Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Continental sport tires originals

Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Continental sport tires originals

My crossfire has 13 k and the tires are the originals from 2007, they still have 7/32 out of 10, but I feel poor traction and the rear a little too light compared to the Michelin PS2 I had in my older crossfire. I guess I should replace them no matter what since they already have 10 years. Opinions?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Continental sport tires originals

Originally Posted by Giovasdanel
My crossfire has 13 k and the tires are the originals from 2007, they still have 7/32 out of 10, but I feel poor traction and the rear a little too light compared to the Michelin PS2 I had in my older crossfire. I guess I should replace them no matter what since they already have 10 years. Opinions?

Probably a good idea to replace, am fond of my Barum Bravarus (European Continentals) from Discount Tire Direct. Great price, and they shipped free. Nice quiet ride and great handling. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the DOT on the sidewall and you may find the tires are actually 11 or 12 years old.
TireRack pegs replacement around 6-7 years due to rubber deterioration, so to be on the safe side get some new tread.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=184

Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Continental DWS06s on my '07 Coupe and like them a lot. A bit less sporty and a softer ride are BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S.

For a less expensive tire I have heard the Discount Tire Barum Bravuris 3HM is very good.

ps I always check the date code on new tires and refuse if more than 8 months old.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would change them immediately. It could be very dangerous for yourself and everyone around you. I just had 4 new Continental Extreme contact sport put on mine. They target the michelin pss and are just a bit below the new ps4. A fun, nimble, grippy, quiet and comfortable drive. They made the world of a difference. The car is now fun to drive. Do not cheap out on tires. You won't regret it.

Last edited by alexdc; 02-08-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Agree with the change but if you have a place to stack the originals in big baggies, keep them. They would be a valuable addition if the collectors ever take off on these.

ps I change my tires regularly but have mixed emotions about quality tires that are always garaged. Have had 20 year old tires that stood up to careful examination bot inside and out. Suspect many of the horror stories were people who just did not pay attention to what the tire was telling them.

ps have been towing campers and car haulers since the 70's. Have had failures but not this century. TPMS is wonderful.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Probably a good idea to replace, am fond of my Barum Bravarus (European Continentals) from Discount Tire Direct. Great price, and they shipped free. Nice quiet ride and great handling. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone

Old 02-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Agree with the change but if you have a place to stack the originals in big baggies, keep them. They would be a valuable addition if the collectors ever take off on these.

ps I change my tires regularly but have mixed emotions about quality tires that are always garaged. Have had 20 year old tires that stood up to careful examination bot inside and out. Suspect many of the horror stories were people who just did not pay attention to what the tire was telling them.

ps have been towing campers and car haulers since the 70's. Have had failures but not this century. TPMS is wonderful.
I had BF Goodrich tires on my 87 Mustang GT convert that i found out were 19 years old. Yup, I changed them out. When we took them off they were next to perfect, except VERY HARD. Got much better traction with the new tires. I gave the Mustang to my son in NH and we felt it was time to change the tires. On my Crossfire, which replaced the Mustang, I have Continetals. Nice tire.
Bill T.