All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Michelin Pilot Sport tires wearing poorly

Old 11-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport tires wearing poorly

Hello all-

I purchased a pair of new '255/35ZR 19 96Y Pilot Sport A/S 3 BSW XL' Tires for the rear of my Crossfire 2 summers ago at 17772 miles. I recently rolled over 23500 and noticed that the grooves on these tires are wearing fast and are now shallow. I usually only drive my Croasfire for 3 seasons and store it in the Winter. It is my daily driver when it is not in storage and I wouldn't consider myself an overly "aggressive driver". My tires show no uneven or unusual wear but my question is, Is it normal to have these pricey tires wear out so fast in 5000-6000 miles !? I have also noticed the car shimmies slightly in rainy condictions which also leads me to believe that the tires are in fact going bad. Could I have also purchased counterfeit Michelins unbeknownst to me??? Thank you all for your input!

Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport tires wearing poorly

Are the inside edges wearing faster than the outside? Common problem on XF. There is no meaningful way to adjust the rear camber with the stock setup. There's a couple of solutions though. Some can be seen here as an example:

NeedsWings Performance Products. Suspension XF

Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by The rabbit
Hello all-

I purchased a pair of new '255/35ZR 19 96Y Pilot Sport A/S 3 BSW XL' Tires for the rear of my Crossfire 2 summers ago at 17772 miles. I recently rolled over 23500 and noticed that the grooves on these tires are wearing fast and are now shallow. I usually only drive my Croasfire for 3 seasons and store it in the Winter. It is my daily driver when it is not in storage and I wouldn't consider myself an overly "aggressive driver". My tires show no uneven or unusual wear but my question is, Is it normal to have these pricey tires wear out so fast in 5000-6000 miles !? I have also noticed the car shimmies slightly in rainy condictions which also leads me to believe that the tires are in fact going bad. Could I have also purchased counterfeit Michelins unbeknownst to me??? Thank you all for your input!
Have you had the alignment checked?
I purchased my car with uneven wear showing on the front and rear tires and lots of noise coming from them. After an alignment the tires still show an even wear pattern after 12,000+ miles. I did not need any changes from the OEM parts to get the correct settings, some do it would appear.
Some alignment shops cannot do the rear tires because they lack the proper equipment.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your reply Sirharper- I don't see any unsusual wearing on the edges of the tire, it just seems like an overall wear

Old 11-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I do not notice any uneven wear from alignment or inflation issues. The tires just seem to generally be wearing poorly all around. The grooving is way less than the 1/4" (or about) that was on there when I first purchased them new.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wear is even not sure what to tell you. Any construction in your area? A road I travel daily was under construction for 18mo. and I noticed in that time my tread life was cut in half. Road was very course.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Could just be the tire, they may be all seasons but they carry the super sport name. I know for a factor the super sport cup tires you can eat them up in 3,000 miles. If your looking for a decent all season tire ive been happy with the conti d/w/s extremecontact all season. Ive gotten more than 5k out of them with no uneven wearing.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far. I do not notice any uneven wear from alignment or inflation issues. The tires just seem to generally be wearing poorly all around. The grooving is way less than the 1/4" (or about) that was on there when I first purchased them new.
Performance tires = grip and grip = faster wear compared to regular higher mileage tires.
When buying tires you can get an idea of the mileage you will get if you go to the Tire Rack web site.
If you look back on this forum you will find others have had the same low mileage from these or similar editions of this tire.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM

I understand the performance aspect of the tire, but 7000 miles of wear is not advertised on the Michelin for this tire. UPDATE. I spoke with the installer and they are giving me a 80% pro rate on a brand new set of tires no hastle! I would be extremely wary (no pun intended)of buying these tires in the future (esp online) and installing them myself without having a shop to back me up and me having to eat the cost of shipping back old defective tires. Thank you all for your prompt responses!

Old 11-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

(esp online) and installing them myself without having a shop to back me up and me having to eat the cost of shipping back old defective tires.
There are exceptions to that. If it wasn't for TireRack, I would have ate the cost of GY Eagles. The local GY Dealer had no information on bad GY Eagle issues. Yet TireRack replaced them with any tire I choose plus paid for the return costs AND gave me $100 check to help with installation costs.

TireRack has more power than the local GY Dealers due to volume sales ...

James

Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My Michelin Pilot Sports lasted 24,000 miles which is about average for my car. They would have lasted longer but I hadn't installed the adjustable camber arms yet.

I expect my Kuhmo Ecsta to last longer according to how they are wearing now.

James

Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pirelli P zeros on the rear here and they have 1mm left on the insides after only 20k kms , thats 12000 miles.
The front tyres are doing somewhat better.
Sticky tyres but expensive at this rate.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Pirelli P zeros on the rear here and they have 1mm left on the insides after only 20k kms , thats 12000 miles.
The front tyres are doing somewhat better.
Sticky tyres but expensive at this rate.

DO NOT KNOW SPECIFICALLY, but... I just got a NHTSA warning about Pirelli tires being recalled. Go to the NHTSA website and look up by tire brand sizes, for the number and sizes of Pirelli tire recalls. The link is ( Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) ).

Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
DO NOT KNOW SPECIFICALLY, but... I just got a NHTSA warning about Pirelli tires being recalled. Go to the NHTSA website and look up by tire brand sizes, for the number and sizes of Pirelli tire recalls. The link is ( Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) ).

Oh not again Thanks for that.
I had a look there and the regular P-Zero Pirellis i have are not listed as recalled .

daym it .

Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Oh not again Thanks for that.
I had a look there and the regular P-Zero Pirellis i have are not listed as recalled .

daym it .

I did not do that to rain on any ones parade, I had thought it would be best to let you know and anyone else thinking of buying a recalled tire set.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I did not do that to rain on any ones parade, I had thought it would be best to let you know and anyone else thinking of buying a recalled tire set.

Not at all ,its great info to know ,thank you .
i was attempting to be funny, it didnt work

Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

I must be extremely lucky because I got my Crossfire with 17,000 miles nearly 10 years ago and now have 105,000 miles and have NEVER had an alignment done
My sets of tires have given me 20,000 to 30,000 miles without any uneven wear
I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone claim this but I assure you I am being totally honest with all of you.
I run the Hankook's .....Summer Tires......not even an expensive tire but smooth and quiet with plenty of grip for my NA
I also prefer the 285/35/19 on the rears !!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 PM

well i got 5000 KMs out of a pair of kuhmos on the rear on mine but it was the first couple of months owning and lots of playing lol.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pop49
well i got 5000 KMs out of a pair of kuhmos on the rear on mine but it was the first couple of months owning and lots of playing lol.
We need video !

Old 12-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The rescue srt had new Michelin Pilot Sports on it and I just picked up a set of rear new SRT rimmed rears at the boneyard for under 400 with pilot sports on them. Rubber wear indicators were fresh so they should ride nice like the other full set.

Last edited by Fla_Xfire_SRT; 12-07-2016 at 02:28 PM.