CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Tire Discounters & TPMS (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/67323-tire-discounters-tpms.html)

James1549 04-07-2014 10:23 PM

Tire Discounters & TPMS

I am going to replace the rear tires before I head to CAA this summer. My plan is TireRack and a local shop to mount and balance.

Today I happened to get a red light, stopped, sitting in front of a Tire Discount Store. So what the heck, stop in and see what they have to offer for rear tires. Most brand tires I priced were anywhere from $75 to $90 more per tire, but that does include mounting and balancing. I asked if that included TPMS service kits for the sensors. They told me they no longer service them and won't touch them unless they need to be replaced. I asked what if they are leaking but the sensor is still good. They claim they must be replaced at around $100 a piece if they are leaking around the seal.

Needless to say they won't be getting my business.

James

Osofast2 04-07-2014 11:45 PM

Re: Tire Discounters & TPMS

Tire Rack here I come , LOL , need fronts after Dragon , TPMS I got of Ebay for the corvette NTB put them on , were glad to do it for me , but rebuilt kit should not cost more then 18-20 Dollars tire ,

Larry Hitze 04-08-2014 10:04 PM

Speaking of TPMS I just got educated yesterday on these things. My daughters VW Routan (Chrysler Town and Country in disguise) tire was low so I went to put air in it. The chrome metal cap was stuck on so I used a tool to try and remove it. The valve stem twisted off in half right at the bottom of the threads. I didn't know but the valve stem was aluminum so corrosion ruined it. Three of them were this way and we got off cheap at 205 dollars. Moral of the story only use plastic caps on the TPMS valve stems.

Padgett 04-08-2014 10:15 PM

Spent five years in Michigan and Indiana while going to GMI. Part of the reason I live "where rust must be imported".

SparkieSRT6 04-09-2014 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze (Post 791295)
Speaking of TPMS I just got educated yesterday on these things. My daughters VW Routan (Chrysler Town and Country in disguise) tire was low so I went to put air in it. The chrome metal cap was stuck on so I used a tool to try and remove it. The valve stem twisted off in half right at the bottom of the threads. I didn't know but the valve stem was aluminum so corrosion ruined it. Three of them were this way and we got off cheap at 205 dollars. Moral of the story only use plastic caps on the TPMS valve stems.

or Aluminum caps.

James1549 04-09-2014 01:48 PM

I changed to plastic silver caps the first day I owned the car to prevent that. But aluminum caps with a touch of anti-seize should work just as well. James

Mrmiata 04-09-2014 07:29 PM

I bought some Ebay stainless steel with Mercedes logo's.. haven't had an issue... Did have to pry-cut mutilate those Dice ones off the wife's Tahoe though..(aluminum)