Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Bearing and tires

Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing and tires

Hi,
I have my SRT-6 convertible since a month now. I put 1800 miles on it in two week end. During the last days i heard a noise like an "UFO scoupe". it seem to come from passenger side rear wheel. Sometime (around 60mph or more) i feel little vibration under my seat. I think it came from the rear end because i don't feel anything in the steering. I know all tires are on life end because the previous owner say to me it is the original tires. In not so long, tire will reach warning marks in the tread. But they are in good condition for theyre long life because previous owner keep the car always in garage. I plan to put new tires next week, but for the bearing..? Any idea?

Also, my next question is: What tires brand should be installed on this car? Like it is a Convertible SRT-6, (but i am to old to drive it at 150 mph) so i don't think to installing high performance tires but a little bit confortable coul'd help. I use this car at 65 mph or less to cruise along secondary roads and looking decor! Some of this secondary roads are pretty rough or have potholes.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Bearing and tires

With the high camber front and rear, check the insides of the tires, they are probably shot.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Bearing and tires

Originally Posted by Moparboy
Hi,
I have my SRT-6 convertible since a month now. I put 1800 miles on it in two week end. During the last days i heard a noise like an "UFO scoupe". it seem to come from passenger side rear wheel. Sometime (around 60mph or more) i feel little vibration under my seat. I think it came from the rear end because i don't feel anything in the steering. I know all tires are on life end because the previous owner say to me it is the original tires. In not so long, tire will reach warning marks in the tread. But they are in good condition for theyre long life because previous owner keep the car always in garage. I plan to put new tires next week, but for the bearing..? Any idea?

Also, my next question is: What tires brand should be installed on this car? Like it is a Convertible SRT-6, (but i am to old to drive it at 150 mph) so i don't think to installing high performance tires but a little bit confortable coul'd help. I use this car at 65 mph or less to cruise along secondary roads and looking decor! Some of this secondary roads are pretty rough or have potholes.
I run Yokohama avid ENVIGOR on the front, made in usa, I have had great luck with them.
Rear I don't think they have 255/35r19.
I run 285/35r19 on the back and 235 on the front.
There are several different options for tires, most are summer only, so to watch out if you happen to drive in around 40° f temps.
I don't know where you are from, so makes a difference, some are better than others for rain.
I have been through several different sets of tires.
The general gmax is a great rain tire and has descent wear for what they are, I got about 30 - 35 k miles out of my rears, but I rotated them, they are directional so have to un.ount, flip and remount and balance, to put on the other side, somewhat was on the inside on one side is on the outside on the other, to help with the high camber.
They are a softer sidewall so would not be as hard of a ride as a runflat or a zero pressure tire.
I have Michelin 285 zp and love them, but I have wider aftermarket wheels for the 285 zp tire, I have 2 spare in my shop
Great traction and handling dry and wet, and I have been caught in snow / ice acouple times and they have surprised me, rest of the time I take my truck.

If you just drive on dry warm roads there are several options.