Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Confused about BAD tires on my car

Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about BAD tires on my car

Hi I took my car to Sam’s club for tires about a year ago. They put two Goodyear’s F1 Asymmetric 2 tires on the rear of my car. I have had issues from day one. Wheel light will not go out the car seems to pull and just handles and drives like crap. Yesterday when I took it back in yet again they told me the rear tires are shot.

So I went to the Goodyear website to check these tires and their website says these tires will not fit my car and it asked if I want to see tires that do fit. when I questioned the Goodyear rep she said while Sam’s may show they are the same size they are not made for my car and they recommended the F1 Asymmetric 2 ROF that could be used or the F1 Asymmetric all season or the F1 Asymmetric 3. But not this tire that’s been on my car for over a year.

I wonder could this be the reason my tires have worn out and why my car has driven like crap? The person at Sams said as long as they fit then they can sell them to me and put them on my car. I’m confused and quite dumbfounded that this is the response from the service person at Sam’s club. Yes I know now not to go to Sam’s for tires I guess. But I’m not sure what to do now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Confused about BAD tires on my car

Sounds like Sam’s may not have installed these correctly. Asymmetrical tires have an “Outside” marker on the sidewall to show the installer the correct mounting position. Also, I believe these are Summer tires and will have squirrely handling in cold temps. Not sure on the TPMS light.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

First off, I went to Sams once and purchased tires for another car I had at the time. After I bought them a while, I had a bad tire I thought. Turns out the type of name brand tires I bought were manufactured for Sams only. No other tire dealer would touch them when they saw what name was on them. So back to Sams with my problem. Really a big joke when it comes to handling a tire issue. So I asked to please check the balance again to eliminate that possibility. I took the car home and now the whole car shook, not just the front end. Turned around and went back. Found out all they did was rotate the tires. I asked if they balanced the tires before rotating them? They said only the fronts, quote, WE DON'T BALANCE REAR TIRES, IT IS NOT NEEDED. Now I know this is BS and asked then why was I charged for 4 balances when I bought them. No answer. I went elsewhere and bought new tires, problem solved.

NEVER NEVER go back to Sams again... too bad they are closing more stores

Old 01-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is an old post of mine, but my experience with GoodYear F1...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lacements.html

Old 01-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well tire rack is showing it as a 2013 production, what is the date code on your tires ? Have refused tires at Sam's before due to date codes over a year old.

That said there seem to be a number of Goodyear F1s. Here is what tire rack shows, are they the same ?

Last edited by Padgett; 01-27-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 AM

These are goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. I’ll take a picture of them if I can figure out how to upload it.

I don’t know which year they were but what I can’t figure out is why does Goodyear’s website say they aren’t made for my car. Which is a 2008 roadster. The F1 Asymmetric 2 ROF tires are ok for my car but not these. Then the Goodyear store said they won’t sell them to me for my car but he won’t say they don’t fit. Just that they aren’t made for my car.

Last edited by Barbarasouix; 01-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Well tire rack is showing it as a 2013 production, what is the date code on your tires ? Have refused tires at Sam's before due to date codes over a year old.

That said there seem to be a number of Goodyear F1s. Here is what tire rack shows, are they the same ?
Yes they are the same tire. Except mine are as smooth as a baby’s butt

Last edited by Barbarasouix; 01-28-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by harbor
Sounds like Sam’s may not have installed these correctly. Asymmetrical tires have an “Outside” marker on the sidewall to show the installer the correct mounting position. Also, I believe these are Summer tires and will have squirrely handling in cold temps. Not sure on the TPMS light.
Yi has then rotated a couple times because they have been really bad tires.
Yes they are summer tires but that’s not what I was told I was buying

Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 PM

Back to "insufficient data". Need to know the date code (at end of DOT string, may only be on one side).

See https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Also, what do you mean by "rotate", should have different sizes on the front than the rear and tires may be directional ?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:51 PM

Oh man I put all the numbers down in here and it didn’t put my message up. Going back for them DOT NUMBER DM32 JA3R 2714 then a little beyond that is 255/35r19 96Y
And A54L Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
The words RIM Protector with arrows
Also made in Germany Treadwear 300 traction AA temp A
Extra load radial tubeless
B351619 GG444EJHFH
e13 in a circle
These numbers 0212385
These numbers (0216411)
(S2WR2)

Sorry I forgot I don’t know what he meant because I do have different size tires on front/back. This was a trip or two ago this time he said he can’t rotate them or do anything to them because the rear tires are shot is how he put it on my invoice
Back to "insufficient data". Need to know the date code (at end of DOT string, may only be on one side).

See https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Also, what do you mean by "rotate", should have different sizes on the front than the rear and tires may be directional ?

Last edited by Barbarasouix; 01-28-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Well the important thing is that the "2714" means the 27th week (early July) in 2014. If they sold you those tires in 2017 they should not have been selling them as "new" and you have a legitimate gripe right there. I have refused tires that were over a year old before.

Second with a treadwear of 300 you should get "moderate" mileage out of them unless autocross a lot. I used to have to replace two tires and a wheel every week when seriously autocrossing in stock class. OTOH since my Crossie is a cruiser, I just replaced the rear tires on mine that were 1/2 worn in 2013. I like Continental DWS06s.

That said I buy a lot of tires (usually Michelin or BFGs) from my local Sam's club but have been going there for years and know the people (and they know I'm going to look at the date codes).

ps yes, just about every manufacturer has special "club" tires for places like BJs, Costco, and Sams but those are mainstream tires that fit a lot of cars and not oddball sizes like a 255/35/19.

pps if looking for a reasonably priced tire, try Barums from Discount tire. They are made by Continental and have heard good things about them.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:30 PM

Thank you Padgett I have learned a lotabout tires here in the past few days. Do you happen to know if Continentals were the tires that came from the factory on the car? I can’t remember
But either way it’s my understanding the premium tire package I purchased should cover these tires for the tread being gone within one year of purchase no matter what so I’m going to go in with that argument and the argument about the tire not being the correct tire for whatever reason Goodyear says it isn’t I’ll take their word on it and then we have old age of the tires on top if it.
I’ll let you know what they say. Again thank you very much and thank you to all the members here who help me out so often
I really appreciate this forum

Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 AM

Probably shoult mention that without pictures of the tread, it is hard to say what is going on. With an IRS, improper camber (will wear a shoulder), or toe-in (will wear tread evenly but fast) is also possible. Before lawyering up I'd have the rear wheel alignment at least checked by a good shop

That said my experience with Sam's is that they are very good about correcting problems but individual store management may vary particularly if the customer seems inexperienced. You may have to escalate to Bentonville.

ps don't know, have never looked at a new Crossfire. Certainly possible since Continental is German.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My ‘05 & ‘07 came with Continental A/S Tires, and I think the factory Summer tire was a mix of Continental & Michelin.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 PM

Hi,
this whole thing has got me to thinking. When I was in an accident way back in 12/10 a van hit my passenger side and it broke the rear bar thing ( forgot what that’s called) that the tires sit on. My tires were wearing significantly more on the inside than the outside. So I reopened my accident claim with my insurance company. Just in case there’s something wrong with the rear of my car.
Also when they rotate my rear or whatever that’s called would that make the other side start wearing and they would then even out at some point? Thsis would make sense if at the point they got even again is where they went completely smooth maybe. The tires are smooth but you can feel that that the inside of the tires are wearing more than the outside. But I would think this would have been an issue for the past 7 years not be an issue that just came up since I got these particular tires. Again I’m guessing.
I’m going to break down the miles on the tires. 1 set replaced because of accident replaced with same exact tires that came on it.
This set lasted until last year and more than 30 thousand miles. This last set got less than 10 thousand miles and are bald

Probably shoult mention that without pictures of the tread, it is hard to say what is going on. With an IRS, improper camber (will wear a shoulder), or toe-in (will wear tread evenly but fast) is also possible. Before lawyering up I'd have the rear wheel alignment at least checked by a good shop

That said my experience with Sam's is that they are very good about correcting problems but individual store management may vary particularly if the customer seems inexperienced. You may have to escalate to Bentonville.

ps don't know, have never looked at a new Crossfire. Certainly possible since Continental is German.

Last edited by Barbarasouix; 01-29-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM

Hi I remember mine saying touring on them not not much else except I remember they seemed to have more tire behind the tire than the set I have now had.
I’m not sure how else to put that. It felt like the tires were more substantial and had more control. I think it may be written in the paperwork from buying the car.
This set was the third set of tires for my car

be my third set of
Originally Posted by harbor
My ‘05 & ‘07 came with Continental A/S Tires, and I think the factory Summer tire was a mix of Continental & Michelin.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Quench question if I may..
What does IRS stand for (I know it means infernal revenue suckers) but in cars what does it mean?