Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Spoiler stuck up

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler stuck up

Hi I have a problem with my spoiler it is stuck in the up position and the red light is flashing. when i go above 85 the car starts alarming. is this a mechanical or electrical problem and does anyone have a fix

Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler stuck up

Hard to say what is going on without actually taking it apart to diagnose. I can tell you that the spoiler will do goofy things when your battery is low or going bad. Is the battery original? Just a thought.

James

Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It must not be stuck at the full up position... the alarm you are getting at 85-90mph is supposed to happen if the wing is not deployed.....all the way. There is a sensor for all the way closed and max up... nothing in between.

James is likely on the right track for you......

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 AM

thanks for the quick response, i am the 2nd owner but it looks like the original battery to me. how much would a battery cost and is it specific to crossfire.
Also one of my friends reckons it could be mechanical and i should try WD40 on the scissor mechanism and push the wing down gently while holding the switch in the cockpit down. is that a good idea

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things here; Thing #1, have you tried to raise or lower the spoiler via the manual switch?
Thing #2, don’t use WD-40 use white grease (I use a spray can variety each time I change oil)

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildfire
thanks for the quick response, i am the 2nd owner but it looks like the original battery to me. how much would a battery cost and is it specific to crossfire.
Also one of my friends reckons it could be mechanical and i should try WD40 on the scissor mechanism and push the wing down gently while holding the switch in the cockpit down. is that a good idea
NO -- NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

Please don't do that.

A couple things. First, a battery is not more expensive than most -- about $90 bucks. Even if the battery checks out it may still be bad. Remeber, if you disconnect it a number of things may require resetting, and they are pretty easy. See threads on here for those.

WRT the spoiler, it's easy to get too the spoiler motor. A screw or two on the panel on the hatch and carful pop - off of the plastic cover. You can then grease, spray etc. the hinges AND check the motor to see if it is operational. I'd highly suggest you not force anything - but instead check the battery first and then check the spoiler second.

Hope it all works out.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude I have the exact same problem as you, My spoiler has been stuck in the up position for almost a year now lol, I replaced the battery with a new one to no avail...

If you get it sorted please let me know... so i can actually start to see what's in the rear window!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

no....don't listen to your friend....try the battery first....

Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular

An Aero Blue '08 Limited owner diagnosed the same problem on my SRT coupe

Seriously, if your battery is OEM white, it ain't right...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 PM

My spoiler began going up on start up when the car had sat overnight. I figured it was time to replace the original Varta battery in my 2004 Crossfire. This cured the problem, after getting a replacemnt from Sam's Club.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My spoiler is not stuck up at all. In fact, it is quite modest. [I am running the oem battery in my roadster with no problems and 36k miles.....yet.]

Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Talking Re: Spoiler stuck up

Originally Posted by mp3wizard
Dude I have the exact same problem as you, My spoiler has been stuck in the up position for almost a year now lol, I replaced the battery with a new one to no avail...

If you get it sorted please let me know... so i can actually start to see what's in the rear window!
Ok I have had a mechanic have a look and could not diagnose anything then he took a look at the motor under the spoiler located in the tailgate. he turned the motor with a small wrench and put the spoiler down manually.
he told me to come back tomorrow and te electrical gu ould have a proper look. but on the wa home i jumped on the motorway took thecar up to speed and the spoiler came up when i dropped below forty the spiler dropped as well. i repeated this 3 times and it seems ok hopefully that is it sorted.
the casing is easily removed take the screw out that is located in the handle of the tailgate and the bottom section covering the motor will just pop off.
hpe this helps.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Excellent, thanks for the post, I shall try the same at somepoint... fingers crossed

Old 06-23-2011, 10:30 PM

i got a problem any can help me, my spoiler goes up like normal, then when i reduce speed to the limit the spolier comes down, but then comes up again and stays there until I turn off the car and the put it down manually with the button

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM

and for your question, have you checked the microswitch? mine had the metalic thing that presses the witch broken and my spoiler was stuck up.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by sorisolares
and for your question, have you checked the microswitch? mine had the metalic thing that presses the witch broken and my spoiler was stuck up.
What is the microswitch?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
What is the microswitch?
Okay, I'll take the bait and assume it's an honest question...lol...

MicroSwitch is a general term for a small electrical switch that can be activated easily to break (open or close) an electrical circuit.

For the gory details see this link:

Miniature snap-action switch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 AM

ok, so I lowered the spoiler manually, and it deployed fine at speed, but it won't go back down and the button keeps flashing again, I'm going to lower it manually again and try the buttons and see what happens, it just seems to have a problem coming back down...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kodebuster
Okay, I'll take the bait and assume it's an honest question...lol...

MicroSwitch is a general term for a small electrical switch that can be activated easily to break (open or close) an electrical circuit.

For the gory details see this link:

Miniature snap-action switch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks bud. It was an honest question. Otherwise I'll use the ""
I need a new motor.. Mine is toast..

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Hi I have a problem with my spoiler it is stuck in the up position and the red light is flashing. when i go above 85 the car starts alarming. is this a mechanical or electrical problem and does anyone have a fix
Read this thread with interst this past week-end. Hadn't had this issue with my roadster but I try to read all I can to educate myself since I hate surprises.
Well yeasterday evening I was doing a little dusting under the hood. A neighbor was walking his dog and saw me and being he is an avid Mopar fa
stopped to get a gander. He had lots of questions and was knowledgeable about the car. He asked me about the spoiler so I put it up for him. Asked about the top so I put it down. After he left I put the top up and got out to put the cover on and realized the spoiler was still up so I got back in started the engie and the spoiler wouldn't go down. Nothing I tried short of taking it apart worked. So this morning I took it out on the interstate and at one point I was doing 80 and when I exited the spoiler stayed up.
When I got home I planned to return to this thread to see what I was going to do next. Just for the hell of it I put the top down then I hit the spoiler down button and down it went. I don't know but I guess SEQUENCE matters to these little buggers. I love all the idiosyncrasies. Although frustrating at times, it's fun to just to work things out.
This was my experience today and I know there will be more puzzels. Thanks to the best auto owners web site in the world! Thanks Crossfire Forum!

Quick Reply: Spoiler stuck up