Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Manual Transmissions-Good or Not?

Old 01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Manual Transmissions-Good or Not?

Hi all. I have read some of the comments here about the manual 6 speed gearbox that talk about "the car popping out of first and third gear...". This is news to me as my personal experience with the manual 6, as well as what I have read elsewere presents a very flattering review of the manual. My only comment about the manual is that getting it into first is sometimes a challenge as the car has a long throw clutch. What has your experience been?

Thanks

MiamiCrossFire

Old 01-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Manual Transmissions-Good or Not?

The clutch is very long. My other car that I have really driven was an Evo. In comparison, the Crossfire's clutch offers more feedback, but it is very demanding to make smooth take offs. The car usually lurches a little even with a smooth clutch action.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:49 PM

I only drove a manual a few times (mine is auto). It definitely required more work than my previous WRX and Eclipse.
Also, a bit off note, my hand constantly flew off of the shifter and into the radio because of its silky/slippery material. Maybe that's just me though!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I have the 6 speed and have difficulty accelerating smoothly. Then again my other cars are all VW Bugs. The clutch on those are all cable opperated. My main problem is coming around corners in second and over powering the tires. Big jump from 60 hp to 215. hahahah

-Erick

Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It feels like the shifter goes straight through a bucket of gravel. I often have to shove it hard into first gear, as it doesn't want to go. I just force it in anyway. Yeah the 6 speed has advantages and disadvantages. It's fun, and it's good when you work it, but it can be touchy. And 1st gear is a pain in the ***.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Forum Regular

I agree the shift pattern is a bit long and you can definitely feel the gate going into 2nd. However, until a shorter shift kit is available, I have no issues with mine. The popping out of gear problem, I think seems to be an early model run problem from what I have seen on the forum. It appeared to have been a locking key problem.
I have my own thoughts about the jerky shifts. Mine is very smooth now but it came by getting used to the car. BUT I think that a lot of the jerky shifting is related to the pause in the throttle! I know what your thinking, but just think about it! If you quickly mash the gas, there is a distinct pause before it revs. All of us who are used to standards , automatically release the clutch hit the gas instinctively as we have on all our other cars, but the Xfires "pause" gives you the jerk. I've been told that the proper chip will remove the pause OR you just get used to it, as I have. I can shift very, very smoothly now, so when I get a chip, I'll probably have to train myself again.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks Bob G. What "chip" are you referring to?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MiamiCrossFire
Thanks Bob G. What "chip" are you referring to?
When I first purchased my Xfire I saw a company on line out of Florida which said that if you send them your ECU and they would re-chip it for faster throttle response and about 10-15 hp. I am assuming that they are referring to the chips that others have installed, from places like Powerchip and Upsolute. I have not heard from someone with a 6 speed and a chip, to see if this is true. So lets ask now! Has anyone done this mod on a standard, and is the throttle response quicker?
Other than that, you will get used to the split second delay and your shifts will be smooooooooth!!
Can't tell you how much I enjoy the 6 Speed!

Old 01-07-2005, 11:26 PM

I have a 6 speed and love it. Although getting into reverse almost seems more difficult than 1st. Is that normal or not (especially when cold)?

Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 PM

I had a 6-speed base coupe for a couple on months, and it was a blast, the shifter is a little notchey, and it did take a bit of effort to get it into 1st, but I never missed a shift. The clutch is long, but you get used to it. I have the automatic now, it performs well and will be great for 1.5 hour commute to school in the morning, but real sports cars have 3 pedals, and I know I will miss it when the sun comes back out in the spring. The 6-speed is the way to go, but the automatic is still great on its own merits.

DavesX-fire

Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Forum Regular

At the end of the day it is a Mercedes gearbox. Mercedes cars generally sell better with Auto gear boxes rather than manual. However for the full driving experience you should get a manual. I have the Auto and I'm happy with that.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Tried both at the dealer but felt the manual was more fun for twisty British roads. It allows you to hear the revs and control engine decleration better.

So far I have found it difficult to get into reverse in the cold weather we having. This is similar to my Z3 2.8 and the trick seems to be 1] foot down on clutch 2] dip into first 3] then go to reverse. Works a treat everytime which suggests to me it may have something to do with ring gear alignment as this is the same way on race car straight cut boxes to get into reverse.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TrevorP-UK
Tried both at the dealer but felt the manual was more fun for twisty British roads. It allows you to hear the revs and control engine decleration better.

So far I have found it difficult to get into reverse in the cold weather we having. This is similar to my Z3 2.8 and the trick seems to be 1] foot down on clutch 2] dip into first 3] then go to reverse. Works a treat everytime which suggests to me it may have something to do with ring gear alignment as this is the same way on race car straight cut boxes to get into reverse.
I agree and also I haven't had any issues with the 1st gear either, but I do have an old habit: I always go into 2nd before I go into 1st from a stop. It works!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:23 PM

I also have a 6 speed and it is a real hassle getting into 1st gear and reverse. 1st gear can be difficult and I am concerned the driver behind me will bump into me as it takes effort to put it in 1st. That is my biggest disappointment so far with the car.
bid d

Old 01-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by big D
I also have a 6 speed and it is a real hassle getting into 1st gear and reverse. 1st gear can be difficult and I am concerned the driver behind me will bump into me as it takes effort to put it in 1st. That is my biggest disappointment so far with the car.
bid d
big D There must be an adjustment in your linkage because what you describe is not at all like my 6 speed. Also try going into 2nd before 1st. At the very worst, my 1st gear shift is still quite easy. It's too bad you were not closer so I could compare the two. Maybe all the shifting issues are just an adjustment. As far as mine goes, it is a little longer throw compared to the Miata but it shifts great!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:56 AM

I've driven manual shift sports cars my whole life - from a '67 AH to a '98 328iC and this 6 speed rocks!!! First - the clutch is not long throw - if you depress it until you can slip the gear (just past 1/2) then travel another inch you can drop into the next gear. It seems to adjust to my driving style depending on how far down I push the clutch pedal. That fixes most of the jerk I generated on my test drive. Second - if 1st is too jerky, the engine can handle a 2nd gear start up to a minor hill. Third - with ANY performance manual transmission out there, it is easier to hit 1st after you align 2nd. Fourth - a standing start on anything other than perfect pavement will generate a hiccup with the traction control enabled as the computer kicks in. To get the feel for how hard to get on the gas through the shift, disengage the TCS on a wet road and figure out the clutch/gas feather with no traffic around. Finally - God bless Syncromesh, and if you don't know what that is, find a friend with a 60's manual trans and take a lesson...

-Ward

Old 01-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Hi All:

Thank you all for your informed responses. If Im getting this right then, the comment that with the manual 6 speed gearbox, "the car pops out of first and third gear..." is NOT true. Am I correct here?

Thanks

MiamiCrossFire

Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Thumbs up Re: Manual Transmissions-Good or Not?

OK Gnag!

So if I understand you all then, the manual transmission DOES NOT pop out of first and third. Am I right?

Thanks

MiamiCrossFire.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:21 PM

that seems to have been an issue on early cars and it seems to have been corrected on the '05's cuz my '05 has 12,500 miles free of that issue of the first gear popping out.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MiamiCrossFire
OK Gnag!

So if I understand you all then, the manual transmission DOES NOT pop out of first and third. Am I right?

Thanks

MiamiCrossFire.
It was an issue for a few guys, but again, earlier models which just needed a fix at the dealership. I have 11,000 klms and the 6 speed works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions-Good or Not?