Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Programming Skreem Module

Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Skreem Module

Hey folks,
Hope all of you had an Amazing Christmas and new year. Well my car started the whole start and die in a second. I already knew it was the Skreem module because it had all the symptoms and i tried everything else from checking RCM to crank sensor.
I took to a Chrysler dealership and they didn't even have the right software to connect to my car. Storyy short, they sent it to a Mercedes Benz dealership. I was able to swap out my old skreem and put the new skreem. They were able to connect to my car and it was throwing error about "Mobilizer ring" (the technician said that it is the key ring). They tried to program it and they couldn't enter the vin (because their computer couldnt let them do it). I had to tow it to another dealership that unfortunately after 4 days they are just finding out that the card they had for the crossfire is bad.

So where should i take this car to be programmed (been two different chrysler dealership here in des moines)?? Is their any special thing the benz people can do to program it?

Please help! My crossfire has been dead for a month now.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Programming Skreem Module

DRBIII is probably the only way.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 PM

Is that what the Chrysler dealership is using?

Can't the Benz dealership use something similar for programming?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If your Crossfire is a 2004 to 2006 you need to find a Chrysler dealer, or independent shop, that has a DRBIII scan tool. They also need the Crossfire card for the DRBIII and a special multiplexer cable used only with the Crossfire. It's very surprising to hear about a card going bad. I suspect they did not have or understand they need the cable. The DRBIII's are obsolete now. A dealer cannot buy the Crossfire multiplexer cable if they do not have one.

If your Crossfire is a 2007 or 2008 a DRBIII only has limited functionality on it. The original tool to work with the newer Can Bus Crossfires is the Chrysler Starscan. The Starscan also requires a special Crossfire only cable and it is also no longer available.

The current dealership scanner tool is called Witech. It will work on 2007 and 2008 Crossfire's, but not earlier model years.

Last edited by Toolman; 01-19-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM

I was also suprise to hear that their card/machine is having problem. Besically they plugged it in my car, and it starts and everything went off. The mercedez people didn't have any problems connecting to it and reading the codes. Mine is 2005. Long time ago i had to call Rudy to come from Chicago to program my ECU. So do you know what kind of independent shop i should be looking out for? Do you think i should ask other Chrysler dealerships around?

This is frustrating!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 PM

I would contact other Chrysler dealers and ask if they have a DRBIII with the Crossfire card and Multiplexer cable. The Witech system, with the DRBIII emulator, will not work with your year car.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:48 PM

I will do that tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the tips. If you think of any way Benz can do it, please also let me know. Because they are the only ones that seems to even know how to connect to it. All the Chrysler guys i sent it to, seem so clueless.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by cojoman
Hey folks,
Hope all of you had an Amazing Christmas and new year. Well my car started the whole start and die in a second. I already knew it was the Skreem module because it had all the symptoms and i tried everything else from checking RCM to crank sensor.
I took to a Chrysler dealership and they didn't even have the right software to connect to my car. Storyy short, they sent it to a Mercedes Benz dealership. I was able to swap out my old skreem and put the new skreem. They were able to connect to my car and it was throwing error about "Mobilizer ring" (the technician said that it is the key ring). They tried to program it and they couldn't enter the vin (because their computer couldnt let them do it). I had to tow it to another dealership that unfortunately after 4 days they are just finding out that the card they had for the crossfire is bad.

So where should i take this car to be programmed (been two different chrysler dealership here in des moines)?? Is their any special thing the benz people can do to program it?

There are companies that take your SKREEM unit and reprogram them using your VIN and key codes on record then return it to you in the mail.
It is possible that the electronics inside it are NFG and you will require a new or used one programmed for your car. You can buy the SKREEM unit on eBay for less that $40 and as long as it is not ruined it will work after reprogramming. The programming company may have a replacement if yours is cooked. The unit is like the key programming, it can only be done by certain bonded companies for the sake of security. Otherwise you get a programmed unit using a VIN of a car you want to steel and away you go. The unit stores the key codes that work.
I think that is the way it works if you cannot get any action with the battery disconnect trick.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-20-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Thanks for your input.
I took it to Chrysler and they actually ordered a brand new skreem module. After ordering it, they don't have the right machine to program it. I never knew about these companies that can program it for you. Is crazy Chrysler can't do anything for you when it comes to the crossfire. Do you know of any of these companies that can also program it for you even if i have to send over my keys?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Thanks for your input.
I took it to Chrysler and they actually ordered a brand new skreem module. After ordering it, they don't have the right machine to program it. I never knew about these companies that can program it for you. Is crazy Chrysler can't do anything for you when it comes to the crossfire. Do you know of any of these companies that can also program it for you even if i have to send over my keys?
According to this PDF document I have attached the dealer should be able to do the programming IF they have the correct equipment.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
chry-skim_initial.pdf (28.8 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
If your Crossfire is a 2004 to 2006 you need to find a Chrysler dealer, or independent shop, that has a DRBIII scan tool. They also need the Crossfire card for the DRBIII and a special multiplexer cable used only with the Crossfire. It's very surprising to hear about a card going bad. I suspect they did not have or understand they need the cable. The DRBIII's are obsolete now. A dealer cannot buy the Crossfire multiplexer cable if they do not have one.

If your Crossfire is a 2007 or 2008 a DRBIII only has limited functionality on it. The original tool to work with the newer Can Bus Crossfires is the Chrysler Starscan. The Starscan also requires a special Crossfire only cable and it is also no longer available.

The current dealership scanner tool is called Witech. It will work on 2007 and 2008 Crossfire's, but not earlier model years.
This information makes it sound like there should be differing part numbers for the modules on the '07s and '08s. Are they different? I don't recall any year specific modules.

Or is the communication protocol different? And what changed? See http://www.obdtester.com/obd2_protocols Shouldn't ANY ISO9141-2 device talk to the car?

Why the specific Chrysler tool by year?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 01-20-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:47 PM

The 2007 and 2008 Crossfires (US Market) have the Can-Bus communications protocol which the earlier Crossfires do not. Rather than me trying to explain what that is Wikipedia gives a good description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus The DRBIII is not a Can-Bus capable tool. The Starscan was developed for Can-Bus vehicles.

Even off the shelf OBDII scanners come Can-Bus or not capable. Off the shelf scanners read the majority of engine and emissions codes, however, manufactures can use different cable pins and diagnostic programming and codes for other modules in the car.

The Crossfires have the Mercedes SLK code and mixed in some Chrysler to make them unique to themselves. As we know with the Daimler Chrysler break up they became the unwanted step children. Most Chrysler mechanics do not have specific training on them or experience.

Last edited by Toolman; 01-21-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Hello guys,

I have called out 40 miles around me and it seems liike no one around knows a lot about crossfire. Actually i found myself educating them about what i need. No one has the crossfire card. I live in des moines iowa. They have the DRB111. So what should i do?
Benz already connected to it but couldnt programm it. I am running out of options. I asked around and they said that this security modules will need to be programmed on the car.

Any help would help at this point

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM

Hello guys,

I have called out 40 miles around me and it seems liike no one around knows a lot about crossfire. Actually i found myself educating them about what i need. No one has the crossfire card. I live in des moines iowa. They have the DRB111. So what should i do?
Benz already connected to it but couldnt programm it. I am running out of options. I asked around and they said that this security modules will need to be programmed on the car.

Any help would help at this point
My dealer is 80 miles away, fret not, keep calling.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 PM

The worse thing about it is after towing my car to the dealership they still don't know what is wrong with the car. The chrysler dealership has towed it to different places and after saying that they might work on it. When they toy the car to them all of a sudden their machine is not compatible.

It is frustrating.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 PM

The worse thing about it is after towing my car to the dealership they still don't know what is wrong with the car. The chrysler dealership has towed it to different places and after saying that they might work on it. When they toy the car to them all of a sudden their machine is not compatible.

It is frustrating.
I have emailed this company near me ( https://www.autokeypro.ca/dodge-chry...e-replacement/ ) to see if they can fix these modules. I'll get back with their reply.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey folks,

Dumb(?) question; I recall reading something about a security(?) "ring" that installs on the ignition switch, (maybe from onehundred80?). And when "sticky" switch is repaired/replaced, this ring must be correctly reinstalled. Is this any help?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
The 2007 and 2008 Crossfires (US Market) have the Can-Bus communications protocol which the earlier Crossfires do not. Rather than me trying to explain what that is Wikipedia gives a good description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus The DRBIII is not a Can-Bus capable tool. The Starscan was developed for Can-Bus vehicles.

Even off the shelf OBDII scanners come Can-Bus or not capable. Off the shelf scanners read the majority of engine and emissions codes, however, manufactures can use different cable pins and diagnostic programming and codes for other modules in the car.

The Crossfires have the Mercedes SLK code and mixed in some Chrysler to make them unique to themselves. As we know with the Daimler Chrysler break up they became the unwanted step children. Most Chrysler mechanics do not have specific training on them or experience.
Interesting, I just don't recall the entire bus system being different for the later years. All of the schematics I see show SCI transmit from all of the modules to the data link connector.

A simple check to see if the CAN bus is in use in a vehicle, and accessible via the OBD socket, is to connect a resistance meter across pin 6 and pin 14. Due to the combined resistance of the two termination resistors at 120 Ohms each the overall resistance should be read as 60 Ohms. And makes for a great troubleshooting tool when we know which modules have the termination resistors.

If the '07s and '08's are CAN bus then the entire wiring harness is different. This means CAN C bus would be on pins 6 & 14 to be OBD2 compliant. The schematic I have shows those pins are not even used.

Do you have 07 or 08 schematics available?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...DII_Pinout.jpg

Last edited by KDW4Him; 01-21-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be an option or may not. I have found someone who has a crossfire card for the DRBlll. He's trying to sell it for $125 +$6 for shipping, if your interested, shoot me a pm for info.
Sorry second hand information, I thought YOU had the scan tool with a bad card.

Last edited by Steve Jr; 01-21-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:32 AM

onehundred80--

Thanks so very much for the link. I opened the site and looks like they can do it without having the car present. I don't mind shipping my things to Canada so that they can do it for me.

lovecross--

I actually purchased brand new everything. Brand new skreem module, brand new keys and the o ring thing that goes around.

Quick Reply: Programming Skreem Module