WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Fog Light Replacement/Change out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light Replacement/Change out

I am looking for a front fog light assembly for my 2005 Crossfire- or fog light with broken lense so I can change my good light out and put in led replacement like I did on the passenger side.

If anyone has one or knows where I can find one, let me know.

My passenger side lens was shattered by a rock and you have to replace the whole light which is pretty expensive, so I removed and modified the broken light and replaced it.

Reluctant to destroy the good original on driver's side to modify, would rather get an already damaged one.

e-mail is treyleblanc@hotmail.com

In case you need to do same-

You can buy the fog lamps at Auto Zone, about $25, smallest diameter (about 2 1/4")

Jack up car and remove wheel.

Remove access panel (may be better to remove fender well altogether for better access, but?)

Remove fog lamp assembly

Unplug and also remove bulb

Take bulb assembly out of housing ( 2 tabs for swivel)

Remove glass lens, glued in.

Slide new LED foglight into housing from front (remove bracket from LED light- save screws), the housing is tapered.

Figure out where screw holes in LED light are and drill housing so you can secure with screws. I did on each side keeping new light with top up.

After secured use black or clear silicone sealer around back of LED light to secure

The take gray foam round weather stripping (3/4" diam, note 1" would be better) and use silicone (clear) to make a ring on front of assembly installed where lens was removed. Use tape to hold in place until it sets.

(can use any type of closed cell round foam, mine was gray, black might be better, could also use closed cell small diameter pipe insulation or a cut piece of stiffer closed cell foam- note this is to make up space between bumper where lens was)

Attach pig tail wires to LED light.

Reinstall housing with new light

Remove plug from car fog light wiring and attach wiring for new LED light to car fog light wiring.

Note- check to make sure which side is positive, if installed backwards LED will not come on.

( I soldered mine and used shrink tubing over, a plug could be installed)

Check to make sure LED light comes on. (note dash idiot light for burned out bulb will be on when fog lamp is on as car does not recognize LED light.

If everything works, close it up, put wheel back on and you are ready to go or do other side.

I found LED to be brighter than original light.

Good luck

I still need to find a broken fog light for drivers side so I can replace with LED as I do not want to destroy the working one I have???????????

Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Replacement/Change out-crossfire-fog-light-20151107_142706.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Fog Light Replacement/Change out

How about a close up? Looks OK from a distance.
Can you add some clear lens to the front or you'll get more rock damage.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by treyleblanc
I am looking for a front fog light assembly for my 2005 Crossfire- or fog light with broken lense so I can change my good light out and put in led replacement like I did on the passenger side.

My passenger side lens was shattered by a rock and you have to replace the whole light which is pretty expensive, so I removed and modified the broken light and replaced it.

Reluctant to destroy the good original on driver's side to modify, would rather get an already damaged one.

You can buy the fog lamps at Auto Zone, about $25, smallest diameter (about 2 1/4")

Remove access panel (may be better to remove fender well altogether for better access, but?)

Remove fog lamp assembly

Slide new LED foglight into housing from front (remove bracket from LED light- save screws), the housing is tapered.

Figure out where screw holes in LED light are and drill housing so you can secure with screws. I did on each side keeping new light with top up.

After secured use black or clear silicone sealer around back of LED light to secure

The take gray foam round weather stripping (3/4" diam, note 1" would be better) and use silicone (clear) to make a ring on front of assembly installed where lens was removed. Use tape to hold in place until it sets.

(can use any type of closed cell round foam, mine was gray, black might be better, could also use closed cell small diameter pipe insulation or a cut piece of stiffer closed cell foam- note this is to make up space between bumper where lens was)

Remove plug from car fog light wiring and attach wiring for new LED light to car fog light wiring.

Note- check to make sure which side is positive, if installed backwards LED will not come on.

Check to make sure LED light comes on. (note dash idiot light for burned out bulb will be on when fog lamp is on as car does not recognize LED light.

If everything works, close it up, put wheel back on and you are ready to go or do other side.

Good luck

I still need to find a broken fog light for drivers side so I can replace with LED as I do not want to destroy the working one I have???????????
This has some merit to it, I'd add a clear plastic lens in front to protect the glass and stop it acting like a funnel for dirt.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Rvh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by treyleblanc

D

Remove fog lamp assembly

Good luck

Did you ever find a drivers side fog light with a cracked lense?