a pair, cleaned up even, sitting 10 feet from me.

PM me an offer?

onehundred80 03-07-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 728091)
I have a pair, cleaned up even, sitting 10 feet from me.

PM me an offer?

Can't go wrong here, the OP can spring for these springs before spring has sprung.

ala_xfire 03-07-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 728096)
Can't go wrong here, the OP can spring for these springs before spring has sprung.

And he can then spring on over to the Scotch Whiskey thread and get a spring back in his step ...

maxcichon 03-07-2013 12:02 PM

Scotch does many things to me, but that is not one of them.

maxcichon 03-07-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 728096)

Still snowbound, I see. Go take your meds, now. That's a good geezer...:p

Mrmiata 03-07-2013 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 728105)
Still snowbound, I see. Go take your meds, now. That's a good geezer...:p

Ouch.. hope no one with AARP see's this.. you gonna get letters!

maxcichon 03-07-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata (Post 728111)
Ouch.. hope no one with AARP see's this.. you gonna get letters!

I'm a member! So there!

rayth 03-07-2013 03:05 PM

My Crossfire is also currently in Western MA, just tucked away in a garage

WHski 10-14-2014 12:23 PM

Okay me too. I just got back from getting my car inspected only to be told that BOTH front springs were broken and they wouldn't pass it. They didn't buy my explanation of it being the low cost lowering procedure. So as for the start of this thread previously, anyone have the Mercedes numbers that would work for a 2004 N/A? My front springs have two red dots. The garage tried the Chrysler folks and were sent to Mercedes, but haven't heard back from them...

ala_xfire 10-14-2014 02:37 PM

There are tons of them on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
for Crossfires
look under "coil/air spring"

dinasrt 10-18-2014 02:59 PM

You could also get ride height adjustable springs from here Ground Control Suspension Systems if you were so inclined.

RED DOG 10-19-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by WHski (Post 815383)
Okay me too. I just got back from getting my car inspected only to be told that BOTH front springs were broken and they wouldn't pass it. They didn't buy my explanation of it being the low cost lowering procedure. So as for the start of this thread previously, anyone have the Mercedes numbers that would work for a 2004 N/A? My front springs have two red dots. The garage tried the Chrysler folks and were sent to Mercedes, but haven't heard back from them...

I presume about 1/2 coil broke off at the lower end of the spring, right? I suspect this will be a common problem as the Crossfire fleet ages . . . I think if you buy a pair of used springs they will have a similar area of rust in that same lower coil area and they will eventually fail too.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...ps5ab18bac.jpg http://www.tcpglobal.com/Truck-Bed-C...pray-image.jpg

You could simply remove those springs, clean up the broken end area with a grinder and paint it (I suggest Duplicolor truck bed liner spray to re-seal the entire bottom coil of the spring). Then reinstall the springs. You should pass inspection and no expense except for some labor and less than $15.00 for the paint. Let us know how you make out . . .

32krazy! 10-19-2014 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by WHski (Post 815383)

i have a set front and rear slk32 springs that would work. these are factory m/b eibach springs 150$ plus shipping

WHski 10-19-2014 10:02 PM

Thanks folks for the help. I did end up getting a set of used springs thru car-parts.com with 44k on them, they arrived on Friday. I think the reason so many of these are failing is they stamped, I would guess a part number. in the last coil and I feel that is setting up a stress area.

Thanks too for the offer of the slk front and rears, if I didn't already have the others in my hands i would have bought those for sure. I thought of just grinding off the last coil end, but was concerned that the ride height/camber will have changed, and my camber had been borderline on the last alignment. My hope is the old springs were weakened and these "newer" ones will put me back into spec. Hope to install them later in the week.
You guys are always a great help!