Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hot laps at the race track!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot laps at the race track!!!

We had our GTG in Orlando last night at the Orlando Speedway. We were there to do the parade lap before the races started and we got several bonuses last night. The track is a banked 1/2 mile paved oval track that all the locals race on. There were six of us last night from around the state. I talked to the guy running the show last night and asked if we could take a couple of extra laps before the races started while we were out there for the pace lap. He said sure, not a problem. We head onto the track by ourselves and after about 2 laps at a bit of speed he came out with the pacer that they use for all the races. He took the speed up quite a bit to the point that we were just starting to drift all fours in the turns. We followed each other for 3-4 laps and then we pulled up so that the national anthem could be played. They started the music and we took two slower laps while the music played. When that was done the guy led us on some more hotter laps around the track. We ran maybe 5 more laps following him again. When that was done we pulled back into the pit area and we were all grinning from ear to ear so much. What a blast that was!!! We talked abut our track time and watched a bunch of short qualifier races and we were still talking about our laps. The guy came back up to me after all the qual's were done and asked if we wanted to go back out again. Like, YEAH!!! We quickly round up and head out, they had someone that was going to take some pics of us on the track. We did a lap and a half slow while she's clicked off some shots. This time it was just the six of us, no pacer, no one else. I'm leading this time and as I come out of the last turn I see the flag guy waving the green flag at me and the other guy standing next to him waving his arm to GO. So I nailed it. We start to really push it this time. He give us another 5 laps and we are running hard. I'm pushing my SRT fast enough that I am sliding all fours through the turns. I'm putting it to the floor down the straights and I'm following the track line more that the racers were running. I only had the TC kick in once on the last lap because I saw the guy waving the checkered flag and I took my foot of the gas as I was coming out of the last turn. I finished with one reduced speed lap and then back to the pits we all went. I know I could have pushed it harder around the track, braking a bit deeper and harder into the turns, but it was an incredible time last night. I'd like to thank all that showed up and I can't wait till we go again. We were invited back to pace again any time. I was really amazed at how well my SRT handled that track. I never felt like the back was going to come around on me, or that the car was being pushed too hard. This car had a lot more left.

I have a 4 minute video of our last run that I'll try to post on here. I also have some short takes of the different cars that were running last night.

To all those around the state that missed out on this GTG, you missed out on a wonderful experience. We will do this again, maybe next month.

John

Old 10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hot laps at the race track!!!

Sounds like this was an awesome experience! How fast did you get it up to?

Old 10-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

John, thanks again for arranging that whole evening. I don't think anything could be more fun than those hot laps. And the folks at the speedway were just incredible and made us feel welcome. I'm ready to do that again...now we just have to find a 1 mile track!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by midnightman
Sounds like this was an awesome experience! How fast did you get it up to?
I don't know if John looked...I know that I didn't as I was too busy watching the track and everyone else. But it was an incredible rush. I pretty much ran in third gear the whole time and just as I was about to max out, it was time to back off for the turns. I would guess mid - 60's or a little better average, which isn't too bad for a bunch of amateurs on a half mile track. We were able to get in it pretty good on the straights but they were awfully short.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like fun, but I have a couple of comments...

What kind of injury/damage release form did you have to sign to let them lead you around on hot laps were you were almost drifting in the curves? I bet their insurance company wouldn't have been too thrilled had there been a mishap while you guys were roaring around the track.

As for still going around the track while the national anthem was being played, I'm sorry to say, that was very disrespectful and in bad taste... next time you are at an event or watch one on TV, notice how everything comes to a halt while our national anthem is played.

Anyway, glad you had fun and can't wait to see the video.

Last edited by ben47; 10-15-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
Sounds like fun, but I have a couple of comments...

What kind of injury/damage release form did you have to sign to let them lead you around on hot laps were you were almost drifting in the curves? I bet their insurance company wouldn't have been too thrilled had there been a mishap while you guys were roaring around the track.

As for still going around the track while the national anthem was being played, I'm sorry to say, that was very disrespectful and in bad taste... next time you are at an event or watch one on TV, notice how everything comes to a halt while our national anthem is played.

Anyway, glad you had fun and can't wait to see the video.
Sorry you find parading the flag disrespectful, but it was in fact, done in very good taste. A huge flag was paraded around the track at very slow speed while the anthem was played over the PA system. We followed double-file behind the safety vehicle and pace truck, with more safety vehicles behind us. We even had a fly-over afterwards...though that was not planned, just some aircraft flying over. We aren't talking Talladega here.

And we signed the normal release when we entered the track. Thank goodness there are still places like this that those of us that choose to participate can go to for a wonderful/unforgettable evening. Yeah, we took some chances, and the thought was constantly in my mind to not lose it and smack the wall, but sometimes you just have to live life as it is presented to you. I wouldn't have missed it for all the release forms in the world.

It was a rush!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular

On the fastest laps at the end I was hitting right at 80 on the short straight.

Waiver? Insurance forms? LOL!!!

During the anthem they had someone in a reassure car carry a US flag leading us, we had the tow truck, the fire rescue truck, the pacer, and the six of us. We just took two slow laps around the track.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

My little Roadster handled like a dream!!! It was amazingly the most AWESOME experience of my life in a car and I'm ready to do it again next month! The second time we got the invite to go out and race again, it was a no brainer... It felt sooooo great to really feel how well the car holds its own going in to sharp curves. The car handled like a dream!!! The first time we went out there, I did it with the top down and it was amazing - but interestingly enough, they were not going to let me go out there without a roll bar on my car, but we pointed out that it did have one, so I was fine.
The second time out, I had the top up and it felt just as amazing. I hugged corners to test the cars ability to do just that and it impressed me - everything we have been told about these cars is true. I now know my car can handle curves and corners just fine - I trust my car in a way I did not before this event. However, my traction control did flash a few times going in to those curves!

Regarding the comment on the forms, we only signed in at the gate - other then that, I believe it was a matter of trust and they probably would not have allowed us to open up if we were young kids. In saying that, they had kids driving cars that were as young as 8 and we befriended this boy, Austin, who is 13 and drives a stick Mustang and impressed us all in his driving abilities! A 15 year old girl kicked the butts of some boys in a mini ZZ Top type race car. Ok, we were in the middle of Redneck-ville, but they made us feel so welcome that you could not help but look past all of that and I know I feel fortunate to have made the acquaintance of those people. The comments and looks our cars got made us feel very special.

The little boy made a cute observation when he first saw our cars "you have a million dollars worth of cars right here in the middle of penny and dime cars" .

Regarding the comment about how we were disrespectful during the anthem - they had the flag on the back of the pacer and we followed his lead. Disrespectful? It might have been more disrespectful of us to have not followed their tradition of opening the races with cars going around the track. I know in other situations, I would have not moved, but in this instance, we followed his lead. Sorry that you found that wrong - but I chose to not question what our host was asking us to do.

Thanks to everyone for an amazing time and I still get a sh&t eating grin just thinking about the rush of last night!! I am ready to do it again - any takers for their offer to do it again the day after Thanksgiving at their Redneck Rodeo?

I will post our pictures later today... and cannot wait to see the video of the hot Crossfires going around the track!!! Woo woo!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular

Another bonus was that we were in the pit area all night and it cost us nothing to get in, instead of the $25 pit area fee. We had so many of the races come over and talk to us about our Crossfires. We also got to mingle with all racers and talk to them about there toys. Everyone was very very nice!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: Hot laps at the race track!!!

For anyone interested, here are some pictures of the proud owners/racers prior to the races where we met up and then us lined up right at the entrance to the track itself - prime real estate and tons of exposure.

Guys, if you want me to email any of them to you, PM me with your email address and I will send them.

Thanks again for a very memorable evening!!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ry.php?cat=598

Old 10-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

Okay, I stand down on the disrespectful during the national anthem... I didn't know they displayed the flag on the pace car. Sorry, my mistake. The way I read it you guys were just out there buzzing around. It has been my experience that things came to a halt when the national anthem was played.

As for forms and insurance, I still can't understand how they let you do hot laps on their track without signing waivers or something.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great time, the pictures are nice and I would have loved to of been on the track too.

Last edited by ben47; 10-15-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see the video...

Glad everyone had a wonderful time... how many SRTs are there... looks like 4 or 5... ?

Did the roadster have a hard time keeping pace with the SRTs?

Old 10-15-2006, 03:46 PM

I am really looking forward to see the video. Pictures look great too. Like everyone else, I wish I was there.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see the video...
Glad everyone had a wonderful time... how many SRTs are there... looks like 4 or 5... ? Did the roadster have a hard time keeping pace with the SRTs?
3 SRTs, 2 Coupes and my lone Roadster. And the question about me having a hard time keeping up with the SRTs? Hhhmmm... lets just say that whatever headway any of the SRTs had on me, I made up for each time in the turns!

Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonaln67
3 SRTs, 2 Coupes and my lone Roadster. And the question about me having a hard time keeping up with the SRTs? Hhhmmm... lets just say that whatever headway any of the SRTs had on me, I made up for each time in the turns!
DISCLAIMER BEFORE VIDEO IS RELEASED!

Before video is released I was last...there I said it...lol. (I did have fun though). I was having a difficulty with my tires...I think my spacers were the culprit. When I got back today I immediately took it to a Tires Plus (place I had spacers put on) and explained to them what was occurring (tremble when reaching speeds of 90+) they believe it to be a balancing issue but did not have time to look at it today. So I've got to take it in tomorrow.

Sharonaln67 did her thing on the track though!

That wall sure does come up quick!

Hey Sharon...Bling! Bling! Think about it.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you guys and gals had a blast, It is amazing to experience what our cars are really capable of. Can't wait to see the video. Thumbs up to the track officials.
I wish I could been there...

Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

John,

I can't thank you enough for setting up the get together last night. It was like a mini SRT Experience, except we all saved $500! I look forward to getting together again, running some parade laps and then putting our cars (and our courage) to the test. Like Quentin said, that wall comes up on you pretty fast.

Kevin

Old 10-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

now that looks like a fun times.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done FLA team...what a great opportunity. Will look for the pics and movie...please list XF drivers and cars in the pics.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Forum Regular

I'm still working on trying to upload the video. I have a mini DVD camcorder and it recorded everything yesterday as one file. I have it loaded on to my hard drive now, but I can't get it split up into sections small enough to upload. I'll try something else tomorrow night. Sorry to everyone about the delay. The members who participated in the order that we finished our last hot laps:

The Toy -- Aero Blue SRT
nolexfire -- Black SRT
Sharonaln67 -- Yellow Roadster
Danimal -- SSB Coupe
Kjmurphy -- Graffite SRT
MrQue05 -- Black Coupe

Again, I'd like to say thanks to all that come and the dinner at the Longhorn Steakhouse before the race was great. After dinner we all followed closely behind each other for the 9-10 miles to the track.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to upload this Mini DVD to this forum, please PM me.

John

Quick Reply: Hot laps at the race track!!!