Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

removing and installing rear rotors

Old 02-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default removing and installing rear rotors

Gentlemen - I will be having a shop install rear brake rotors for me soon. I think I saw somewhere on this forum that the rear bleeders should be opened when either removing or installing the calipers. I can't seem to find that reference now that I need it. There are two shop's that I trust to install the rotors for me, but I don't know if they are aware of the opening of the bleeder during rotor installation. If that, in fact, is what should be done, I would like to copy the posting and show them. I know them and they won't be offended.

If anyone is aware of that posting, can you let me know the title so I can look it up. If no one know's of the posting but is familiar with installing the rear rotors, can you refer me to the correct procedure concerning the calipers removal and installation.

Thank you for your help,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com

Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: removing and installing rear rotors

It is in debate whether you need to open the bleeders or not when pushing the pistons back into the caliper bore.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Gentlemen - I will be having a shop install rear brake rotors for me soon. I think I saw somewhere on this forum that the rear bleeders should be opened when either removing or installing the calipers. I can't seem to find that reference now that I need it. There are two shop's that I trust to install the rotors for me, but I don't know if they are aware of the opening of the bleeder during rotor installation. If that, in fact, is what should be done, I would like to copy the posting and show them. I know them and they won't be offended.

If anyone is aware of that posting, can you let me know the title so I can look it up. If no one know's of the posting but is familiar with installing the rear rotors, can you refer me to the correct procedure concerning the calipers removal and installation.

Thank you for your help,

Jim Holian
jpmlholian@aol.com
When changing the pads or removing the calipers you can gently move the pads back to clear the lip on the disk and then open them just enough to get the new pads to slide into place. You do not want to force the pistons back too far or the seals could get damaged. Opening the bleeders will get air in the system, you can bleed the brakes but the less air in there the better. Just make sure there is room in the reservoir for the expelled fluid, changing pads is a good time to change the brake fluid as well.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I've always pushed the caliper piston back when I installed new pads and/or rotors. Like others have stated, I only push the piston back a sufficient distance to allow clearance for the new rotor and/or pads. I also loosen the master cylinder cap which better enables the fluid to be pushed back by piston.

And I agree that since a brake pad and/or rotor install is somewhat a major maintenance event, I agree with the previous feedback that it is a good time to flush the brake system. And I use "Speed Bleeders" to allow that to be relatively easy for a 1-man DIY maintenance task. I've also used the "Speed Bleeder" to drain the fluid expelled by pushing the piston back into the caliper. Once you're done, just re-tighten the "Speed Bleeder" screw.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.