CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Master Cylinder Time? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wheels-brakes-tires-suspension/78041-master-cylinder-time.html)

James1549 04-05-2018 10:17 PM

Master Cylinder Time?

So it appears Spring is around the corner. I backed the car out of the garage and this year again as last year, and the year before, the brake pedal is not good. I know that bleeding the brakes will make it perfect as before. Once bled, the brakes are fine for the next 9 months I drive it. I am thinking maybe replacing it this year when I get time.

I have read that there is some confusion on the correct part numbers from Cardone and RockAuto. Can anyone confirm exactly what I need for an NA? Or just go to NAPA or Autozone?

Thanks, James

dedwards0323 04-06-2018 07:12 AM

Re: Master Cylinder Time?

1 Attachment(s)
James - Attached is a copy of the RockAuto receipt for the Master Cylinder I bought for my 2007 NA Coupe. You'll notice that I originally purchased the wrong version & had to send it back for a credit on the correct unit.

Later, Dennis E.

onehundred80 04-06-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by James1549 (Post 903624)
So it appears Spring is around the corner. I backed the car out of the garage and this year again as last year, and the year before, the brake pedal is not good. I know that bleeding the brakes will make it perfect as before. Once bled, the brakes are fine for the next 9 months I drive it. I am thinking maybe replacing it this year when I get time.

I have read that there is some confusion on the correct part numbers from Cardone and RockAuto. Can anyone confirm exactly what I need for an NA? Or just go to NAPA or Autozone?

Thanks, James

I purchased one from Cardone for my SRT and I got the wrong one, after it had been replaced by exactly the same one I spoke to a Cardone rep who steadfastly maintained that it was the correct one. I explained the difference but he said it was what the catalog stated as being the correct part so it must be correct. I sometimes wonder at the stupidity of some of these desk jockeys.
I returned it and swore never to go to Cardone in the future.
I replaced it with a used part and that was that, it never solved my low pedal which everyone said was normal, so I guess they are correct.:rolleyes:

zip439 04-06-2018 08:11 AM

James FCPEuro shows master cylinder MB part number 0054309901 for SLK320. They have one in stock for $340.59

ZERACER 04-06-2018 12:52 PM

New on Ebay for under $100.00.

onehundred80 04-06-2018 01:13 PM

Thanks, James

What is the lowest temperature the car sees in the winter months?
When you bleed them do you see air bubbles come out?

dedwards0323 04-06-2018 02:32 PM

Thanks, James

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 903642)
I replaced it with a used part and that was that, it never solved my low pedal which everyone said was normal, so I guess they are correct.:rolleyes:

When I installed a set of SS brake lines on my coupe, then flushing & bleeding the entire system, the brake pedal in my Coupe was nice & firm, with only a small amount of travel. But after it sat for awhile, the "soft" brake pedal came back. This was right before the Fall ToD event last year. But the car performed fine up & back & throughout the weekend. I have a new Master Cylinder, but not convinced I need to install it yet. I guess I don't drive the XFire often enough to remember the soft pedal feel as being somewhat normal. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!!!

James1549 04-11-2018 07:35 PM

I think I will go with the Centric and put it on when I get time. Thanks for the info.

James

waldig 04-13-2018 08:19 AM

Some pedal issues are caused by ballooning brake lines and there are ss lines that help that issue. Free answers = call Rob for assistance.

If you see bubbles you need to do a complete flush, longest lines first. I flood the master cylinder with fluid and allow gravity to purge the lines.

Pedal on mine is never an issue, done track and autocrossing, must be right for that.

Enjoy WEEKEND W:):DDY

sirharper 04-23-2018 02:10 PM

So far we have you (Delhi), myself (near Kings Island), and a guy in Alexandria KY all with this same problem this spring. Did something wacky occur in this area last winter???

Jim Holian 04-23-2018 05:58 PM

Waldig - Where you able to find direct replacement stainless brake lines or did you have to fabricate them? Did it help the "soft pedal" issue? Please let me know on both questions.

Thanks,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

ala_xfire 04-23-2018 06:12 PM

You can get the Goodrich hoses here :
NeedsWings Performance Products. Goodridge G-Stop Brake Line Kit

dedwards0323 04-24-2018 08:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jim Holian (Post 904651)
Waldig - Where you able to find direct replacement stainless brake lines or did you have to fabricate them? Did it help the "soft pedal" issue? Please let me know on both questions.

Thanks,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

The Goodridge SS brake line hoses sourced from NeedsWings are an excellent upgrade to the OEM hoses. Here are a few pics showing the installation on my 2007 Coupe. You'll see I also installed Speed Bleeder screws which make bleeding the brake lines & calipers really an easy, 1-man job.

dedwards0323 04-24-2018 08:09 AM

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jim Holian (Post 904651)

Thanks,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

The Goodridge SS brake line hoses sourced from NeedsWings are an excellent upgrade to the OEM hoses. Here are a few pics showing the installation on my 2007 Coupe. You'll see I also installed Speed Bleeder screws which make bleeding the brake lines & calipers an easy, 1-man job.

dedwards0323 04-24-2018 08:17 AM

Sorry for the double post. Windows 10 & Google screw up. An Administrator for this thread can delete the 2nd post.

Jim Holian 04-24-2018 10:12 AM

ala_xfire and dedwars0323 -Thanks for the input information. I think I will try that and see if it helps mine. Thanks again for the input and photo's.

Jim

James1549 05-15-2018 05:10 PM

Had some time today to investigate my issue. I have a new MC on the bench but will deal with that later.

I bled the front brakes, drove the car, no difference.
Then I bled the rear brakes and pedal as it should be when new!

Absolutely no leaks, fluid level was were I left it last year. I feel that I didn't bleed enough fluid from the rear that any fluid in the MC or ABS area should have made it all the way to rear and out the bleeder. So where does that leave the air getting into the system?

Just something to think about. Not sure a new MC will do the fix but will get to that point.

James

Jim Holian 07-21-2018 04:57 PM

sirharper - I'm the guy in Alexandria, Kentucky. I just want to let you know that I replaced my stock brake lines with the braided stainless lines from Needswings, and also the pads and fluid. When I first got the car back from the fellow who did the work (Kens auto) in Alexandria, the pedal was great. Now, a few months later, it's getting soft again. There is no notice of any leakage anywhere and the master cylinder is full. I can't explain this at all!

There is a repair shop in Burlington, Ky. called Superior Imports. I have not used them yet. They are supposed to be the go to folks for Mercedes, Porsch, and so on. They seem to have a very good reputation. I might try them to re-bleed the brakes and refill the system with the brake fluid I got from Needswings. If you have any ideas, let me know,

Sorry I'm so slow in getting this posted. I've been quite ill all spring and early summer. Finally getting back on my feet.

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

Alexandria, Ky.

onehundred80 07-21-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323 (Post 904683)
Sorry for the double post. Windows 10 & Google screw up. An Administrator for this thread can delete the 2nd post.

This is actually a triple post.;)

You could have put the words in your third post into your second post after editing out all of its contents, it would have then been a double post.

I can see me doing that then making a fourth post explaining what happened, it could go on indefinitely.

Jim Holian 07-22-2018 10:08 AM

180 - What are you, the self appointed Crossfire police. You must have nothing to do! Get a life and mind your own business. I'm certainly tired of your sarcastic manner. If you can't be positive, be quiet.

Jim