Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Help With Tire Purchase

Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Help With Tire Purchase

Originally Posted by Kurtp13
I'm interested in these tires also considering the positive comments and the reasonable price. Does anyone have a photo of them mounted? I'm curious what they look like. The photos I've seen are all more conventional sizes.

How is the winter performance? They are listed as Summer tires on their own website. But they also don't have an All Season category, so I think it's just a translation difference. Discount Tire Direct refers to them as all season. And a person I talked to from Discount Tire on the phone today said they are All Season. We get some snow here so I need some all season performance.

Kurt from Maryland.

Kurt, I must tell you first that no matter where you go and who you ask, there are as many answers to your questions as there are people you ask. With that said, I LOVE the ride and the quietness these tires provide. Truth be said they did replace @ 9 year old worn down (to the wear bars) Continental ContiTouring Contact OEM tires. I look for one thing in tires I buy, the COST/RATING ratio. Now some might consider that 2 things BUT I consider that one (when comparing specs and others OPINIONS. The tires are euro Continental tires with a good rating, inexpensive, and a warranty from Continental tires USA. The research and decision is yours. I am glad I bought them, they came her super fast (free) and mounting/balancing them was also inexpensive. That's all I can provide to you. Good luck in your research and decision!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in these tires also considering the positive comments and the reasonable price. Does anyone have a photo of them mounted? I'm curious what they look like. The photos I've seen are all more conventional sizes.

How is the winter performance? They are listed as Summer tires on their own website. But they also don't have an All Season category, so I think it's just a translation difference. Discount Tire Direct refers to them as all season. And a person I talked to from Discount Tire on the phone today said they are All Season. We get some snow here so I need some all season performance.

Kurt from Maryland.
Kurt, I purchased a full set of these tires and I have been very happy with them they are quiet and they are responsive and wear has been excellent but of course I run five more pounds in each tire then what the doorpost recommends with no problems these will be the only tires I buy from this point on until they price themselves out of contention.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Kurt from Maryland.
So you've heard from a couple of satisfied owners of these tires from Barum. While I was not the initial discoverer of these tire, I probably was the most vocal in recommending these to other Crossfire Owners.

As previously stated, the ride is smooth and noise is minimal, if any. I also run the tires at 36 psig, which is somewhat above the OEM recommended air pressure. I ran the original Conti's at that air pressure also. I'm aligned with GraphiteGhost in that I wanted a performance tire at a reasonable price point. These tires are part of the Continental family and are rated as an equal, sometimes superior, tire to brands costing 2x what we paid for these. And Discount Tire is stocking these (at least in Greenville, SC stores) whereas I had to order them from Discount Tire Direct and have them drop-shipped at a local store for installation.

I know we haven't really addressed your question of winter use. These tires are classified as summer use only, which means the rubber compounds (& possibly tread design) do not make these conducive to winter seasonal driving. I wouldn't use these in any significant snow accumulation, or if the temp got done to near freezing. Otherwise, I'd use them during the winter season. You may have to look for another tire for your application. Consider looking at the website SuperBuyTires.com. Type in your sizes & tire performance required and you'll get quite a listing of tires that fit your requirements. Tires are manufactured all over the world and it is amazing what's out there.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search. Pictures attached with tires on my XFire. Pictures of sidewall are those I took after I swapped out caliper covers, but you'll see what the tire looks like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160210_132717.jpg (2.26 MB, 27 views)
20160210_132821.jpg (1.21 MB, 30 views)
20160210_132908.jpg (1.04 MB, 30 views)
20170412_104804.jpg (1.53 MB, 29 views)
20170412_104816.jpg (1.55 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-12-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dedwards0323
I called Discount Tire Direct again. I think the agent I had originally spoken to was incorrect. It is not an all season tire but there website doesn't make it very clear. And I may have looked at ratings where people have used them in snow to leap to the conclusion that it was all season. After thinking about it I will probably pass so I don't have to switch back and forth between summer and all season

Old 05-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

New source for tires and local mounting coming this summer:
eBay begins rollout of tyre fitting service : Tyrepress

Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Continential ExtremeContact DWS 06's the most out of any tires I've had on my Crossfires. They're what I recommend. I get them from TireRack.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run DWS06 on both our Crossfires,
and love them. Now they are not cost effective, and we run larger tyers on both, so the tally is often high, but not top price. We live in the best place on earth, so we have seasons that do not suck, but we get some strong rains and odd snowfalls in the transition periods, especially out in the mountains where we live with our fantastically driveable fun roads.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With rotating back unmount flip and remount on opposite side I got a scosh more miles out of gmax than I did dsw and dsw 06.
In gmax I ran 275/35 and with the dsw and dsw06 285/35.
I think the Gmax did a hair better in rain than the continentals, the Continentals I think have better dry traction, both have surprised me in winter, I use extra weight in winter if there is a chance for slick roads.
Without rotating the gmax, they will not last as long as the continentals, and can not rotate the continentals.
Front I like yoko avid ENVIGOR, USA made

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM

Anyone looking for OEM size tires ought to checkout the Barum Bravuris 3HM. Latest price from Discount Tire Direct. Continental family of tires.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

Anyone looking for OEM size tires ought to checkout the Barum Bravuris 3HM. Latest price from Discount Tire Direct. Continental family of tires.

I have these, very quiet and smooth ride. Highly suggested. Plus, you get added benefits on the contental website when you register them for the warranty.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I have these, very quiet and smooth ride. Highly suggested. Plus, you get added benefits on the contental website when you register them for the warranty.

Yep I have a set on my 05 Roadster I really like them and I will be buying another set when these wear out. The all-season straight tread design makes them very quiet.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
Yep I have a set on my 05 Roadster I really like them and I will be buying another set when these wear out. The all-season straight tread design makes them very quiet.
Interesting that you would say something about the all-season tread pattern. Tire does have some of that characteristic, but is specifically categorized as a summer performance tire. Not sure if I was pursuing an all-season tire that I would select the Barums, but that's just me talking.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Interesting that you would say something about the all-season tread pattern. Tire does have some of that characteristic, but is specifically categorized as a summer performance tire. Not sure if I was pursuing an all-season tire that I would select the Barums, but that's just me talking.
Well that's okay you're not the first to point that out, when I was searching for tires I was specifically researching all season tires because of the straight-line tread design, I was trying to get away from the performance tires because they are so noisy on my Roadster. Even if they are not specifically designated a/s they have all the attributes of an all-season Tire and as a bonus they have a y speed rating and my opinion of them Remains the Same. Thanks for pointing that out and I will refrain from using the a/ s designation when describing them.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
Well that's okay you're not the first to point that out, when I was searching for tires I was specifically researching all season tires because of the straight-line tread design, I was trying to get away from the performance tires because they are so noisy on my Roadster. Even if they are not specifically designated a/s they have all the attributes of an all-season Tire and as a bonus they have a y speed rating and my opinion of them Remains the Same. Thanks for pointing that out and I will refrain from using the a/ s designation when describing them.
Kinda interesting to me personally that someone would recognize this tire having an A/S tread-like pattern, which is somewhat unusual for a summer performance tire. We possibly get an added benefit with this tire without knowing it. Food for thought.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My life has always been strange. Here the weather does not suck but does blow occasionally and we have 100 days of Winter (utility bills go up and you do not go outside unless you have to) but that is ending for this year.

I too am getting new DWS06s but only after I decided on Kumho Ecsta 4x II but when they came in were 0315s and as none newer could be found they offered me a deal on DWS06s. So while Kumhos are on the car now and I like the ride, prefer the Contis.

Is interesting that the first asymmetrical pattern tires I had were Michelin XASs which were specifically "all season".

Last edited by Padgett; 09-24-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased 4 continental exstream contact tires for my 05 Roadster from https://www.rightturn.com/
Price encludes shipping to a dealer of your choice, insulation, balancing, tire desposel.
Was very pleased.
Firemanken

Old 10-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Just got back from 2017 Fall Crossfire ToD GTG in Fontana Dam, NC. Wanted to post here that this was the first experience for me with the Barum Bravuris 3HM tires other than normal day-to-day driving. I gotta say that I was impressed with how "sure-footed" the XFire performed on roadways that create some challenges. It's been quite a few years since the XFire felt so responsive and gripped the roadway like it did. Just convinced me that my selection & purchase of this tire was a good one.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 PM

just got back from 2017 fall crossfire tod gtg in fontana dam, nc. Wanted to post here that this was the first experience for me with the barum bravuris 3hm tires other than normal day-to-day driving. I gotta say that i was impressed with how "sure-footed" the xfire performed on roadways that create some challenges. It's been quite a few years since the xfire felt so responsive and gripped the roadway like it did. Just convinced me that my selection & purchase of this tire was a good one.
👍............🤙😏

Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Just got back from 2017 Fall Crossfire ToD GTG in Fontana Dam, NC. Wanted to post here that this was the first experience for me with the Barum Bravuris 3HM tires other than normal day-to-day driving. I gotta say that I was impressed with how "sure-footed" the XFire performed on roadways that create some challenges. It's been quite a few years since the XFire felt so responsive and gripped the roadway like it did. Just convinced me that my selection & purchase of this tire was a good one.
News I can use - I've bought my LAST set of Hankooks.

I do NOT get it, the 05 Limited was great on the Dragon with the 'kooks, but the SE - not so much.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
News I can use - I've bought my LAST set of Hankooks.

I do NOT get it, the 05 Limited was great on the Dragon with the 'kooks, but the SE - not so much.
Does seem sorta odd that you can tell that much difference. I thought all the NAs (Base, Limited, SE) had identical suspensions. And the overall weight couldn't be that much of a factor, if any.