Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed

well I finialy got around to installing my PTE Modded THERMOSTAT, if only we knew what this thermostat was going to do for us,, I would have installed it in the day i got it from Patrick ,, I have not set up the fan mod as of yet but almost don't need it , I am in south Florida where the temp stays above 80 and during the day lately we have had 95 degree temp. and my car stays one notch below the 1/2 mark.normal is one needle above the 1/2 mark being that i do not have the fan mod done yet after an hour of driving (city) my temp. goes back to factory setting,, but wait when the fan mod is in my temp will be one notch below the 1/2 mark all the time. right after the install i drove 62 miles to the track, tecked in and then let it cool,,, temp at the track was 84 degrees,, made 3 1/4 mile runs 12.71,, 12.76 ,, 12.78,, now my temp is comming up,, my last run was 13.01 the thing is this thing works to keep your car cooler and run stronger thanks patrick for this mod. jim

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c32-am...ermostats.html

Last edited by amx1397; 07-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed

Please tell me about the fan mod and how it is done, thanks, Woody

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed

Originally Posted by waldig
Please tell me about the fan mod and how it is done, thanks, Woody
woody. this one has directions

Dealer Refused 10c fan mod. - MBWorld.org Forums

also see:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...d-houston.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c32-am...c-fan-mod.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...-question.html

hope that helps!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put my PTE thermostat in this weekend. A lot messier than the last one I did in a '94 Vette.
I have not driven the car yet, but I have purged the air from the system (per waldig's clamp method and powering the i/c pump) and let it warm up numerous times to check everything.
The temp needle on mine has always resided right above the mid point of the gauge when warmed up. So far, there has been no change in where the needle sits, though I did notice that it takes longer to warm up.
Guess I'm trying to determine if the temp needle should be lower or not. In the Vette, the lower temp thermostat lowered the temperature when fully warm.
Wonder if InMotion can do the fan mod if I send my ECU in for a tune?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM

7/14/09 I installed my thermostat,, yesterday i was with (Wayne LET) and he did the mod on the fan,, My car warms up the the notch before 1/2 this takes about 15 to 20 min in 92 degree weather then it moves very slowly to a needle with below the 1/2 mark it now stays there most of the time,, running 70 on the highway it goes cooler ,,about 1/2 way between the 1/2 mark and the 1/4 mark,, so i am now happy with my thermostat and fan mod.. I will try to get some pic. jim

Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wayne also included my fan mod when I had it dyno tuned, which goes on when the temp hits 185 instead of the stock 195. What a big difference this has made. My car now stays below the halfway mark where before it was always above during the hot days.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Forum Regular

mines always just a tad above the 1/2 way mark in the heat. So this thermostat is still set at the stock temp? just has a hole drilled so its constantly leaking some? That sounds like trouble on colder nights you will throw a code, what we really need is a 180-175 factory replacement.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
mines always just a tad above the 1/2 way mark in the heat. So this thermostat is still set at the stock temp? just has a hole drilled so its constantly leaking some? That sounds like trouble on colder nights you will throw a code, what we really need is a 180-175 factory replacement.
The PTE thermostat is not a drilled unit. PTE takes 2 thermostats and makes one 180 degree unit.
I have not driven mine yet, but while idling, it appears to still reach right above the 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge.
True about the cold weather. I only drive mine in the summer so I didn't sweat that too much.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not concerned about water temps while stuck in traffic. (day to day driving) I care about the temps at wide open throttle at the track. Even without the fan reprograming, this thermostat will help keep the water temperature lower at speed. Hopefully having slightly cooler water temperature in the radiator will also help the transmission cooler keep things a few degrees cooler too. And my thermostat should arrive today! Any tips that prevent excessive spillage?

Les

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the fan kicking on at 185 degrees, 10 degrees sooner, no one needs an upgraded thermostat. Besides, an upgraded thermostat doesn't seem to work as well. So get the fan mod folks for the best result. Not sure if it can be done with the stock computer software though....

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
The PTE thermostat is not a drilled unit. PTE takes 2 thermostats and makes one 180 degree unit.
I have not driven mine yet, but while idling, it appears to still reach right above the 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge.
True about the cold weather. I only drive mine in the summer so I didn't sweat that too much.
with the FAN MOD you will run below the 1/2 mark, and mine in 92degree weather stays a notch below the 1/2 mark for 1/2 hour then moves to just below the 1`/2 one neddle with below the 1/2 way mark and this is 92 drgrees in traffic,, jim

Last edited by amx1397; 08-01-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
With the fan kicking on at 185 degrees, 10 degrees sooner, no one needs an upgraded thermostat. Besides, an upgraded thermostat doesn't seem to work as well. So get the fan mod folks for the best result. Not sure if it can be done with the stock computer software though....
I received my thermostat today! It's going in asap. I agree that lowering the temperature that the fan comes on is better in most situations than a lower thermostat, but I think doing both is much more effective than just one or the other. The search is on for a tech that will enable the fan at a lower temperature.

Les

Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM

L E T can do it and can put a tune on your car too jim

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Tell me about it! I want (need) a tune but I have reservations sending away my ECU. The mail to and from Puerto Rico is not the most reliable. But I'm giving it serious thought.

Les

Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM

find out what a new ecu would cost and insure it for that amount priority mail to let 2 to 3 days 16.00 next day about 60.00 insurance tracking # to amjerry ,, back by the end of the week,, did mine twice so far. list your mods and let them do a good tune on it along with the fan mod. jim

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

i just got mine in the mail today from patrick and can't wait to install it!

only question is, a member told me that i have to take of the belt and tensioner pulley to install it. does anyone know if there is ANOTHER way?.....as my tensioner pulley bolt is stripped and i dont really want to deal with replacing the tensioner pulley right now.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
i just got mine in the mail today from patrick and can't wait to install it!

only question is, a member told me that i have to take of the belt and tensioner pulley to install it. does anyone know if there is ANOTHER way?.....as my tensioner pulley bolt is stripped and i dont really want to deal with replacing the tensioner pulley right now.
Mine will generate sufficient slack by simply pulling on the belt between the upper idler and alternator pulleys.

It’ll slide right off. No tools required.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by splinter
Mine will generate sufficient slack by simply pulling on the belt between the upper idler and alternator pulleys.

It’ll slide right off. No tools required.
the belt will just slide off? what pulley do you have? ik i can get it to slide off, but with the tensioner pulley bolt stripped, i'm really concerned about getting the belt back on. i have tried the methods stated and they just loosen my tensioner pulley for some odd reason. the 185 is huge and it takes serious cranking on the tensioner to get the stock belt back on

Old 08-01-2009, 07:19 AM
RPM

I took the idler pulley and belt off. Just used the tensioner to loosen the pressure for removal.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RPM
I took the idler pulley and belt off. Just used the tensioner to loosen the pressure for removal.
yes, i know. but putting the belt back on with the 185 crank pulley without using the tensioner is not possible. it requires ultra cranking on to create sufficient slack to slide the belt back over the pulleys.

Quick Reply: PTE Modded THERMOSTAT installed