Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

uneven ride height after spring install

Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uneven ride height after spring install

very straight forward. i put "vogtland" lowering springs on my crossfire and the rear is uneven. both springs are sitting perfectly. both springs are the correct springs and both are facing the right direction. (they're labeled). i have a 3 finger clearance on my left rear but a 1 finger clearance on my right. they've been on for about a week but not sure if they've broken in or not but i just need help on what to do or need to know if anyone has had this problem.

left rear

right rear

Last edited by joozyxfire; 07-16-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: uncommon words
Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: uneven ride height after spring install

It's still early and you may get easier suggestions. If you don't, I would swap the springs to see if the problem follows the spring to the other side.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish I had that much clearance.
But I do carry alot of stuff in the back everywhere I go, since I drive out of state every week.

Having a alignment can help.
Made a big difference on mine.

Was it even before you did the springs ?
Contact the place you bought them ?
Could be the spring.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by joozyxfire
very straight forward. i put "vogtland" lowering springs on my crossfire and the rear is uneven. both springs are sitting perfectly. both springs are the correct springs and both are facing the right direction. (they're labeled). i have a 3 finger clearance on my left rear but a 1 finger clearance on my right. they've been on for about a week but not sure if they've broken in or not but i just need help on what to do or need to know if anyone has had this problem.

left rear

right rear
Ask your mother in-law to step out of the car for a moment, she can eat her doughnuts elsewhere.

Have you got the rubber doughnuts spacers equal on both sides? Both springs the same length?

Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Following up on 180's post above. On the lower side of the spring where it sets on the lower control arm there is a specific way that spring is installed. It must be turned so that the longest end of the coil sets in the indent/seat provided for it on the control arm. The same situation at the top of the spring. It must have the end of the coil inserted into the deepest part of the rubber spacer. Other than a bad spring or it not being the proper spring for the car. There is not much that can be in error. I would guess the problem is in the long spring. The spacing on the tight side looks about right.
It is also possible that something in the front of the car, diagonally from the rear is causing your problem. Perhaps a broken front spring.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a ruler to measure up from flat ground to see total car attitude. Woody

Old 07-31-2019, 10:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said above the springs have to be "clocked" correctly. I replaced my fronts (only) last month with stock, or as close as possible since they are NLA from dealers.
The control arms are such that the bottom end of each spring "points" the same direction as it sits on the control arm. Both pointed to the same side of the car, the left side as I remember.
In front there are pads at the top which clock the spring top in the pad, the spring and pad can be rotated to correct clocking of the spring bottom to the lower control arm, before you bolt it all back together.
If the rear has those pads on top of the springs (as the fronts do) a missing pad will affect ride height, as will pads of differing thickness.
What you have looks like a big discrepancy. I would look for something goofy with the pads if that applies, or at least remove the springs to make sure they the same free length uninstalled.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have your other spring out atm?
Mainly rear springs
Curious if I can get internal measurements, I want to get a pair of air bags to go inside of the coil springs to give the rear alittle help, with the weight I have in my hatch.
Tools and parts, since i travel so far from home every week.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

email me. i do have the rear springs out. longlivejoozy@gmail.com

Last edited by joozyxfire; 08-10-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: for email