Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies

Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I'm sorry, but this is bunk. Read the posts within the thread:

Headlight cracks from overlays/protection film - MY350Z.COM Forums

And you will find that the lenses they are speaking of a very thin, flexible sheets. Not the PMMA (or Lexan/polycarbonate) that we use.

And they are also speaking of colored overlays. I have Lamin-X on mine and will swear by it.

Just an opinion.
I did mention the film is "touted" by many individuals. I, for one, just didn't want to take the risk. My post was intended to convey that there are many, many reports of this occurring. Who knows, but why chance it when you have $500 a piece lenses and there are other ways to prevent hazing.

Just trying to provide a fellow forum member with a suggestion since he just paid a lot of money for some new headlights.

Lamin-X may have cracked my headlights - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Headlight Spider Web Cracks - Corvette Forum

Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max,

Let me know if you need a hand with the headlights, when I got my '04 they were bad so we tore them out and spent a day wetsanding and applying fresh clear at my friend's body shop. They turned out nicer than new...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Max,

Let me know if you need a hand with the headlights, when I got my '04 they were bad so we tore them out and spent a day wetsanding and applying fresh clear at my friend's body shop. They turned out nicer than new...
Thanks, bud! Why don't you just come on down and take a look?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks, bud! Why don't you just come on down and take a look?
Would love to, especially with this midwest wet, cold weather, but we are getting ready to go to Florida instead

Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Would love to, especially with this midwest wet, cold weather, but we are getting ready to go to Florida instead
Have you looked at a map?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Have you looked at a map?
No, they don't have those at Purdue

We are flying.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM

[quote=blackbelt_010892]
Originally Posted by alaxfire
Want to sell those old horribly aged and unusable headlights ?
Maxcichon and myself might be able to bring them back to life and then rescue some other poor Crossie soul that has lost one or the other.[/QUOTE}]

Unfortunately the dealer disposed of them

JUST PLAYING... They are currently sitting in the "new" OEM boxing, bubble wrapped and waiting for a new home. Anyone who is serious about restoring them back to working order send me a PM.
Those can be brought back like new , should have saved the money ,

Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=hcarter]
Originally Posted by blackbelt_010892

Those can be brought back like new , should have saved the money ,
My reason for replacing the assemblies was not solely for a cosmetic refresh. There is a build up of corrosion, as well as worn conductive contacts within both assemblies. I was posing a hazard to both myself and others on the road with not having either of my front turn signals working, little lone not passing future state inspections. The passenger blinker as been a problem for more than a year now. During that time I the problem had been looked at by multiple dealers, several specialty import mechanics, as well as a relative whom is an electrician. If individual pieces of the assembly were availble to order, instead of just the assembly as a whole the cheaper fix would be a more likely possibility.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 PM

[quote=blackbelt_010892]
Originally Posted by hcarter

My reason for replacing the assemblies was not solely for a cosmetic refresh. There is a build up of corrosion, as well as worn conductive contacts within both assemblies. I was posing a hazard to both myself and others on the road with not having either of my front turn signals working, little lone not passing future state inspections. The passenger blinker as been a problem for more than a year now. During that time I the problem had been looked at by multiple dealers, several specialty import mechanics, as well as a relative whom is an electrician. If individual pieces of the assembly were availble to order, instead of just the assembly as a whole the cheaper fix would be a more likely possibility.
If they have corroded contacts I understand your thinking .

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just checked the price at the dealer in Texas I buy my mopar parts from, www.mopar2u.com, left headlight assembly is $469.20 & right assembly is $444.00 = $913.20 plus shipping for both.

I have purchased parts from this authorized dealer several times for my Chryslers in CA & my son's Dodge truck in AZ. Even my local mechanic in San Jose now gets his mopar parts from that dealer

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM

Great info. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Does anyone have an idea why the left headlight assembly costs $25 more than the right headlight assembly???

Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by sjcrossfire
Does anyone have an idea why the left headlight assembly costs $25 more than the right headlight assembly???
I would assume supply and demand, and the fact that I'm sure the assemblies have been bought and sold several times by the time they make there way over from Europe. I would highly doubt that they are kept together as a pair once they are manufactured at the OEM site.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbelt_010892
I would assume supply and demand, and the fact that I'm sure the assemblies have been bought and sold several times by the time they make there way over from Europe. I would highly doubt that they are kept together as a pair once they are manufactured at the OEM site.
Working in SCM, I see many factors that affect the volume of headlights. But, projected VORQ (vendor order replacement quantity) can make the biggest impact. It's highly possible that, initially, the headlights were the same cost, as the tooling for both is identical.

Statistically, more RH headlights die an untimely death each year than LH lights (depth judgment of the average American driver is poor... RH light is farthest away). Since more of them are replaced, the set price point can be lower because, for each die setup you sell X number of units. For the LH, it's X-y therefore the price must be artificially inflated to recoup the difference in sales volume. Assuming a $5,000 setup cost per retooling for each run, the 25 RH headlights will be sold for less $$$ than the 20 LH headlights that were produced.

If you simply make the same number of each, you risk losing valuable PDC inventory space by having to stock large volumes of a slow-mover. Slow-moving parts (Stock Code 4 @ Nissan) are the money-suckers of any PDC operation, as the usable storage space is cluttered and the fast-movers must sit on a trailer for additional hours, as opposed to being off-loaded and imposted into the PDC's inventory, and ultimately fast-flowed out of the building to the dealers (sales).

Hope that made sense

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks JHM2K, that does make sense.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Working in SCM, I see many factors that affect the volume of headlights. But, projected VORQ (vendor order replacement quantity) can make the biggest impact. It's highly possible that, initially, the headlights were the same cost, as the tooling for both is identical.

Statistically, more RH headlights die an untimely death each year than LH lights (depth judgment of the average American driver is poor... RH light is farthest away). Since more of them are replaced, the set price point can be lower because, for each die setup you sell X number of units. For the LH, it's X-y therefore the price must be artificially inflated to recoup the difference in sales volume. Assuming a $5,000 setup cost per retooling for each run, the 25 RH headlights will be sold for less $$$ than the 20 LH headlights that were produced.

If you simply make the same number of each, you risk losing valuable PDC inventory space by having to stock large volumes of a slow-mover. Slow-moving parts (Stock Code 4 @ Nissan) are the money-suckers of any PDC operation, as the usable storage space is cluttered and the fast-movers must sit on a trailer for additional hours, as opposed to being off-loaded and imposted into the PDC's inventory, and ultimately fast-flowed out of the building to the dealers (sales).

Hope that made sense
I'll bite for the headlights, but what say you 'bout the pillar panels? Hmm, possible conspiracy against left side parts?

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Pillars rocker and floor - Parts.com

Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Does anyone know the difference between a code 'YAB' and a code '8DE' headlight assembly ?
How can you tell which one you have in your car ?
I have had both assemblies out, and can't find a code like that on either one.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I'll bite for the headlights, but what say you 'bout the pillar panels? Hmm, possible conspiracy against left side parts?

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Pillars rocker and floor - Parts.com
Now that, I have no clue.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM

I just had the valve cover gaskets replaced under warranty - guess what, I checked the part prices online and the left valve cover gasket is priced higher than the right gasket. Is this some sort of anti-left conspiracy?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sjcrossfire
I just had the valve cover gaskets replaced under warranty - guess what, I checked the part prices online and the left valve cover gasket is priced higher than the right gasket. Is this some sort of anti-left conspiracy?
That's a good question unless it is a political one.

Quick Reply: Forked over the cash for new Headlight Assemblies