Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Winter's over (I hope) - Prepare Xfire

Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter's over (I hope) - Prepare Xfire

Looks like winter is over. 115 inches of snow! I'm getting the XFire ready for action.

- Curb rash - Two 1 to 2 inch areas on one wheel. I cleaned, sanded, filled, primed and sprayed with Wurth silver and clear coat paints. It came out good. If I look hard I can tell where it was done, but I have to get 6 inches from it to see it. All this as I had to park close to the curb so the car next to me in the hotel parking lot would be too far away to give me a door ding!

- New front brake pads - I'm not going to spend so much time this year cleaning brake dust. I've order Rotex Gold pads. I'll be getting a 7mm hex socket before they arrive to remove the caliper sliders. I have attached the replacement procedures (PDF) from the Xfire manual for anyone interested in doing it themselfs. You will need a torque wrench also.

This sucks. I gotta move south so I can drive it all year. They salt here to the point where the roads look white.

Dadof4

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XFBrakes.PDF (259.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Default Re: Winter's over (I hope) - Prepare Xfire

Originally Posted by dadof4
- Curb rash - Two 1 to 2 inch areas on one wheel. I cleaned, sanded, filled, primed and sprayed with Wurth silver and clear coat paints. It came out good. If I look hard I can tell where it was done, but I have to get 6 inches from it to see it.
Two questions -
1. Did you purchase the Wurth paint locally or on line?
2. Why can you tell where it was done, paint not a perfect match, or other reason?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Bob...
I got the paint at www.properautocare.com. Search for "Wurth" and you will find it. I have also attached a picture of the repaired wheel. From where I was taking the picture I had no idea where I had repaired the wheel. The metalic grain of the paint may not be as fine as original. But it is a stretch to see it. It blends in well as long as ALL of the new paint is covered with clear coat. You do not want to do anything to the new paint (no sanding) before you put on the clear coat. Then wait 24 hours and polish it. The picture was taken using the flash on the camera so you may see some glare. On the picture one of the repairs was at about 7 oclock and one was at about 2 oclock on the wheel.

Regards

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XFWheel2.jpg (39.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by dadof4; 04-04-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.
Bob