Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Front license poll: yes or no?

Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license poll: yes or no?

My car came with the front plate bracket in the back hatch, knowingly, they will have to DRILL into the front bumper where there are no holes or guides to mount the front plate = yikes!!! What if they drill them crooked??? What have you done = front plate or no front plate???

Old 08-01-2004, 02:14 AM

A resounding NO. A matter of fact, the state of Illinois requires you have a plate on the front and back. To hell with them!

Old 08-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Forum Regular

In the UK we don't have a choice. They have to be on the front and back and the dealers do this for you. When I test drove one it still had the plate holder in the boot and was surprised myself they had to drill the holes. But they seem to have done a good job on it anyway.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hate to have them drill the front of mine. Soooo I carry the front plate with me, just in case I get stopped.

If I do get stopped, I am going to ask, if we could do the front plate out of vinyl. We can make it look just like the real one!

Old 08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front license poll: yes or no?

Originally Posted by X-LR8
My car came with the front plate bracket in the back hatch, knowingly, they will have to DRILL into the front bumper where there are no holes or guides to mount the front plate = yikes!!! What if they drill them crooked??? What have you done = front plate or no front plate???
My dealer installed that bracket crooked. :cry:

My state (VA) requires a front plate. No choice in the matter. If TX law requires a front plate, I guess you can take your chances by not installing the bracket (pleading "there's nowhere to put a front plate") and hope a cop doesn't cite you anyway.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mine is on straight. In fact mine was placed correctly - I have seen to many mounted too high up and not below the bend where it should be. I took it off and put some plugs in to get some estimates when I bought it to fill in the holes and paint them... After two estimates, (about a week with plugs) I got pulled over for no front plate...

In texas I believe you can stick them in the front window (I think it states it has to be able to be seen from the front of the vechile - not attached to the front, but not postive). The problem is that as curved as our windshield is, it does not work well and may scratch something.

I still think I may yank it off again and fabricate a way for it to attach to the passanger visor, that way i can just flip it down when passing throught the pickey counties and have it look normal for show.

-marc

Old 08-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Front license poll: yes or no?

Originally Posted by X-LR8
View my topic in Technical & Modifications about this exact thing... Here's the link
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...343&highlight=

Old 08-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

I better cross post this from https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...pic.php?t=2343 as the orginal poster is from Texas:

Unfortunantly that work work for us in Texas. In texas the law is that you have to see the state name on the plate.

Senate Bill 439, Section 502.409 of the Transportation Code states that any bracket or frame such as dealership, sports team and/or college alumni that covers any portion of the word Texas or any numbers of the plate can now fine the driver $200.

Secondly in texas there is now a second law which states that you cannot put anthing on or around it that may distract from the numbers or distort it (clear covers, neon, etc)

relating to an offense involving a motor vehicle with an altered or
obscured license plate.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. The heading to Section 502.409, Transportation
Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED
[UNCLEAN] LICENSE PLATE.
SECTION 2. Subsection (a), Section 502.409, Transportation
Code, is amended to read as follows:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or
displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia
that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor
vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than
the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has letters, numbers, or other identification
marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly
visible at all times during daylight;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or [is a]
sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by
law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or
numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is
registered; or
(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material
that:
(A) distorts angular visibility or
detectability; or
(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on
the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design
feature of the plate.
SECTION 3. (a) The change in law made by this Act applies
only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this
Act. For the purposes of this section, an offense is committed
before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense
occurs before that date.
(b) An offense committed before the effective date of this
Act is governed by the law in effect when the offense was committed,
and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.
There are somethings in the works that keep going up to the state to remove this stupid law... along with it goes 4.5 million in savings to the state to only issue one plate rather then two...

-marc

Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 PM

In MA, if you get new plates, reserved plates or vanity plates (initials, names, etc.), you have to have a front plate. If you have an old plate, you don't have to. I have a plate that is 20 years old and I just keep transferring it from vehicle to vehicle so I don't have to have a front plate.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiser
I would hate to have them drill the front of mine. Soooo I carry the front plate with me, just in case I get stopped.

If I do get stopped, I am going to ask, if we could do the front plate out of vinyl. We can make it look just like the real one!
wow, that's exactly what I do! Of course I don't have a crossfire but same thing

Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no plate or holes for me....what a way to ruin a beautiful front end. it's required in my state as well...i have been pressing my luck for 10 years in ohio...a couple warnings here and there but no tickets so far...knock on wood :wink:

the best line for the officer...the car was dealer traded from a state which did not require a front license plate and my local dealer has the bracket on order.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:11 PM

This will probably sound like a stupid idea and is probably illegal, but what about photo copying the plate onto a sheet of poster board and laminating it. Due to it being light and bendable (with quality velcro) = mount it to the bumper! I know ... I know :roll: = but if the state lifts the front plate rule ... a hair dryer would be all that's needed to remove the velcro strips with a little cleaning up afterwards and walla = no holes!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No front plate for me!! If Oklahoma and Arkansas can freely go without them then I will also. I hate dumbass laws like front plates. I never see vettes with them either. BTW, sorry 'bout the large photo

Old 08-11-2004, 01:16 AM

Even though Mexican state laws require cars to have both plates on I never put the front one on my cars.

I get a ticket form time to time, but I think it worth it.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:07 PM

In the province of Alberta, Canada front plates are not required. They removed the requirement several years ago to reduce cost.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CalgaryX
In the province of Alberta, Canada front plates are not required. They removed the requirement several years ago to reduce cost.
That was VERY smart .... now why can't all the states see it the same way? I guess NV has so many prisoners, it has to do something redundant to keep them busy. :wink:

Old 08-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Front plates are not required in Kentucky so No Way! But I'm moving to Houston in a few weeks. I don't plan on putting it on there either! I'll pay the fine. I don't want to mess up the front of the car.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 AM

It is strange but prior to reading this thread I had not even considered the plate issue a problem to solve. But as I looked at several galleries on this forum, many of the pictures were san front plates. And yes the car does look better without.

There is little chance of driving in Korea without Front Plates. The Korean government has installed high resolution cameras that snap your front cars license plate if you are driving over the speed limit. The picture is then sent to your local district office and a bill is sent to your registration address. Pay the bill quickly and get a better rate. Forget and the charges double weekly. Yes, those roadway cameras work well even in the dead of night. Worst part is that you may be driving on a back country road and all of a sudden you are hit with a blinding flash.

Caught in the act! Cost ,about $45 dollars for 10km over the limit.

That's driving in Korea.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:30 PM

Front Plates are not required in Arizona. However, if you order vanity plates you get two... but only one set of month and year validation stickers. :roll: :? :roll: I have one on the rear of the car and one nailed to the wall of the garage. I sure hope that's legal

Old 08-16-2004, 02:35 AM

Screw front license plates. Colorado, like many states, require a front plate. Hah! All of my cars have never had a front license plate. If your worried about tickets when your car is parked, bring your front plate with you and place it on the dash. This has worked for me for several years. Never a ticket!

Quick Reply: Front license poll: yes or no?