Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Saved by the tire sensor - Great Service

Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saved by the tire sensor - Great Service

Driving back from Atlantic City to Rochester NY I noticed the low tire pressure light was on. I stopped at the first Service station and found the rear passenger tire was low. I added air but the indicator came on again after about 60 miles. I knew then I had a real problem. After two more stops I made it to Cortland (NY) Chrysler-Dodge. 25 minutes later I was on the road with the tire repaired. I had run over a piece of a wheel weight. Although the dealer was not my dealer they treated me like I was their best customer. Without the sensor I could have ruined the tire by running it too low and without the excellent service from Cortland Chrysler-Dodge I might still be in Cortland NY.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 AM

Good save. Well done.

I had my tire sensor come on once. By the time I saw it I was already trailing gray smoke. Don't know which came first but my suspicion is that the sensors had triggered and I failed to notice the warning. My warning light is hid behind the steering wheel. So train yourself to glance at it occaisonally or be prepared for the consequences.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:17 AM

The tire and wheel issue is a major concern in Korea. It will not be easy to replace those wheels and tires; perhaps two weeks through APO system, hugh tax issues through the Korean Shipping methods. I can plan to pay an additional 25% on US retail if I purchase through the local Chrysler Dealer.

What is the clearance on the Crossfire? Has anyone had experience with speed bumbs and bottoming out the car. How do the tires/wheels suspension handle the bumbs?

Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 PM

I have bottomed out twice. Neither was on Speedbumps. So far, all the speedbumps I crossed have been lower than my clearance (and I go over quite a few).

The two time I have rubbed have been due to very steep hills:

1) Radio Sack (Scatterfield & Mounds Rd in Anderson, IN... beware) up on a hill with a very steep entrance. I rubbed as soon as I started up the entrance. Luckily, I had the radio down and heard it right away. Backed off and came in at an exagerated angle, no problem.

2) My dad's brand new driveway (first weekend I had the car). As soon as the front tires hit the level part of the drive the middle of the car hit (too sharp an angle on the transition). I was soo PO'ed I backed off and drove through the nice wet lawn, and cursed at my parents in greeting. :evil: Ended up convincing him to tear up the end and re-pave the incline at a lower/longer angle that weekend.

Speedbumps are all different. But, from chrysler's website:
"Ground Clearance (at curb weight) [in]=4.9"

So, I'm certain it won't take long to find one 5 inches or so that does rub.