Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Quick question on TPMS

Old 06-11-2018, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on TPMS

Hi all,

We are replacing both rear tyres on my wifes Crossfire on Wednesday as one is completely illegal - RWD so swapping out in pairs.

I have heard that the car has a pressure monitoring system installed, is there anything the tyre fitter needs to know as to not mess up the system? I do have an OBD2 reader which can read and reset codes - am I able to use this to reset any codes for the pressure monitoring system or it is something that will be causing me a headache in the near future? Guess that the sensor will reset the light if the pressure is correct though?

Worth noting that the MOT here in the UK requires the system to be working - can't fix it with tape unfortunately!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Quick question on TPMS

Originally Posted by m1tch
Hi all,

We are replacing both rear tyres on my wifes Crossfire on Wednesday as one is completely illegal - RWD so swapping out in pairs.

I have heard that the car has a pressure monitoring system installed, is there anything the tyre fitter needs to know as to not mess up the system? I do have an OBD2 reader which can read and reset codes - am I able to use this to reset any codes for the pressure monitoring system or it is something that will be causing me a headache in the near future? Guess that the sensor will reset the light if the pressure is correct though?

Worth noting that the MOT here in the UK requires the system to be working - can't fix it with tape unfortunately!
If the system is working now then it should work with the sensors replaced in the new tyres when placed in the same wheel position.
Make sure that the tyre installer knows there are sensors in the wheel and that he should not damage them.
You will not be able to reset the TPMS with your OBD reader.